Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2018 11:38:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Id be curious to know the parallax characteristics of an etched reticle versus a reflex red dot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Id be curious to know the parallax characteristics of an etched reticle versus a reflex red dot.
View Quote
That's a good question. So to test, zero both at 50m, then shoot one group each with my eye as far to one side as I can see the reticle?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
FDE is in stock.

I FOED!

My eyes are getting older and the ocular focus ring is really nice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have astigmatism, so when I heard this was coming, I got excited. I do have to wonder what I might get out of it that I don’t get out of a Trijicon Reflex sight? The Trijicon doesn’t use batteries, but after about 20 years the Tritium doesn’t do a good job lighting the reticle. That’s not a huge worry for me as I can’t ID a target when it’s that dark out anyway but I never have to worry about a battery leaking or dying.

Is the etched reticle on the cyclops really that much a game changer over a 6moa dot? I’m asking seriously here, I see a need for this optic on the market but I’m just not sure it’s what I need.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The etched reticle will be a lot more sharp  compared to a reflex if you have astigmatism. It's also more precise, whether or not you have astigmatism.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
... great review, thank's Andrew
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Do want!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's a good question. So to test, zero both at 50m, then shoot one group each with my eye as far to one side as I can see the reticle?
View Quote
I think that would be a reasonable test.  Or perhaps tape a 1" piece of foam to the stock to displace your cheek rest the same offset for both optics.

I didn't think to look in the Primary Arms forum to see if this has already been discussed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
... great review, thank's Andrew
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 3:56:09 AM EDT
[#10]
You should compare the brightest setting on this to a setting on the T-1.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a bad astigmatism and bad vision overall.
do you guys think this optic will work for me?  I can not see the fine etchings on my ACOG. Bad vision sucks
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
do you guys think this optic will work for me?  I can not see the fine etchings on my ACOG. Bad vision sucks
View Quote
I don't think any of us can honestly answer that question for you.

I have an ACOG as well as many other PA optics. The ACOG does not have an ocular focus ring like the PA prism scopes have so, you are screwed if your vision degrades with the ACOG. Truthfully, I don't see that much difference in the glass quality between the ACOG and the PA prisms. Yes, the ACOG is better, but is it $1000 better for considering that we are putting it on a carbine rifle?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Will it work? Sure. Unless your vision is absolutely terrible, you will be able to see something. Will you be able to make out detail in the reticle? Hard to say.

Look into Lasik, though. Totally worth it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#14]
So this is where we are now...front page ad and tacked threads for chicom made optics.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So this is where we are now...front page ad and tacked threads for chicom made optics.
View Quote
capitalism is a bitch
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't think any of us can honestly answer that question for you.

I have an ACOG as well as many other PA optics. The ACOG does not have an ocular focus ring like the PA prism scopes have so, you are screwed if your vision degrades with the ACOG. Truthfully, I don't see that much difference in the glass quality between the ACOG and the PA prisms. Yes, the ACOG is better, but is it $1000 better for considering that we are putting it on a carbine rifle?
View Quote
I'd be putting it on my 11.5 AR pistol. As long as I could see the chevron and make accurate shots out 100 yards i will be happy.
the BDC on my ACOG is really faint unless I squint.

Gonna order a cyclops when the black model comes back in stock
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#17]
so how does this fair as a fighting optic? the 1x prism's are meant to be ran both eyes open correct? does that shift the POI away from POA?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you for the review.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Not entirely related, but yesterday I got to run a PA variable with the ACSS reticle out to 300 yards along with my TA-33 ACOG. Took about 10 shots at 8x, it was dead on for the .308 loads my buddy brought. They thought the reticle was busy, I didn’t think so at all and I think they will come to like it once they learn how to use it.

The glass was decent and the reticle was crisp. I’d say that at the 300 yard distances it wasn’t a significant advantage on man sized targets over my TA-33 in terms of time to first shot but last that the PA stop would have been better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, this is where we are. Only one of us seems hurt about it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Great review!

I wish they just made a version with a simple circle and dot reticle ala Eotech.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice review. Presenter did a very good job.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Will it work with a magnifier?
View Quote
Yes, w/the magnifier behind the Cyclops according to PA.

