Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2001 11:00:34 AM EDT
I was watching the series Space Above and Beyond on the Sci Fi channel and have a question.  What is the gun the Marines use on that show?  You can see the reciever and it looks like a tricked out Mini 14. I would like to have one of those stocks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The one I just saw (12:00 est), where some guy wanted to assassinate some alien guy, had a G-3
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it was Dale Dye!  He got killed though.

I am talking about the weapon they act like is the standard issue of the time.  It is green in color and has a bunch of futuristic looking crap on it, but you can tell that there is some kind of base gun under all that plastic.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Many sci-fi weapons are based on real weapons with exterior, cosmetic modifications.  I've got a couple of good contacts that I'll try to confirm this with, but I believe that you're right about the Mini 14.  The M41a Pulse Rifle from Aliens was a combination of the Tompson SMG and a Remington 870 shotgun.  Jim Cameron did the design based around an MP-5, and BAPTY Ltd built up a prototype for him to check out.  When it was demonstrated he decided the MP-5s didn't have enough muzzle flash to look the way he wanted on film.  The only other SMG that BAPTY had in quantity with a brighter muzzle flash was the Thompson.  The big smartguns were based on the MG34 and a Stedi-Cam harnes and arm.  Several of the marines carried HK VP70s and 1911 variants.  Most of the Star Wars stuff was built up around WWII weapons.  The Stormtroopers carried modified Stens (I think?) and both Han Solo and Luke carried dressed up Mauser Broomhandles.  The lightsabres were old camera flash handle dressed up to look pretty.  If you've got other sci-fi weapon questions, feel free to ask.  I've got a couple of good contacts in the industry that are pretty willing to share the knowledge they've acquired.

FWIW,
Adam Jacob
[email protected]
ICQ 47024895 "SoundGoat"
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The pistols they use in SAAB are scoped glocks.

And I think the weapons in Starship Troopers are also mini 14's.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The base gun under the cosmetic crap in Starship Troopers and SAAB (I Think) is the Mini 14 shrouded in the ever-popular Muzzelite BullPup Stock.  Trigger sucks, but you can't beat the size difference.
I have been looking for a Mini with the Bullpup stock for some time... Just for grins.

Apex
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
.....The Stormtroopers carried modified Stens (I think?)....
View Quote

They were  british Sterlings.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I just got offline with one of my contacts who pulled some video footage (he's got the entire series), and he says the SAAB rifle is definately not a mini 14 in a bullpup configuration.  The ejection port and magazine are both in front of the trigger.  I'll post the question on one of the boards I'm on and see if I can get the SAAB folks to come out of the woodwork.  I'll also see if I can get a decent pic uploaded.

You're totally right about the Sterlings.  See what happens when I try to do too many things at once. [>:/]

FWIW,
Adam Jacob
[email protected]
ICQ 47024895 "SoundGoat"
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey guys they dont show that anymore in my area. the last show, the chinese guy was shooting the bad guys from an escape pod and the black girl was dead, they were alone and drifting, so what happen?
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
Hey guys they dont show that anymore in my area. the last show, the chinese guy was shooting the bad guys from an escape pod and the black girl was dead, they were alone and drifting, so what happen?
View Quote

The Chinese guy(Wang)bought it from a chig fighter while laying down fire with that gun.  The black girl and the white girl died on the civilian transport, Col. McQueen died in a sabatoge explosion, the only ones to live were Lt Hawks(I think that's his name) and Lt. Conner(the invetro who was also a Marine on the early Pensacola Wings of Gold).  Hawks found his girfriend and the two Lt's were laying in their bunks and the screen faded to black.  THE END

P.S. The black captin of the ship lived too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The base gun under the cosmetic crap in Starship Troopers and SAAB (I Think) is the Mini 14 shrouded in the ever-popular Muzzelite BullPup Stock.  Trigger sucks, but you can't beat the size difference.
I have been looking for a Mini with the Bullpup stock for some time... Just for grins.

Apex
View Quote

You can order the kit from [url]www.bushmaster.com[/url]

This is what it looks like...

[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/mini14/images/mwg-100.gif[/img]

-[blue]ChaZ[/blue]
View Quote

That is not what either gun looks like.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Kristen Kloke was nice.

The show was cancelled but was given advanced notice so that there would be a final episode of sorts with Operation Roundhammer.  There was a letter writing campaign in attempt to stop the demise of the show, which was not successful, but recognition was given in the final episode by the mention of the 59th (the name of the group of fans that spearheaded the letter writing campaign) trying but failing to stop the chigs (network execs). At that time rumor was floating around that another network possibly was going to pick up the show and is why the door was left open for a continuation of the story, but this also never panned out.

These are the sequence of events as I best can recall them. I will be at the kettle corn stand for any and all dispute resolutions.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#12]
That was the last episode shown in my area too.  The Chigs and "Earth" were talking and the 59th found out that the 'alien' they helped WAS the enemy.

Or was that part 1 of 2....any way, the last I saw was the trasport w/ Wang ding cover fire and their CO being KIA by the bomb on the Saratoga (while in the middle of talks........)

