Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2001 2:13:21 AM EDT
I have come across a little extra money, and am thinking of one of the two:
1) A nice, used Springfield M1A bush model.
2) Customizing my Colt Competition HBAR with free-floating handguard, trigger job, and possibly high-end scope (Leupold, Dr.Optics, or used U.S Optics SN-4).
Keep in mind that I do own several AR's, although not in any "long distance" sniper configuartions- and I don't currently own any M1A type.  I do own a custom 700 for long, distance .308 duty work.
Any feedback is appreciated.
thanks,
ptp
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with the M1A! [beer]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:33:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind, since I don't currently own an M1A system, I'll have to restock on everything (ie. mags, extra .308, scope mounts, parts, etc.) that I won't have to for my AR.
Just my .02c
thanks,
ptp
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#3]
That's what makes it interesting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Venture out and be bold!  Get the M1A!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:36:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Actualy the scope and mounts could be interchangable and if you already own a 700 in .308 you alread have ammo.  If you reload you'll want to keep brass seperate, but ather than that magazines are the only issue.

You do need a self loading .308 and if the wife gives you any crap you just send her over to see mtnpatriot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a M1A and love it dearly, I would sooner give up any other rifle in my collection.
Not to go against Halfcocked, but interchanging scopes is a slow and tedious process. Dedicated optics is the way to go. Zero weapon, forget about it, check every so often to insure zero is still valid.
I would shoot the M1a sans optics for a good long time. If you get a good one with NM sights you will be able to smack people sized targets out to 600 yds. I tried to scope mine and eventually took it off to save wieght. Now I wont go back. There is not a better iron sight system than the NM M1A/M14
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:34:03 AM EDT
[#7]
M1A.If you dont get the mags now they wont be anything but more expensive.I bought mine when you could grt them for 10.00.Now I have enough that there worth more than the 3 M1A's I own.ever try to explain that to an insurance company.Everyone might want to add up there acc.you might be surprised how much it would be to replace them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:59:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the M1A.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:04:44 AM EDT
[#9]
PTP -

What's your plans for the Bush M1A?? I'm guessing NOT match shooting with a BUSH rifle.

For anything BUT match shooting in a semi auto .308, I would get a DSA STG-58A.

Here's why -

1. Rifle and scope mount - $868.
2. Mags - $5 to $8
3. Integrated bipod
4. AR-type recoil.
5. Pistol grip
6. Adjustable gas - can be turned into a single shot. No recoil = bolt gun accuracy (almost.) At least enuf accuracy to rival the M1A.
7. Fit and finish rivalling anything Springfield Armory is currently uttin out. (Yes, I own an M1A.
8. Take teh money saved and buy GOOD optics, and 2 cases of ammo.

At least think it over.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with you Rich.  The only reason I brought it up was P-tP expressed concern about it in his 2nd post.

BTW the actual mounts would not be inter- changeable (not needed but may improve stock/cheek weld on AR)but the rings would be.  Quality scope mount or riser for AR will be cheaper, if that's the way you want to go.  I used the Weaver See-thru rings and it gives the 50mm bell on my Leuplod about 3/8" clearance with no additional screws to come loose and a decent stock weld on my A4.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#11]
The pistol grip is out... P-tP is in the PRK...  I don't know if the gun itself is on the list, but the pistol grip was deemed evil on SB23...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top