Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2001 3:32:45 PM EDT
My 18 year old son called me at 11:00 pm a couple of weeks ago and said some drunk lady who had been beaten up by her husband flagged him down and he did not know what to do. It was in a rural area and he was worried about being a set-up for an ambush so he told me to bring my .45. By the time I got there, two county deputy sheriff's were there. My son told them I was coming and I was packing (concealed permit). When I arrived they did not even ask if I was armed and just told me to stay with my son while they arrested the woman for public intoxication. They politely told my son to program their phone number into his cell phone and to never pick up strangers. They told me thank you for coming! No abuse...just very polite and helpful deputies. Thanks to Faulkner County AR deputy sheriffs!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yippie! Hurrah! Way to go!

Nothing wrong with telling the story. But that is the way they "should" do their job. I'm hoping that someone is going to say that is the way most LEOs would do their job. I'm not sure about that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Most people also don't see the cops doing their job when it's most demanding.
My father retired as police chief and spent 30+ years as a cop.
The average citizen can't even begin to imagine the horrible / violent / gruesome things a cop will be exposed to during a long career as a cop. My dad would tell me of times when smartasses would make a smart remark about "donut-eating cops". Those smartasses only see the cops when they are getting a cup of coffee or a donut.
They don't see the cops picking up broken bodies or having a little baby die in thier arms after an auto accident.
Being a policeman is a thankless job...with very little in return.
Thats why I chose not to follow in my dads footsteps.  
People who are never exposed to the lifestyle will NEVER understand.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
One night while heading home from my second job at 1 AM my alternator went out and I coasted off the highway into a parking lot. My battery seemed dead and it was pitch black. I was dead tired and cold and a 2 mile walk to the nearest phone at a truck stop. I got out of my car and retrieved my flashlight and took off my shoulder rig and gun and layed it on the seat of the car. I opened the hood of the car and and started to check my battery and wiring connections. I heard a car pull in behind mine and saw the flashing lights of a squad car.
I thought to myself; Oh boy, this is all I need, now I'm going to get hastled over my gun and get raked over the coals.
I put both of my hands on the hood where they could planely be seen as the Deputy Sheriff approached the front of my car. He stoped about 10 feet from me and shined his flashlight in my eyes and then gave me a quick scan up and down and asked if I was having trouble with the car. I said; officer I have a loaded gun on the seat of the car and I'm licensed to carry it. He quickly shined his light in the car to look and then looked back at me and said OK, how about the car. I told him that I was checking the wiring and was getting ready to see if it would start. He said go ahead and try so I did and it didn't have enough power to crank.
He asked me if he could call a wrecker for me and I said; no I'll just walk back to the truck stop and call a friend. He said; can I give you a lift and I said yes thank you, would you shine your light in my car so I can get my gun and billfold? I retrieved my gun and billfold and handed him the gun (I figured he would be more comfortable that way). We made small talk and he gave me a lift and before I got out of the car he said here's your gun, don't let anwone in the truck stop see it I don't want to have to come back down here because someone reports a suspicious character with a gun. I thanked him again and he was off.
I know he ran my plate before he got out off his car but he never asked to see my drivers license or carry license he was polite and professional (in my opinion) and I have to say he was a lot cooler than I would have been if the rolls had been reversed.
One of my friends (a sheriffs deputy in the county I live in) said that the guy should of by all rights handcuffed me and made me sit in the back since he didn't know me from Adam. I just think he is one of the good ones!    
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My 18 year old son called me at 11:00 pm a couple of weeks ago and said some drunk lady who had been beaten up by her husband flagged him down and he did not know what to do. It was in a rural area and he was worried about being a set-up for an ambush so he told me to bring my .45. By the time I got there, two county deputy sheriff's were there. My son told them I was coming and I was packing (concealed permit). When I arrived they did not even ask if I was armed and just told me to stay with my son while they arrested the woman for public intoxication. They politely told my son to program their phone number into his cell phone and to never pick up strangers. They told me thank you for coming! No abuse...just very polite and helpful deputies. Thanks to Faulkner County AR deputy sheriffs!
View Quote

OUTSTANDING!!!

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]
This weekend at the range, an off-duty SWAT officer was in the next lane sighting in a rifle.  At the end of the day we were the last two people there, along with the range safety officer, and he offered to let me shoot his MP5-A3.

Very cool and one of the nicest guys I've ever meet.

About ten years ago, while driving home at 2:00 AM, I was falling asleep at the wheel and was pulled over.  The cop noticed my mental state and asked me if I was aware I was going 60 MPH in a 35 zone.  I wasn't.  (Yes, I was that sleepy.)  I apologized and told him that I was sorry for trying to drive home while so tired.  He then just engaged in some small talk.  Just ordinary stuff like what hobbies I had and current running movies.  He let me go with a warning.  Later, I realized that he was testing me to see if was awake enough to get home safely.  Most enlightening of all was that half a mile down the road from where he pulled me over was a 25 MPH turn.  If that cop hadn't pulled me over and woken me up there's no telling what would have happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top