I liked the show.  Too bad the 'free tv' killed it.  Most sci-fi in my area die, unless its Trek.  Too many comedy shows in my ara...
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Sci Fi channel has a thing call Sci Fi World.  Every Wednesday they call it intergalatic land and they air Space Above and Beyond every couple of weeks.  It was also on every Sunday for a while.  That is where I saw the 1st episode.  The DI for the 58th was none other than Lee Ermey.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is snapshot of the rifle.

[img]http://www.planetx.com/space/screencaps/rifle1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#16]
THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS!!! They left me hanging, like the second starwars.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#17]
One more thing, DID WE WIN?(HUMANS)
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#18]
The Chigs frigged us...
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok, round two, or is it three?  I received word from an industry insider who owns a screen used rifle from SAAB.  He says it is a Mini-14, but not in a bullpup configuration.  He is going to try to get pics for us.

The Aliens Pulse Rifle did use a Remington 870 inside the reversed SPAS-12 shell.  Have a look at http://www.encom.demon.co.uk/pr.htm and http://www.encom.demon.co.uk/prcont.htm.  There have been numerous interviews and articles with the folks from BATPY Ltd. in the UK who built all the Aliens weapons, and they always state that it's the 870 in a reversed SPAS-12 cage.   If you look closely at the pics, you'll see that  the front end of the SPAS cage on the pulse rifle is taller than the rear section, when on the actual shotgun, it's the other way around. Check out the big lobby shootout in the Matrix for lots of good SPAS pics.

On another note, one of the BAPTY guys was talking the other day about the Tomb Raider movie with Angelina Jolie.  He said they have gone through more blank ammo on that move than any other film BAPTY has ever done, including Aliens and the Terminator movies.  He also said that Angelina Jolie is a gun girl herself, not at all what he was expecting from a Hollywood actress and that she's really got the gun handling skills down.  I'm telling you I can't wait to go see it.  Gorgeous gal, lots of guns, lots of action . . .

Adam Jacob
[email protected]
ICQ 47024895 "SoundGoat"
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok, round two, or is it three?  I received word from an industry insider who owns a screen used rifle from SAAB.  He says it is a Mini-14, but not in a bullpup configuration.  He is going to try to get pics for us.

The Aliens Pulse Rifle did use a Remington 870 inside the reversed SPAS-12 shell.  Have a look at [url]http://www.encom.demon.co.uk/pr.htm[/url] and [url]http://www.encom.demon.co.uk/prcont.htm.[/url]  There have been numerous interviews and articles with the folks from BATPY Ltd. in the UK who built all the Aliens weapons, and they always state that it's the 870 in a reversed SPAS-12 cage.   If you look closely at the pics, you'll see that  the front end of the SPAS cage on the pulse rifle is taller than the rear section, when on the actual shotgun, it's the other way around. Check out the big lobby shootout in the Matrix for lots of good SPAS pics.

On another note, one of the BAPTY guys was talking the other day about the Tomb Raider movie with Angelina Jolie.  He said they have gone through more blank ammo on that move than any other film BAPTY has ever done, including Aliens and the Terminator movies.  He also said that Angelina Jolie is a gun girl herself, not at all what he was expecting from a Hollywood actress and that she's really got the gun handling skills down.  I'm telling you I can't wait to go see it.  Gorgeous gal, lots of guns, lots of action . . .

Adam Jacob
[email protected]
ICQ 47024895 "SoundGoat"
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#22]
The Starship troopers rifles are M14s in bullpup stocks, DEFINATELY not mini 14s.

Both the rifles and the mags are too big for minis.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I doubt they'd use M14s or M1A1s.  Those firearms are expensive to purchase and shoot, even with blank reloads.  Any competent prop builder could take a smallish mini-14 and increase it's size with a cosmetic shell.  The same goes for the magazines.  I'll do some hunting around and see if I can get some confirmation one way or the other.  Most firearms seen onscreen, unless they are firing, are actually replicas, often cast off firing weapons.  The replicas are usually lighter and if damaged can be easily repaired or replaced.  Foam weapons also don't injur star performers when they are running, jumping, rolling etc. like a real one could.

Adam Jacob
[email protected]
ICQ 47024895 "SoundGoat"
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Agreed that they are expensive, but Hollywood has them, in large numbers:  Full Metal Jacket, (GAG) Born on the 4th of July (Urp), etc.

This means the prophouses have them.

I was issued an M14 at the Citadel, I think I'm right on this.  It took me 2 viewings to sort it out, but the DVD clinched it, the firing weapons are M14s in pretty decent bullpups.

Agreed also that EVERY other one was most likely a resin or whatever cast.

BTW, in your review, pay particular attention to the flashider/front sight, the diameter of the barrel, the charging handle and top of the action, and the mags themselves.  These are the areas that convinced me.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I has my suspicions about them being M14's, but I figured a Mini was a gun you could trash and still sleep at night.

