Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2001 8:08:37 PM EDT
Well, I finalized everything today and my app for my FFL gos out tomorrow... about how long should I expect to wait for it to return? Also when if they will at all call me about inspecting the business premises? how does that go? Any other hints or tips would be great. TIA SKSseven
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It took about two months for me to recieve my FFL.  However, it probably would have only been one month if the County Commissioners for Okaloosa County, Fl hadn't secretly passed an ordinance banning the sales of firearms and ammo in the county, but this didn't apply within city limits.  The Feds required that I have permission from the County Commissioners and they wouldn't give it to me.  Since there had been a firearm business there before me the County grandfathered the business and I was able to get the FFL.  I almost gave up as it was becoming such a hassle.  I received my license on Aug 23,2000 and became valid Sep 1st.
I see you're from Florida, what part?  I'm in the panhandle (Baker) about 55 miles east of Pensacola.  I've not yet had an inspection by the Feds.  The person I dealt with from the ATF was female and was very helpful.  When it was finally approved she talked to me over the phone for about 2 hours going over the rules and regulations, how to maintain the A&D books, the filling out of 4473's. I know of a guy in Fort Walton Beach, Fl that got his license in about 2 weeks, which I think has to be a record.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It took about 6 months to get my FFL.  I sent the application in and received a call from an ATF agent wanting to come do the premises inspection after 4 months.  He showed up a month later.  A month after he did the inspection, I got the license in the mail.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
3 weeks and counting!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
SKS,

Took me about 4 months.  I received my FFL last week but they got my business name and real name screwed up so, I'll have to wait a little longer for the corrected license.  The inspection was a breeze.  My agent just wanted to review my ap and make sure everything was correct (ooops!)  Then, she went over some of the rules/regulations with me.  Actually, it was easier than I had anticipated and a pleasant experience.

Bud
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
That's good to here bud, I hope everything gos well for me to, I am getting the 07 that will allow me to manufacture as well as sell guns. Hope that dosent make it harder. I will keep you guys updated.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Got mine in 6 days - I called them at least 20 times a day in Atlanta, they pushed through. (and I'm not kidding)
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got mine in 6 days - I called them at least 20 times a day in Atlanta, they pushed through. (and I'm not kidding)
View Quote

Rigggggghttt!.....

I callled yesterday, they told me my paperwork had just go into the computer, I will call them agian in about 3 weeks to check on the status. I think waiting for the fingerprints to come back from the FBI will be the longest factor in all this, she says turn around time is about 2 months.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I got mine 11 months ago and it took less than 3 months to get it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
SKSseven:

What county are you in???
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have yet to see anyone from ATF. I got mine at the house and then changed to a Store front.
It only took a week to change my address and get my ammended FFL back
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
SKSseven:

View Quote

I have a offices in Marco Island and Ft Lauderdale
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
SKSseven:

View Quote

I have a offices in Marco Island and Ft Lauderdale
View Quote

I'm just down the street at P. Pines.  Where do you shoot?  Markham or Tamiami?  Maybe I know you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Rigggggghttt!.....

I callled yesterday, they told me my paperwork had just go into the computer, I will call them agian in about 3 weeks to check on the status. I think waiting for the fingerprints to come back from the FBI will be the longest factor in all this, she says turn around time is about 2 months.
View Quote

Some sheeple
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm just down the street at P. Pines.  Where do you shoot?  Markham or Tamiami?  Maybe I know you.
View Quote

Yobo me and the guys usualy shoot down at pop deans in Ft Lauderdale, check out our site for more info.

[url]www.floridashootersnetwork.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#15]
SKSseven:

"pop deans" in Ft. Lauderdale???
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
SKSseven:

"pop deans" in Ft. Lauderdale???
View Quote

yep, check out the south florida shooters section on our site for more info.

[url]www.floridashootersnetwork.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#17]
SKSseven:

It only took about 2 hours but I finally found it.  Pop's is only down the street from me (5-10 minutes max).  Maybe one of these days I'll come take a look.  And yes, I'll bring a 5 dollar bill and a biscuit for Junior.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Got a letter from ATF today they forgot to put a compliance form for gun safes or safety locks in my original app. I singed it and sent it back out toady, should be 6 to 8 weeks now... geesh
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 1:29:28 AM EDT
[#19]
called today, they still haven't recived the letter back yet, I sent it regestred mail so will see what happens next week... hummmmmmm
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#20]
My app finaly made it out of the NLC to a regional office about a week ago. Now I just have wait for an agent to call to set up an inspection of my shop. lets see how many weeks this takes. [:(]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#21]
The agent called me today, the phone interview didn't take that long, all that's left now is to send him the forms for manufacturing compliance for environmental laws, and my sales tax number and he says the license will be in my hands about 2 weeks after he receives the paperwork! No site inspection necessary. I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been wanting to get one for a while now and with all this talk it has been reawakened in me. How do I apply what do I put and if I want to manufacture weapons what do I have to do? Can I make my pre-ban AR into a full auto if I can manufacture firearms? I hope these questions don't seem to childish. Thanks for all your help.

CHEF

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Go to the ATF website for instructions on how to become a dealer they have a great Q&A section that would be better able to help you then I would. [url]www.atf.treas.gov[/url] As far as you wanting to convert your Pre ban, to a FA, that cannot be done with an 07. A class 2 manufacture can only build machine guns after 1986. These guns are classified as post dealers samples and are not for civilian consumption. If you were to get your SOT which I plan to do next, and decided that you wanted to build a post sample out of your rifle, you would have to surrender your gun upon termination of your license or transfer it to another SOT dealer. its really not worth all the trouble in my opinion, just to shoot some full auto. The only practical way I see you making your pre ban AR into a full auto is to get a RDIAS or a Registered Lighting Link, you need to find one on a form 4 in your state if posable. Along with that you will need fingerprints, passport photos and the signature of your chief law enforcement officer. Once this is all compiled you send in your form with $200 for your tax stamp and wait about 3 months. I have seen RDIAS going for as low as $4000 lately, and LL's running about $2500. I would suggest if you have the extra money just to spend a little more and go with a registered receiver.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey, thanks thats what I meant about full auto, the title II stuff.

