Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2001 7:32:18 AM EDT
I'm thinking of buying a full size, extended cab 4x4 truck with a V8.  Any advice?  I'm curious about reliability and maintenance costs.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I would look at the Toyota Tundra.  That will be my next truck.  The Tundra with the V8 will give you the same towing capacity as a comparible Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.  I've had several Chevy trucks, and one Ford.  All the chevys have had electrical problems.  The Ford was a good truck.
I know two people with Dodges.  One swears by them, one swears at them.  The best truck I've ever had is my Toyota Tacoma.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
thenew GM HD trucks are the finest on hte road. the GMC version has the most power currentally available in a normal truck, far more than dodge. just make it a chevy of GMC Heavy Duty.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]
First of all what are you going to be hauling with it? it its anything substantional I wouldnt mess with a Toyota.  They just arent built the same. I have a hard time believing that they can carry the same weights as a dodge/chevy/ford. I personaly like the diesel engines. Cheaper more reliable less costs of fuel, ALOT more power to tow. The new cummins engines that Dodge is useing are awesome. Alothough I havent had a chance to look into the new Chevy diesels which are make by Izuzu I think. I have head that they will out tow and are faster than Chevy's new big block inthe same truck.

just my $.02
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt

Bushmaster

Colt

Bushmaster.......

[:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#5]
There is no truck in the world that I would choose over a Chevy. I went from a 1988 1500 Ext. cab, long bed 4x4, with 170,000 miles on it (and still running perfectly, with NO major maintenance costs whatsoever, for the life of the vehicle), to a 2000 Silverado Ext. cab LT 4x4 Z71, which is much flashier :)  Anyway, my opinion, when it comes to trucks, there is not an option, its Chevy or nothing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#6]
1977 ElCamino
1984 Silverado
1988 Silverado Z71
1991 Silverado Z71 Extended cab
1995 Ford Flareside ( don't ask )
2000 Silverado Z71

....see a trend ? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#7]
DIzzy im just selling my '77 El Camino right now
was my fathers as he bought it new off the lot and I got it when I turned 16. Damn fine car. just is eating me alive with gas costs Probably the smoothest riding vehicle Ive ever been in
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Snorkel Bob:
DIzzy im just selling my '77 El Camino right now
was my fathers as he bought it new off the lot and I got it when I turned 16. Damn fine car. just is eating me alive with gas costs Probably the smoothest riding vehicle Ive ever been in
View Quote

thats weird dude .... my Dad gave me that El Camino when I turned 16 too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#9]
My friendly locaal mechanic will tell you that Dodges, and chryslers in general are not particularly reliable. even if this is untrue, chrysler parts will cost you twice what Ford parts do and maybe three times what Gm part would. Any if you'r in it for the long haul with your new truck, this is important.

I've also heard good things about the Toyota, but again, foreign expensive parts, and I'd wait it a few years to lt them get all the kinks out of a new design. Buy the GM - it'll always be there for you.

Snowmaster
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#10]
The Tundra is a nice truck (my brother-in-law just bought one) but it doesn't have the same kick in the pants that the Chevy I owned or my fathers 2001 4x4 HD with the 6.0 liter in it.

Chevy has the most powerful V8's out there right now. Even the 5.3 (replaced the 350) has 290 horsies from the factory with 285ft-lbs of torque. I would go with the Chevy. It seems that even though their cars are junk, they pride themselves in the quality of the trucks.
just my .02
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Hear Bob Seger singing in the background?

LIKE A ROCK.....
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#12]
What are you going to use the truck for? If plan on doing more than just commuting and occassionally hauling home a few sacks of groceries a couple sticks of lumber from the store, I'd stay away from the Toyota. They just aren't built tough.

Between the Dodge Ram and the GMC Sierra, the only edge the Ram has at all is the diesel engine and the more durable solid front axle in the 4WD models. Chrysler's gas engines are nothing to write home about, their automatics have the worst reputation of the big 3, and their overall build quality is somewhat lacking, IMO. I'd go with the GMC, which is exactly what I did 7 years and 150,000 miles ago. Haven't looked back since and haven;t had a need to.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I own a '99 Dodge 24Valve Cummins and a 2001 Chevy Duramax. They are both 2500, Ex-cab long bed 4x4's. I prefer the Dodge for HEAVY loads. The  Chevy is also great but, I prefer the low end torque of the straight six Cummins. I weighed Monday with a load of hay and crossed the scales at a whopping 27,120#(no sh@t). Pulls great . It is my work truck so it gets used hard. I love the Cummins part but the Dodge parts arn't the best. The Dodge has almost 100,000 miles and I have had no engine problems. Just change the oil and run down the road! The Dodge has a 4" straight exhaust and a K&N filter other than that it is stock. You will not go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#14]
[img]http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=view_photo&ID_Community=JDLawhon&ID_Topic=2&ID_Message=5[/img]

[url]www.geocities.com/jdlawhon[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I own a 99 ram 2500 xcab with the cummins...my second dodge..love it..had two fords and a gmc gassers nothing compares to the cummins..dodge faults: front  brakes and tires... remedied this with carbomet pads on the front and just got some BFG AT 285x75R 16s- other good uns are the 315s in the same series...I have worked my trucks in the woods hauling logs firewood and cement blocks...the dodge has those big danas...but were i to buy a gasser again Id stick with the Fords...single axle one ton with manual front locking hubs...they ever put a cummins in a ford Ill swtich in a NY second
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Id advise staying away from the manual if you are a serious hauler get the High Output motor..the snowplow prep front end..and the six speed man tranny..and check out the TDR (Turbo Diesel Registry) web site ...get your questions anwserd by the experts..sort of the cummins equivolent of ar15dotcom
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#17]
[url]http://www.turbodieselregister.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks everyone for the input.  I'm not going to do any serious hauling, and I would be looking for something in the 1500 range with an off-road package and the larger gas V8.  I guess my biggest concern here is reliability.  Also, what about rust, and how prone are these to stupid stuff breaking (knobs breaking, stereo breaking, trim coming off, etc.)?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like you’re in the Toyota range.
Can’t beat a yota for reliability and resale.
Look into TRD offroad packages.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Well ill probably get slammed for this but....WHAT ABOUT FORD. I have an f150 supercab with the 5.4(?)l and i love it!!!no problems my second one in 5yrs.