Can you buy a stock like the one on SAAB?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
One more thing, DID WE WIN?(HUMANS)
View Quote

The war was still on.  I think it would make a good movie to wrap up the series.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I've not seen the cosmetic pieces of the SAAB rifle for sale, though I know a couple of guys who could probably make, or help you make them for yourself.  I do know a couple of places you can get a nice resin SST Morita cast off of a screen used prop.  I'd be happy to help you hook up with these folks if you'd like.  

I haven't heard back from my contacts yet, but things like flash hiders, charging handles etc. are pretty easily duplicated, especially when they look cool.  Look at the AR style flash hider on the Glock used in SAAB.  

Adam Jacob
[email protected]
ICQ 47024895 "SoundGoat"
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Chinese guy(Wang)bought it from a chig fighter while laying down fire with that gun.  The black girl and the white girl died on the civilian transport, Col. McQueen died in a sabatoge explosion, the only ones to live were Lt Hawks(I think that's his name) and Lt. Conner(the invetro who was also a Marine on the early Pensacola Wings of Gold).  Hawks found his girfriend and the two Lt's were laying in their bunks and the screen faded to black.  THE END
P.S. The black captin of the ship lived too.
View Quote

This was a terrific series, one of the best SciFi series ever, IMHO.  The one other neat thing about the last episode was that Conner (?), the cloned Marine, was uncharactaristically upset or agitated after the death of their commander, while Hawks, whose girlfriend was presumably killed, was strangely complacent with a tough look or even a try at a "thousand mile stare".

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This was a terrific series, one of the best SciFi series ever, IMHO.  The one other neat thing about the last episode was that Conner (?), the cloned Marine, was uncharactaristically upset or agitated after the death of their commander, while Hawks, whose girlfriend was presumably killed, was strangely complacent with a tough look or even a try at a "thousand mile stare".

GunLvr
View Quote

His girlfriend lived and they kissed right before the end, but she had to leave and he knew he had to keep fighting.  The two Marines that lived glance at each other and saw Wang.  The death of their best friends was tough on them.  What I can't figure out is why it was cancelled.  It has great action, stars, plot, and enemy.  Marines in future fighting aliens, what more could you ask for?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I know a man in Arizona, a Class II manufacturer, who is involved in providing weapons for films.  He told me that the studios dont own anything that goes into a movie but rent or contract for it.  Weapons are owned by a company or individuals who are contracted by the film company to provide the weapons and make them into the configurations they desire.  The company, or representative, then is on scene during the filming so that full-auto weapons (registed machine guns) can be used by the actors since the actors actually are under the supervision of the weapon "owner".  Just like when you rent a machine gun at a range.  You cant own it legally but you can shoot it with the actual owner present and supervising.

A local gunshop has one of the prop guns from that Alien movie.  It is a Thompson M1 wrapped in something else to make it look futuristic.  I have not handled it but I am thinking it may be one of the foam or plastic replicas as it has a kind of fakey pewter looking color.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've not seen the cosmetic pieces of the SAAB rifle for sale, though I know a couple of guys who could probably make, or help you make them for yourself.  I do know a couple of places you can get a nice resin SST Morita cast off of a screen used prop.  I'd be happy to help you hook up with these folks if you'd like.  

I haven't heard back from my contacts yet, but things like flash hiders, charging handles etc. are pretty easily duplicated, especially when they look cool.  Look at the AR style flash hider on the Glock used in SAAB.  

Adam Jacob
[email protected]
ICQ 47024895 "SoundGoat"
View Quote

How much would it cost to have one made for me?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

His girlfriend lived and they kissed right before the end, but she had to leave and he knew he had to keep fighting.  The two Marines that lived glance at each other and saw Wang.  
View Quote

The irony was that both characters did a 180 from the way they started out. That one guy joined the marines just to rescue his girlfriend when she got captured by the chigs after the outpost she was on was attacked but then just wanted to keep fighting after she was found. The tank guy started out not caring about anyone but himself then realized that they were his only family.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
The irony was that both characters did a 180 from the way they started out. That one guy joined the marines just to rescue his girlfriend when she got captured by the chigs after the outpost she was on was attacked but then just wanted to keep fighting after she was found. The tank guy started out not caring about anyone but himself then realized that they were his only family.
View Quote

That is weird.  I wish they would have had a couple of more seasons to develop the story a little more.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I got word from a guy that has both SAAB and SST screen used prop weapons that they are both based on the Mini-14.  No pics though, sorry [:(] I'll keep up the hunt and see what I can find.

On having a cosmetic shell made to go over your Mini-14, I'll make some inquiries and see what I can find out.  The cost would depend on the level of detail and durability you'd want.  My guess would be in the $500 and up range, but that's just a guess.  If you just want a static resin model, prices range from $200 to about $400 depending on the quality of the cast, whether the builder assembles and paints it or if you do that work yourself.  I've not seen SAAB replicas, but I'll do some poking around for you.  Feel free to email or ICQ me if you have other questions.

Adam Jacob
[email protected]
ICQ 47024895 "SoundGoat"  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top