CHEF
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey SKS,....Ive been thinking hard about an FFL for awhile now too,...what exactly are the requirements for the place of business, I think I read that it must be a store front, no home businesses. Is this true? What if you want to do business by appointment only?
 Are you opening a store somewhere? If so, make sure you post directions over at Florida Shooters Network.
 Im still planning to come down and check out Pop's sometime too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Madmedic, the ATF is really starting to frown on kitchen table dealers, I waned to do it from my home at first but I was told I would need a store front from the city. If you can get them to rezone your house, it could work but that's slim to none. As for as store hours they ask you for them and this is very important to the ATF. I have heard of people getting there app declined because they put by appointment only.
My shop is Located in Marco Island, but I will not have an open store front since I am an 07. I have my office were I can do sales and an area for light manufacture. I hope that gave you some insight, its been a very long complicated process and I'm still not finished yet! I should have the license within the next 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#27]
[size=6]FINALLY GOT IT!!![/size=6]
Received my license in the mail this morning! This has had to have been one of the most difficult processes I've ever went through for such a tiny piece of paper. Last week I called to check the status and they had lost my paperwork, but somehow found out that I had been approved.[>:/] The lady shot that info over to NLC that same day and they really got on the ball. I am very surprised they got the license to me this fast, I thought it was going to be another week for sure. Well, now that I have this I guess its time to put in for that Class 2 manufactures license and play this waiting game again. I will post when I decide to send them the $500 for the class 2 and we can track how long that takes as well. But for now I am closing this chapter in my diary, mission complete. [<]:)]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#28]
And to think I got mine in only 6 days.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Are you a 01 or 07? If you’re not a 07 you are not a manufacturer. Your SOT is a tax (Special Occupation Tax) it is simply a payment there is no application or approval, and they usually cash the check in less than a week. As soon as the check is cashed and you receive the check back you are good to go. DANE MFG
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Correct Oliver, I am an 07 (Manufacturer of firearms other then destructive devices) I heard the same thing from another SOT holder, about sending the check for the SOT and just receiving a stamp? I cannot confirm or deny this since I have not applied for it yet, however, I have a form for Special tax registration and return National firearms act, that I received. So what your basically telling me is fill out this form for the class 2 manufactures license, with a check for $500 and they will send it back an amended licensee in the mail no questions, inspections, hassles asked?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#31]
So are new FFLs for home dealers pretty much non-existent now?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So are new FFLs for home dealers pretty much non-existent now?
View Quote

I don't want to jump out and say that, but from what I understand the ATF needs some sort of info on your zoning, an example would be if you could somehow re-zone your house, to commercial land instead of residential, you would have no problems, or should I say less problems. In my situation as I was applying for a manufactures license and not just a regular dealers license I had to  be zoned accordingly, in this part of FL C-4 commercial 4 was allowed for light manufacture. The ATF does, not play around when it comes to this. My inspector called the city planers office to confirm this was all right.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#33]
That's right sort of, fill out the Special Tax Registration and Return National Firearms Act form along with the EPA's Environmental Information Form 5000.29 and Supplemental Information On Water Quality Considerations form 5000.30 return these with the correct # of copies and your $500 check. Once the check clears and you receive it back you are now able to make and buy/sell MG's etc. After a few mouths you will receive your official SOT certificate. DANE MFG.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Sent the paperwork for my SOT in this afternoon, the NFA branch said it should take about 2 months, but the woman I spoke to today from over there said to call back in a week and a half and she would push things through. As soon as the check clears the branch I can start producing all the fun stuff. I'll let you guys know how this progresses.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#35]
What is involved moneywise in obtaining a lisence to manufacture Post-86 MGs or SAWs. I have seen the price for an 07, which is reasonable. I heard an SOT Tax is required and Costs $500. I have heard tell of a State Department Fee. This kinda doesn't sound quite right. I know there is an excise tax issue. Does this have to be paid on all guns built or only on those sold ? What other Fees/Taxes are there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#36]
$150 every 3 years for the 07 and $500 yearly for the SOT. I can produce Semiautomatic Assault Weapons with my 07 as long as there marked LEO/Gov use only. I pay an 11% excise tax on everything I manufacture. There is no excise tax on any items sold.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Got a late Christmas gift from the ATF this afternoon. It was a nice SOT tax stamp in my mail! It's a Christmas Miracle!

Who thinks I should send away for a dealer in destructive devices license next???  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#38]
SKS Seven you will find you rarely have to pay an excise tax.

Chances are you are going to Re-Manuf guns mostly not build entire new ones. The excise tax was paid by the manuf. of the host gun. You only pay excise tax on amount you improve the value of the gun by it's re-manufacture.  You only pay the excise tax when you sell things not when you manufacture them. NFA tax paid over-rides the need to pay excise tax. So if you actually build a $100,000 NFA item when you sell it on form 4 the tax would be $5 for an AOW or $200 for other NFA items and no excise would be due. If you sold this item to another NFA dealer you would transfer it to him on form 4 tax paid instead of form 3 as the $200 transfer tax would be cheaper to pay than the 10% on the $100,000 gun.  If you build post sample conversion it will likely be sold to Police Dept. who can buy firearms without paying excise tax.  Silencers while regulated by the NFA are not firearms under the rules of excise tax so those transfer to other dealers with no tax.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top