Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2003 2:56:26 PM EDT
It strikes me that lazy is the best way to be.  Get other people to do your work, and you get to do nothing but enjoy yourself.  Let's look at a few examples.
1) Lazy at Work.
The best way to be lazy at work is to bitch and moan everytime they give you something to do and act like you're too busy.  Then they'll give it to someone else.  After awhile, they'll quit even asking, they'll just assume you're too busy.  And *presto*, you get to read arfcom all day at work!  Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.  Plus, you can take 2 hour lunches and nobody will notice.
2) Lazy in Relationships.
The person in every relationship with all the power is the one that at least appears to care the least about it.  Marriages, friendships, dating, whatever.  Once you've got all the stroke, you can get away with things like cheating and making your spouse clean the house & mow the lawn.
3) Lazy with your Health.
This one's tough for me, 'cause I like to feel good.  But let's look at things from the lard-ass point of view.  Let's say I work out 1 hr every day from the time I'm 15 until the time I'm 80.  Then figure another hour for chasing around after healthy food.  2 hrs/day x 365 days x 65 years is 47,450 hours, or 1978 days, or 5.5 years.  So lets say being a lardass cuts 10 years off my life.  really it's only cutting 4.5 years off, and at least I would have enjoyed the shit out of the years I WAS alive.  Sure, I might not get as good-lookin of a woman, but that's a small price to pay to just lounge around eating hohos & ringdings all day right?  Plus I'm sure I can just find some fat and/or ugly woman, and as long as I work out #2 from above with her, it'd probably be worth it.

So, what exactly is it that's wrong with being lazy?  I think I'm really starting to come around.  I don't know if I can give up the excercise 'cause I just feel like shit when I don't, but other than that, I think being lazy is the way to be.  Those lazy folks have really got it figured out!

edited the title -DF
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear ya!

But just don't ask me to pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Did Francisco and Hank bag Dagny by being lazy?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I ain't touchin' this one with a ten-foot pole!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
"lazy is the best way to be"

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did Francisco and Hank bag Dagny by being lazy?

Hee Hee!!!    Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#6]
This ones easy for me.

Because I don't know how.

And even if I did, I've got too much pride in myself and who I am to be lazy.

Pretty simple!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I see alot of thought went into this. Good luck
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This ones easy for me.

Pretty simple!

I don't understand.  Pride in what?  Why can't you be proud of the way you manipulated others into doing your work?  Look at Huck Finn (or was it Tom Sawyer?  I can never keep those two straight) and getting  his friends to whitewash his fence.  He was quite proud of himself.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Who says you have to be homeless?  I didn't say be an idiot, I said be lazy.  In fact, if you're properly lazy, and marginally smart about it, you can be the laziest guy in the office and also be the best paid.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This ones easy for me.

Pretty simple!

I don't understand.  Pride in what?  Pride is a function of other's opinion.  How are you going to be proud in a vacuum?

Actually, pride is a function of your opinion of yourself.
The prospect of bagging Dagny is worth it
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This ones easy for me.

Pretty simple!

I don't understand.  Pride in what?  Pride is a function of other's opinion.  How are you going to be proud in a vacuum?

Actually, pride is a function of your opinion of yourself.
The prospect of bagging Dagny is worth it

I changed the original post, but let's run with this for a moment.  In many ways the stars of Atlas Shrugged were lazy.  Perhaps not Hank Reardon, but Dagny and Francisco were born into money.  Francisco supposedly went out and earned his own way, but Dagny simply sat around and waited for the railroad to get handed to her. She just manipulated others into doing what she wanted them to (including all the men in her life actually).  Dagny is the poster child for lazy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#12]
True.  I noted that as well, with fascination.  I didn't know where to put that realization, and I still don't.  Does it strengthen Rand's philosophy, or weaken it?  It almost seems like it would weaken it, but I don't know how such a plot hole would get by Ayn, unless she confined her writing and editing to the hours in which she was tired.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:
home.ripway.com/2003-7/15091/Funny%20Slam%20Pics/homeless.jpg

Who says you have to be homeless?  I didn't say be an idiot, I said be lazy.  In fact, if you're properly lazy, and marginally smart about it, you can be the laziest guy in the office and also be the best paid.

maybe for a little while..i'll agree w/ that..then finally, someone will catch onto your scheme...you get fired...and here we are at square 1 again...nobody likes a freeloader..funny how that works huh?

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Lazy and freeloading is different. Henry Ford liked having some lazy workers around. He said they would figure out the most efficient way of doing a task.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe for a little while..i'll agree w/ that..then finally, someone will catch onto your scheme...you get fired...and here we are at square 1 again...nobody likes a freeloader..funny how that works huh?

You're in the military right?  Got any dumbass officers? guys that don't do shit and you can't figure out how they got there?  Guess what, every big company is like that.  Hell, the laziest guy around is the owner half the time!  The gunshop I used to work at the woman (yes woman) that was the majority owner came in for about 2 hours a day, and didn't do shit for the two hours she was there!

Again, lazy and stupid are two different things.  If you're smart about it you'll never get "caught" and you could just wind up owning the company.
Hell, if you follow this out the it's logical conclusion, the hardest worker in the company is also the dumbest.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're in the military right?  Got any dumbass officers? guys that don't do shit and you can't figure out how they got there?  Guess what, every big company is like that.  Hell, the laziest guy around is the owner half the time!  The gunshop I used to work at the woman (yes woman) that was the majority owner came in for about 2 hours a day, and didn't do shit for the two hours she was there!

Again, lazy and stupid are two different things.  If you're smart about it you'll never get "caught" and you could just wind up owning the company.
Hell, if you follow this out the it's logical conclusion, the hardest worker in the company is also the dumbest.

nah, actually i'm a gov. contractor.  but i dont totally disagree w/ you either.  i see how big companies work..and you are right..you have some that are in fact lazy and abuse the system....but thank God for the people on the other end of the spectrum, the ones that pick up the slackers slack.  as far as the boss man takin the easy ride...that is true for the most part...but i also know that alot of the time its because hes got a "been there done that" kinda attitude, he has in fact...worked his ass off in the past...thats why hes the boss now.  but i see your overall point....sometimes working hard doesnt seem to pay off....especially when you have some slackass in close proximity gettin over on the system while you bust your ass.....i like to make jokes about it as well..i mean hell...look at my sig line....but when it comes down to it.....if i obtain something, i want to work for it...i like the sense of accomplishment that comes w/ it.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Lazy and freeloading is different. Henry Ford liked having some lazy workers around. He said they would figure out the most efficient way of doing a task.

I've always believed that most things were invented simply because somebody wanted to do a task with the least amount of work.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If it weren't for the lazy man the wheel would have never been invented!

Also if you want something done give it to a busy man.  Either he'll delegate it or do it himself; but it won't set around not being acted upon.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I once read somewhere that most of the labor-saving devices in this country were invented by blacks, because they have historically held the labor-intensive jobs and have looked for ways to make them easier.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#20]
First, define lazy.

Is it lazy to do what you want to do and nothing else? Or is lazy just not doing anything?

If it is the first one, then I could live with it. I couldnt live with doing nothing and being a fat slob. It's nothing moral, I'd call it the opposite, I like being in shape and working out, mentally and phyiscally.

So if your definition of lazy is just enjoying yourself then that's cool. Then again what if actually doing things for other people [i.e. working] is how you enjoy yourself then you would be being lazy by that definition but you wouldnt be being lazy in the eyes of society.

So then who decides what is lazy? The person practicing it or society as a whole?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top