Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2018 10:48:42 AM EDT
I'm just wondering why the Colt King Cobra, Anaconda, Python and whatever else snakeish is selling so high. I accidentally traded my King Cobra for a Mini 14 ooooops. That was like 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Mainly because people keep paying more for them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Well they don’t make them anymore so....
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't make them anymore plus demand. They look nice. I'd like to have one. But I'm meh on the trigger and generally have no faith in a Colt keeping time. If I found one for a reasonable price, I'd probably buy one anyway.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#4]
It’s called supply and demand.

Personally I’ve never understood the draw to Colt revolvers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine who is 84 years old has a NIB SS Anaconda.  I told him what it was worth and he had no idea.  He also has a pristine Python, blued.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I think their time is almost over.  I see alot of them selling for $2-4k, but I don't see alot of them getting sold for that price.  They just tend to sit around in gun shops.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Supply and demand.  No longer produced.  There are still bargains to be had in the Colt revolver world, Troopers for instance, but it's getting harder and harder.  Last night I picked up a minty Officers Model Match and an equally nice Detective Special.  $1250 for the pair.  My dealer friend had recently bought a small collection.   All the snake guns (I think there were eight) sold to one guy in less than a week.  I snagged the OMM and DS.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#8]
At gunshow in tulsa  my son found and bought a really nice 38 special diamondback.  About 2k  cash , the thing is a work of art.  Highly polished blue finish and smooth action.  Colt revolvers are very nice and people really want them.  The craftsmen who made them are retired or dead now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#9]
IDK, but I bought my Anaconda new for $600.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm willing to bet that Colt will eventually tool up to produce more when they think that they can profit off it thus confusing the market.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Increased pop culture appearances.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Because they are fine looking Colt weapons that are no longer made.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm just wondering why the Colt King Cobra, Anaconda, Python and whatever else snakeish is selling so high. I accidentally traded my King Cobra for a Mini 14 ooooops. That was like 10 years ago.
View Quote
Why? Where have you been?

To trade a Cobra for a pile of shit mini your a few fries short of a super size anyway. How do you trade one accidentally?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet that Colt will eventually tool up to produce more when they think that they can profit off it thus confusing the market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They did bring back the .38spcl Diamondback?,  maybe the Python will be next.  Not sure how the quality of these new ones are, pretty sure they cost more than a comparable Smith or Ruger
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
At gunshow in tulsa  my son found and bought a really nice 38 special diamondback.  About 2k  cash , the thing is a work of art.  Highly polished blue finish and smooth action.  Colt revolvers are very nice and people really want them.  The craftsmen who made them are retired or dead now.
View Quote
This answers the OP's question combined with now out of production.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I think we have already seen "Peak Python".  The rarities (3" BSS, NIB 4" blue", Combat) continue to go up in value, it seems shooter grade guns are lower than they were a year ago.  I think the price just got to high.  Even if Colt were to produce new Pythons they wouldn't be anywhere near the quality of the originals.  Have you handled one of the new Cobras?  Lol.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Cause saying you own a pistol with a snake name is cooler than a bulls name.

Plus supply and demand.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a 4” nickel plated one.

Put vintage A/C on a guys 57 Chevy and he paid me with that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Their value makes far more sense than people paying over $1000 for any AK or any of the boutique ARs.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#20]
News flash, OP. Colt stopped making those revolvers a long time ago. Take a popular item and stop making it and the price (demand) tends to go up. I'd love to have a mint condition Colt Python with the special factory tuned action with 4" barrel. But, I don't have $3,000 to buy one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#21]
FPNI. I will say as a disclaimer that I’ve never shot one, but from what those who have shot them/owned them have told me, they are really no better functionally than an equivalent S&W.

They were very nicely made, beautiful guns that were more expensive than the competition they were new, as a result we see market dynamics similar to the classic car market: all of the guys that wanted Pythons or Anacondas when they were young couldn’t afford them then and are willing to pay ever higher prices for them now; prices they would never command on their own merits. They’ve become collectors items and little more.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#22]
They are nice pistols, very nice.  Plus lots of nostalgia, and just plain old collectors fervor.  Just like with Winchester rifles.

