Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2001 3:34:30 PM EDT
Does an 07 FFL allow me to be a dealer as well as a gunsmith, or do I also have to apply for an 01 to be a dealer?  I think an 07 FFL has dealer privileges as well.  Anyone know for sure? The ATF is closed at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I also need to know what to put for "work hours", as I will be working out of home.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not an FFL but I've been thinking about getting one (out of my home as well).  From what I've read I'd put hours when ATF agents arn't working, ie.: Mon-Fri 6:30pm-9:00pm.  Just be prepared to let them in your place of business during the hours you send them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you put any hours you want, for ex. 8pm-8:15pm on tuesday night? And can you make a specific room of your house into the "office", that way they can't go into the rest of your house?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
hg112,

I can put what ever hours I please on what ever days.  However, I recall someone here posting that his grandfather had problems with the ATF over the hours he put down, and I can't remember who it was nor the details.  As far as the "office" is concerned, I do have one set up in its own room.  However, during the inspection period the field agent also examines the gun storage facility as well as gunsmithing tools for an 07 application.  Fortunately, the smithing tools can be common hand tools.  

Deep down, you and I both know that the ATF will be able to go where ever they want in my house one way or another if they really wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had the 07 FFL for about 15 years now.
I am not answering questions with any authority though.  On the application you want to state that you do business by appointment only.  As far as dealing yes you can.  You should use a little common sense with this though.  If you advertise, always advertise your service, like scope mounting, refinishing etc.  You should get in contact with Brownell's and get some claim tickets, tools and supplies for gunsmithing.  I was audited about five years ago, really scrutinized my paperwork.  It pays to be orderly.
You will need to familiarize yourself with your state and federal laws.  BATF will give you the books to read.  As a tax benefit you will want to dedicate a space to be used exclusively for your work.  BATF will ask you about security on the application.  The more locks on your doors the better, even better if you have canine security.

My 5.56cents,
Doug
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top