Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2001 6:04:43 PM EDT
I need to replace the mag tube on my 590A1.  Anyone know how to go about doing this?

Thanks,
Bradd
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I used my Mossy to pry my combat buddy out of a burning tank and bent the mag tube in the process...and if you believe that...actually, the area under the mag cap has gotten bent up from removing the spring retainer and it's gotten kinda difficult getting the mag cap on and off.

Bradd
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Replace it with an 870.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I probably would if I thought I'd be getting a better shotgun! [:D]

Bradd
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bradd D:

Bradd
View Quote

That goes down as one of my favorite replies!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:55:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Bradd
View Quote

LMAO!   Preach it Bro!

Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The damaged mag tube was caused by operator error...

I had NO problem taking my Mossy apart... perhaps it's the DWDROM syndrome?

-[blue]ChaZ[/blue]

P.S.- DWDROM=Dimwits Who Doesn't Read Owner's Manuals
View Quote

I'm sure the answer to my question is in there somewhere, but since my reading comprehension skills are a little lacking I'll just have to wait for a reply with less technical jargon.

Bradd
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

P.S.- DWDROM=Dimwits Who Doesn't Read Owner's Manuals
View Quote

By the way, Einstein, I believe it's "Dimwits Who [b]Don't[/b] Read Owner's Manuals".
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure the answer to my question is in there somewhere, but since my reading comprehension skills are a little lacking I'll just have to wait for a reply with less technical jargon.

Bradd
View Quote

I thumbed through my manual yesterday in hopes of coming up with a quick answer for ya. After about 10 minutes, I gave up.  I have had the barrel off of mine in an attempt to install a factory heat shield, but that is as far as I have been into it.  Not sure if the tube is threaded into the receiver, or what.  Without actually tearing into mine, I can't help ya.  Plenty of guys around here know the specifics.  Surely, someone will throw ya a bone before long.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I thumbed through my manual yesterday in hopes of coming up with a quick answer for ya. After about 10 minutes, I gave up.  I have had the barrel off of mine in an attempt to install a factory heat shield, but that is as far as I have been into it.  Not sure if the tube is threaded into the receiver, or what.  Without actually tearing into mine, I can't help ya.  Plenty of guys around here know the specifics.  Surely, someone will throw ya a bone before long.  
View Quote

Thanks, Cope!  I'm glad somebody is willing to give me an intelligent reply!  By the way, be careful putting that heat shield on.  It's a very tight fit going past the barrel bands.  I used a pair of pliers to spread the shield apart.  Go slow!

Bradd  
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I know the 500 srews into the frame. On the 590 there may be a set screw insibe the reciever.

not verry detialed sorry.On the way to the shop now will look at a 500 but dont know if there the same.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Thanks, Cope!  I'm glad somebody is willing to give me an intelligent reply!  By the way, be careful putting that heat shield on.  It's a very tight fit going past the barrel bands.  I used a pair of pliers to spread the shield apart.  Go slow!

Bradd  
View Quote

Bradd,

You mean you actually got the factory shield on a 590[b]A1[/b]?  I tried like hell to spread the shield apart just enough to slide over the end of the barrel.  I deemed it pretty much impossible without scratching the barrel, big time!  I wound up selling the shield, and am currently living without one.  I have my sights fixed on one of these as the next addition to the A1.  Should be available in a couple months.
[img]http://www.knoxx.com/New%20Images/COPstockSwatBlue.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Cope - Can you tell me where one might acquire the kind of stock that is featured in that picture?
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Mag tube is threaded into the reciever.later ones had loctite too.heat the reciever with propane or mapp gas for a few minutes until it liquifies then unscrew while hot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#15]
[url]http://www.knoxx.com/new_products.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Cope,
I put the shield on a 590.  I won't even attempt it on my 590A1!

FNC,
Thanks!  I figured that was all there was to it.

Bradd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top