Tomac
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Does the etched glass reticle make it a more precise sight than say my Sig Romeo?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I was excited also when this sight was first being made public. I watched some of the videos and decided to make the purchase. As soon as I opened the box I could see the reticle was disappointing. I had hoped it would be some what larger but it is not. The chevron to me is barely visible, looks like a 1 MOA dot. Yes it does wash out in bright daylight. I wish that PA could have just made the horseshoe  into a chevron itself, a slightly smaller version of the KISS reticle. I have 2 of the KISS reticle 1-6 scopes and love them dearly. Anyhow that's my 2 cents worth if the Cyclops works for others then great and good shooting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does the etched glass reticle make it a more precise sight than say my Sig Romeo?
View Quote
Yes. Absolutely. And the Sig Romeo is just an overpriced Holosun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1
Take it up with all the non-Chinese manufacturers that won't make a decent 1X prism sight for less than two mortgage payments.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#30]
To me, there are three features that differentiate this sight -

1. Price: less than $250 including the base and mount.

2. Adjustable ocular for those needing glasses or with astigmatism (or both).

3.  Etched glass reticle visible in daylight even if battery dies.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1
Don't complain about it, just don't buy it.  Then, if you need a 1X prismatic sight, buy one Made In the USA!
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't get what's so special about this optic, and I see it being peddled everywhere
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a bad astigmatism and I have the vortex spitfire prism sight and it shows up crystal clear
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got the Remeo for $129. If it wasn't on sale for that price I wouldn't of gotten it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't get what's so special about this optic, and I see it being peddled everywhere
View Quote
Alot of people have shitty eye sight, people like me.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
BDC and etched glass reticle at a very competitive price point.  Arguably a BDC on a short gun, designed for 300 yds and in, is of limited utility. The etched reticle, on the other hand, is worth its weight in gold for those of you who subscribe that the second coming is near and he ain't bringing batteries with him.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
and people like me, who hate red dots...and want something different than an Eotech and less expensive than an ACOG
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
BDC and etched glass reticle at a very competitive price point.  Arguably a BDC on a short gun, designed for 300 yds and in, is of limited utility. The etched reticle, on the other hand, is worth its weight in gold for those of you who subscribe that the second coming is near and he ain't bringing batteries with him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or if a bright dots' flare/starburst/duplicate image take up 1/3 of the view in a projector sight.  Be happy if you don't have astigmatism or higher order ocular defects, you can use a simpler optic that just shoots a laser at your eye.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
and people like me, who hate red dots...and want something different than an Eotech and less expensive than an ACOG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, too, can't be said enough.  PA's been very good in the reticle design department with the ACSS series.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I just got mine today so, I have not shot with it yet.

My initial impressions just looking through it is that the chevron is not very big at all. I think this sight is probably not for everyone, but those of us with bad/aging eyes will find it useful. I really can't use iron sights anymore past 100 yard or so. This 1X sight has clear glass and will be a huge improvement over trying to use iron sights.

I don't think it is the end all be all, but rather a solution for certain problems at a reasonable price point with the added bonus of being rugged and fool proof.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I have bad astigmatism and have tried different brands of the cheaper red dots, and they all look like star burst or troll head. This is why I only stick with Spitfire 1x prism from Vortex.

I am excited about this new Cyclops, but it looks too large for me. I did ask PA if they are thinking of making a smaller version the size of their red dot sights and the answer was no.

So I will wait for another manufacturer if they will make a small prism scope.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Ordered one today, looking forward to receiving it Friday or Saturday.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have bad astigmatism and have tried different brands of the cheaper red dots, and they all look like star burst or troll head. This is why I only stick with Spitfire 1x prism from Vortex.

I am excited about this new Cyclops, but it looks too large for me. I did ask PA if they are thinking of making a smaller version the size of their red dot sights and the answer was no.

View Quote
It's pretty small. Just slightly larger than an Aimpoint Micro. Bushnell announced their Little P at SHOT 2008. Not sure if it's on the market yet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#44]
got mine in FDE yesterday, I haven't had time to play with it
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Is FDE the only color option?
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Is FDE the only color option?
View Quote
Black is back in stock!
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I got one!

Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I just picked up the 2.5 and put it on my 40 S&W build. I am very happy for the money.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is roughly the same size and heft of the Vortex Spitfire 1X.   I wouldn't want it any smaller than it already is.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top