Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2001 1:32:06 PM EDT
[I]"HE has combined with others to subject us to a Jurisdiction foreign to our Constitution, and
unacknowledged by our Laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

FOR protecting them, by a mock Trial, from Punishment for any Murders which they should commit on
the Inhabitants of these States:"[/I] - From the Declaration of Independence

Suit over SWAT team error thrown out

By TOM KERTSCHER
of the Journal Sentinel staff

Last Updated: May 6, 2001

A judge has thrown out a lawsuit filed by a woman who wanted $10,000
for damage and stress she said she suffered when a sheriff's SWAT
team mistakenly broke down her door while serving a search warrant.

Attorneys had predicted that Jennifer Switalski's chances in court
wouldn't be good. But the 27-year-old said Saturday that she plans
to try to revive the case.

As part of a drug investigation, sheriff's deputies obtained a
search warrant for a home in the 300 block of N. 31st St. in the
Merrill Park neighborhood on Milwaukee's west side. They showed up
at Switalski's duplex about 6:30 a.m. Feb. 2, 1998.

No one answered a knock at the door, so the SWAT team smashed it
open, handcuffed Switalski's two tenants and threw them to the
floor as a crying 2-year-old girl watched. A few minutes later,
the deputies realized that the house they had meant to search was
three doors to the south.

Switalski, who lived in the upstairs unit but wasn't home at the
time, filed a claim with the county seeking $10,000 for damage,
lost rental income and "lost sleep and peace of mind." After the
county rejected the claim, she sued last February in Milwaukee
County Circuit Court.

The county, which had offered Switalski $1,100 for damage to the
door but did not want to pay for other alleged damage, asked
Circuit Judge Stanley Miller to throw the case out. [B]He granted the county's
request, ruling that the Sheriff's Department has immunity for its
actions under the law.[/B]

Switalski's lawyer, Stephen Needham of Milwaukee, declined to
comment.

Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
first off, everyone in the story is a civilian.EVEN LEO!!! GET THIS STRAIGHT! ALL NON-MILITARY PERSONEL ARE CIVILIANS. PEOPLE NEED TO STOP SEPERATING THE COPS AND CITIZENS INTO DIFFERENT CATAGORIES BECAUSE WE ARE NOT!! WE ARE ALL UNDER THE SAME NAME,U.S.CITIZENS,ONLY LEO ARE GRANTED POWERS OF ARREST, AND THANKS TO UN EDUCATED CALLING OF NON LEO AS CIVILIANS,THE LEOS ARE NOW CONSIDERED TO BE ABOVE THE CITIZEN STANDARD LIKE THE REST OF US,AND HAVE IMMUNITY FROM SOME OF THE LATEST GUN LAWS.THIS IS NOT RIGHT,AND IS DUE TO THE ILL INFORMED GROUPING OF LEOS INTO A NEW CATAGORY ABOVE THE REST OF THE CITIZENS.NO DISREPECT TO LAW ENFORCEMENT HERE,BUT YOU GUYS ARE THE SAME AS US AND SHOULD RESENT BEING TREATED SPECIAL AND "NON-CIVILIAN" AS THIS ONLY FURTHERS RESENTMENT AND ANTI LEO ATTITUDES AND FEELINGS IN THE GENERAL POPULACE. THE KEY WORD IN LEO IS ENFORCEMENT NOT ABOVE OR BETTERTHAN THE LAW.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Panzer, you're absolutely correct. I had never thought about it that way but you are on the money there.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
thank you cav guy. I'm guessing youre army? Me too.Im a 67T UH-60L black hawk crewchief/gunner. I just get irrate when leo get treated better than the rest of the citizens out of uneducated mislableling.I support leo 110% and and have fought over the cops are assholes on purpose when they pull you over thing a thousand times.Think about this,the cop that pulls you over DOSEN'T KNOW YOU! You could be waiting to kill him,so he is firm and indifferent for his own safety.When do cops get called? ONLY WHEN THERE IS TROUBLE!People don't call the station and say" yeah,could you send a car out,we were grillin out and thought one of the guys might want some of this chicken"its usually something bad,not a pollite call of neighborly kindness.They seldom get the rewards from the community they serve are the easiest to give.Just say thanks for being here one time and see what happens.Probably be in shock and have you checked for drug use,because it just rarely happens.But still they are citizens like the rest of us.As a military person I know I fight for americans that won't fight for me,or the rest of you.thats ok, Iwill fight for the worst,because the best fight with me,or have already fought.Some little punk teenagerasked me with disgust why i was in the army,and I said to him Because you are not.'Nuff said.look after the veterens and the ones still serving.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Amen Panzer. You at Hunter?

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
not at hunter,at Dobbins as full timer for the gaurd.we got 8 up there and are surronded by people with more money and no missions.while we have to wheel and deal for parts all around the country by bribing friends in other units to give us stuff in trade for stuff we have.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#6]
not at hunter,at Dobbins as full timer for the gaurd.we got 8 up there and are surronded by people with more money and no missions.while we have to wheel and deal for parts all around the country by bribing friends in other units to give us stuff in trade for stuff we have.check out this thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=21457

its titled why do leos think they are not civilians?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Imboglio, I've seen your whining about no pussy,and have seen some threads like this implying that you are a cop.

Well, if you're really a cop and can't get any pussy from the cop groupies or ho's you roust every night, then you are truly lame and, you should eat your gun....

If I've come in in the middle of a running joke and you aren't serious about having no "girlfriends", well then continue with the joke, and forget I so rudely interrupted.

It just seems incongruous...
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I am simply fulfiling my new years resolution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top