If it were nothing but quality driving it, similar aged S&Ws would be selling for more.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They did bring back the .38spcl Diamondback?,  maybe the Python will be next.  Not sure how the quality of these new ones are, pretty sure they cost more than a comparable Smith or Ruger
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A mint condition Colt Python is selling for about $3,000 today. One with that special factory tuned action would run more than that. If Colt were to find craftsmen that could recreate the Colt Python, especially the one with that special factory tuned action, I'd pay $2,000 for a brand new one, maybe more if they are as good as the originals. But, I have a feeling that they won't. Or, if they did they would not find skilled gunsmiths good enough to replicate the originals. But, if they did, I'd be selling some guns to be able to afford to buy one. Oh, and to compare Smith and Wesson or crappy Ruger to a Colt Python is total ignorance. That's like comparing a S&W 1911 or a Sig 1911 to a Wilson Combat 1911.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Mostly because they aren't made anymore and also because they are in fact very well made guns. Some models are becoming scare, and people hold onto them as investments. Whether that's a good investment, who knows, time will tell.

I owned a bright stainless python for about 3 years, and still own a brushed 4" anaconda. Both are awesome guns to shoot, but the python got me an offer I couldn't refuse, so it left to go to another happy home.

Back in the day, the python fetched a premium because it was probably the most accurate 357 made. The way the cylinder locked up and the crane and pawl held tension made it extremely accurate. This same system also led to the python wearing and going out of time pretty quickly if it was fed a steady stream of full power 357 loads. I personally know people who shot their pythons out of time with under 2,000 rounds of 357. But 20 years ago it was easy to find parts and also find a good smith who knew how to work on pythons. These days its getting harder and harder to find a good smith who really knows how to hand fit the parts on a colt to make it run true and keep it timed.

Given the choice of a python or a new no-lock 686 tuned by the performance center, I would take the 686 every time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Back in the early 80's my dad picked up a 4" nickel python for about $ 300.00 from a guy that thought he wanted to be a trooper.  Guy dropped out of the academy and sold the gun. When I told my dad a few years ago what the snake guns value was up to he was shocked.  It also led to a frantic search for where he had put away the original grips after putting a set of pachmeyers on years ago.  Thankfully they were found.  It is the most balanced, best trigger, extension of my hand that I have ever shot in a revolver.  The only drawback it has in my mind is the number of rounds, but it you can't stop whatever it is after 5 rounds of .357 ,  or get to something that will, use the last round on yourself.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here.

I've owned more than 1 Colt revolver.  I regard them as fragile, compared to other manufactures, especially Ruger.

To be honest, though, I did have a 4" Peace Keeper almost 30 years ago that was a damned good gun, and super accurate, to boot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Sure didn't hurt. I picked mine up a long time ago just because it was a really, really nice revolver. The value increasing like it has is a nice bonus, but can't say I have any inclination to sell it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

To trade a Cobra for a pile of shit mini your a few fries short of a super size anyway. How do you trade one accidentally?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy who got a Cobra by trading a mini 14 probably still laughs about it to this day.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I should engrave my Python.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I should engrave my Python.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
It was 17 years ago when I did the trade. I been thinking about getting one
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:29:17 AM EDT
[#34]
I got my Diamondback for less than $200 new back in the 70's.  By the time I decided to get a Python the price had increased enough I decided to get something else.  Who knew where the prices were heading eventually?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
What he said.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:41:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I accidentally traded my King Cobra for a Mini 14 ooooops. That was like 10 years ago.
View Quote
doh.....that was an insane thing to do even ten years ago.....lol
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:49:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't make them anymore plus demand. They look nice. I'd like to have one. But I'm meh on the trigger and generally have no faith in a Colt keeping time. If I found one for a reasonable price, I'd probably buy one anyway.
View Quote
Let me guess, this is because you read it on the internet, but have never actually owned one, right?

I have put many thousands of rounds through several Pythons, a Trooper, and a King Cobra.  None of them ever went "out of time".  The Python triggers are phenomenal, not "meh".  King Cobra and Trooper triggers are "meh", but still better than most stock Smiths.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Got this one a few weeks ago.  The trigger shoe is gone and it has an Ameriglo front sight blade now.

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#39]
You can still get into the "snake" game for 1K and under with the Colt Cobra.

I picked-up this 1968 1st issue one this past April for $550.00 at a local pawn shop.

It's clean but not perfect.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top