Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2001 7:46:58 AM EDT
I recently purchased a FAL with the Tapco muzzle brake that BATF is now jerking DSA's / Tapco's chain on, claiming it is a "flash suppressor." yeah, right. I don't want ot get into specifics right now, I've finally got my blood pressure regulated over this one.

Anywho, DSA has offered to replace the brake with essentially a steel pipe (I'm sure they will do fine work) but it won't even offer the benefits of a brake - I might as well just have a crowned barrel. DSA will also throw in 4 20 round mags for my trouble.

Question is "Should I do it??"

Or should I send DSA a liability release, and let ATF come get me???

I won't give you any of my own opinions, cuz i want yours.

thanx.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#2]
won't it be grandfatherd in some how? if not is there another brake avable? free mags are free mags.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, it will be grandfathered. Just like this postban AR with a flash suppressor and bayo lug Im building right now to sell on the for sale board. Just because a company rather than an individual broke BATFs stupid bullsh*t laws doesn't mean they are going to bend the rules for them. If that was the case why would they even say anything to them in the first place?

I agree, tell them to send you the brake and your mags and that you'll put it on yourself. Personally, I would probably just keep the mags, sell the brake and leave the gun the way it is.

Michael
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Did DSA request a release?  

Even if they didn't, I suspect BATF is aware of this gross violation of public safety and will extract a list of DSA Stg58 customers (Ve haf vays of makingk you talk) and hunt them down like the threats to society they are.

Wasn't that brake on the rifle you sold to that guy from Anderson?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Paul, I guess I'm in the boat with you.  Getting PCS'd the end of June going to FL.

What are the facts of this case?  Did or did not Tapco have a prior approval from BATF of their MB?  Is DSA just trying to suck it up and avoid any conflict?

Keep the mags, put the money in the legal fund!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Question is "Should I do it??"

Or should I send DSA a liability release, and let ATF come get me???

I won't give you any of my own opinions, cuz i want yours.

thanx.
View Quote

Let me see here.....Seems like I asked for your opinion on this matter last week and your response went something like this.
[b] "I wopulnd't be so presumptuous as to suggest what you should do. The stakes may indeed be too high."[/b]  Good luck.  [^]
Seriously though.....

Another option you could exercise is have DSA install their SA58 muzzle brake.  I have been following this issue fairly closely on several boards, and I have seen at least one person state that DSA agreed to do this for him.  Another poster commented that he has both, and the SA58 brake was less effective than the STG58 brake.  I would think that it would still be better than the barrel weight they are offering as the initial replacement.  

I know that I am gonna be ticked if they grandfather these in, because I just missed the cutoff.  For you guy's sake, I hope they do. Ultimately,  I am still hoping that the independent lab reports will sway the ATF to reconsider.  I am still playing it by ear before I place my order.

Think about the advice you gave me about bucking the IRS, and then decide.

Joe
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Let me see here.....Seems like I asked for your opinion on this matter last week and your response went something like this.
[b] "I wopulnd't be so presumptuous as to suggest what you should do. The stakes may indeed be too high."[/b]  Good luck.  [^]

Joe
View Quote

Dang man. I HATE IT when people use my own good sense AGAINST me. [:D]

the ONLY difference here is that the IRS is very much set up to crack down on you.

The ATF isn't (yet)

Yeah, I'm considering all options. My gut feeling is that there is a good chance ATF will back off their tom-foolery on this one, based on the scientific data available. "Course, they never let a little "scientific data" stop them before.

I've written President Bush, Mr. Ashcroft, Treas Sec O'Neill, BOTH my senators, my Rep in the House, ATF, even a local newspaper about this one. I've done 'bout all I can.

Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually, I like the looks of the SA58 brake better than the STOLL look-alike.  Even if the STOLL clone is more effective, how much more can it be?  FAL's are soft shooting (relatively) 308s already.  

According to reports, the IRS isn't supposed to be as overzealous about chasing people.  Factors cited were manpower shortages and congressional scrutiny of their heavy handed tactics.  The article I read went on to say that this should not serve as an incentive to cheat on your taxes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Do nothing. I have been told that the "assault weapon" ban will sunset in 3 years and things will be back to normal.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree that you should wait and find out what the butt f....  batf has to say.  They need to pull their heads out their rectums again and listen to common sense.  They can't just arrest you, they have to give you notice on the issue first.  If they do come, tell them that you are contacting your lawyer and his first call will be to the head of the Treasury department because of the lack of notice.
Good luck
Ice
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Imbroglio,

Was that sunset info. from a "reliable" source?

HillBilly
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#13]
GM, tell em to send you the new brake and you'll put it on yourself.  Then you can do whatever you feel is right.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
GM, tell em to send you the new brake and you'll put it on yourself.  Then you can do whatever you feel is right.
View Quote
                                           Agree....at least to try and keep the company in compliance..."tecnically"......[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#16]
All I can say is.... the ATF is the ATF and they can pretty much do as they please, legal or not. I wrote them a very simple request for information LAST JULY, regarding how they determine what is a brake and what's a flash hider, also, what methods of attachment for brakes on post-ban rifles would they buy. I know how some shops are doing it, threaded on-blind pinned-welded over the pin.... I was asking about methods that would not require any barrel threading, and, how about machined directly into the barrel. I have contacted them numerous times since then and can't get an answer other than, "We're working on it". It is so unbelieveable that here we have something that a citizen is asking about so as not to unwittingly commit a violation.... they not only don't have this information already printed and available, they just don't know. They never thought about the questions I have asked them, and it sure looks like they like it that way so they can make it up as they go depending on what they find in the next raid. They can come to my house in the night, blow the door, machinegun me into a wheelchair and then wheel me into a prison cell, but they can't tell me ahead of time what is and what is not a violation. They don't know or they don't want us to know. What kind of law enforcement is that?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yep, it will be grandfathered. Just like this postban AR with a flash suppressor and bayo lug Im building right now to sell on the for sale board. Just because a company rather than an individual broke BATFs stupid bullsh*t laws doesn't mean they are going to bend the rules for them. If that was the case why would they even say anything to them in the first place?

I agree, tell them to send you the brake and your mags and that you'll put it on yourself. Personally, I would probably just keep the mags, sell the brake and leave the gun the way it is.

Michael[/quote it was aproved once to sell or do you think that Tapco made these to fu*k everyone over.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
refund
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top