All your dodge and chevy are belong to us!!!!
PS i may be a little biased, i DO live in michigan [:D]

edited because im an illiterate idiot![:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey Blldawg, that looks just like mine eccept that I have a light bar.

My dodge is bullet proof. But I did have to get the tranny rebuilt at 70k. Wait for the 2002 Dodge models to come out. Redesign from the ground up including independent front suspension for the 4x4.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Chimborazo, does your nickname come from a that of a volcano in Mexico??

Back to the ??, a good friend of mine has the dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab and my grandfather just picked up a 2002 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab with every option available, (the onstar is pretty fun to play with).

My friends dodge was rolled when he hit a patch of ice at 75 miles an hour, he went off the road and made 3 complete rolls into a pile of rocks. The cab was smashed level with the seats, luckily they weren't wearing their seatbelts or they'd be a few inches shorter. The truck landed on it's tires, all tires where blown off, the truck started right up and you could still open all 4 of the doors, The truck was totaled but seemed to protect what it needed to.  

I drove my grandfathers new truck 130 miles from the dealer to his house, the new GMC's ride like a cadilac, totaly plush, quite, lot's of power. In this area that I live in is dominated by farming and dairies. You see the dodges being used as work trucks and the GMC/chevys being used as the around town trucks.  I think it comes down to what you plan on doing with them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#25]

I have a 96 RAM 1500 with 120,000 miles on it.  The unscheduled repairs I've had are a $150 stearing dampner, $150 oil pressure sensor, and the gas guage is broken ($350, not worth it, going without).  The rest was just normal maint items.  (tires, brakes, etc)

I would buy one again.  If you get the Dodge, besure you get the 5.9l v8 and not the 5.2l, the 5.2 is far too small and wears out quickly.

Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the quad cab 2500 4x4 with the diesel engine with a 5 speed. I regularly get 20+ MPG's, and I DO NOT baby it.
For towing, this is the shit.
If youre just putting around town, anything you said would probibally suffice.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Read in one of the major car magazines that Dodge will be bringing back the Hemi in 2002 in the new Dodge Trucks.  By the way I have a 98 Quad Cab with the 318 that will walk away from a co-workers 2000 Chevy extended cab.  This is my second Dodge truck since the new body style was introduced and I have had only one issue with a defective fuel pump in my 94.  Other that that they have been bulletproof(gun content).[:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:31:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Chimborazo, does your nickname come from a that of a volcano in Mexico??
View Quote

It comes from a volcano in Ecuador...but maybe there is a Chimborazo in Mexico too.  Anyway, the truck would not be for hard use, so it sounds like I'm leaning more toward the GMC.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Pick the GMC!!!  Dodge always get called 'Damn Dodge' every time you go have to work on it, MOPAR parts are terribly expensive.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a 1992 GMC 2500 pickup, 209,000 miles, Running strong!

-Jared
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Why not a Ford Super Duty? Why mess around with all of those little, GM, DO*G*, and TOYota trucks? [:D] SamC
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Read in one of the major car magazines that Dodge will be bringing back the Hemi in 2002 in the new Dodge Trucks.  By the way I have a 98 Quad Cab with the 318 that will walk away from a co-workers 2000 Chevy extended cab.  This is my second Dodge truck since the new body style was introduced and I have had only one issue with a defective fuel pump in my 94.  Other that that they have been bulletproof(gun content).[:D]
View Quote

I guess its no secret which truck i'd pick.

As far as the RUMORS about reliability go,I can only guess where those started.

Yes, MOtor PARts (MOPAR) parts do tend to cost a bit more, its called quality.

Why get a Shivvey or a Phord.....

Shivvey's to heavy and i'm bored with Phord.
[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#33]
FORD THEN DOGE THEN CHEVY.TOYOTA FULL SIZE HA HA HA .AMERICAN FULL SIZE TRUCKS ARE THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN.HELL EVEN THE LITTLE FORD RANGERS ARE A BETTER VALUE THAN JAP TRUCKS .TOYS ARE WAY OVERPRICED.IF YOU DONT THINK FORD RANGERS RULE THE LITTLE TRUCK MARKET LOOK AROUND THEY SELL ALL THEY CAN MAKE AND THEY MAKE A BUNCH.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#34]
FORD THEN DODGE THEN CHEVY.TOYOTA FULL SIZE HA HA HA .AMERICAN FULL SIZE TRUCKS ARE THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN.HELL EVEN THE LITTLE FORD RANGERS ARE A BETTER VALUE THAN JAP TRUCKS .TOYS ARE WAY OVERPRICED.IF YOU DONT THINK FORD RANGERS RULE THE LITTLE TRUCK MARKET LOOK AROUND THEY SELL ALL THEY CAN MAKE AND THEY MAKE A BUNCH.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top