Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2001 12:53:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll put in a prayer card for you at mass today.
Don't worry.

McUZI
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Did he do a CTscan of the brain? Did you had acute paralysis of the facial muscles? Do you have or had headaches? Did you also experiece loss of power in the extremity muscles? If so did this pass?

I am sure your neurologist asked you the same questions.

Feel free to email me to talk about this further.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.mayohealth.org/home?id=DS00168
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Phil
My Pop had it about 10 years ago, he had the same things your describing. They put him on some medication(sorry don't know which one) and after 6 months it went away.  From what I remember you may not have it for long,  but some folks hold onto it longer.  My brother in law has had his for 15 years or better but it is very mild with just a droopy eyelid.
Don't let it embarrass you,  you are still you.
And you might get a cool nickname out of it.  My brother in law's is GLASSEYE.  Makes him grin everytime we call him that.

Good Luck
Pig
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Phil in Seattle:

Sorry to hear about your Bell's Palsy.
I had it about 7 or 8 yrs ago; woke up one morning and my face felt funny, like I just got back from the dentist. Waited one day before going to the doctor...told me it was Bells.
Gave me some medication w/ the warning "this probably won't help.  You could wake up two days or two decades later, and still have it."
Two weeks to the day, it was gone..ain't seen it since.

On the positive side, I lost quite a bit of weight, as most of my food fell out of my mouth.

Good Luck.

Paul
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My childhood best friend had this at 15 yrs old.  It does go away.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Phil,

My dad had it.  It went away completely after about a year and a half.  That was twenty years ago.  Of course he was embarassed, I suppose that's to be expected.  But nobody thought any less of him for it.  Hang in there and keep smiling, it's the best medicine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#9]
My mother had it about 30 years ago. It lasted about six months. The doctors prescribed her a course of Cortical Steroids and they help.

As far as I or anybody can see she has no sign of ever having had it.

Sometimes she says she feels a twitch come on, but I guess that is normal, we all get twitchy now and again.

Hang in there and if anybody does not like you for it just F*** them.

I am bald headed and if people stare at my scalp I just give them the " who the hell are you? look" and they look the other way.

Link Posted: 2/4/2001 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Phil, I was in the Army and got a case on the left side of my face. I was 23 and couldn't close my left eye and my the left side of my mouth wouldn't move. It freaked me out for a few days, thought I had a stroke. I plagued hell on the range trying to qualify with the M-16 when I couldn't close my eye. I didn't qualify and had to get a profile for aiming a weapon. I still laugh my a** off when I read it, kept it as a momental of the stupidity of the Army. I don't remember what I was given other than eye drops.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My roomate in college had it! He had it from a bicycle wreck! He was able to get most of the use of his facial muscles back by going through nerve manipulation to get the nerves working through small shocks of electricity! But i have heard somtimes it goes as quickly as it comes on its own![:()
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Try supplementing with 500-1000 mg of magnesium/day (or at least get a good multi-mineral supplement that includes a lot of magnesium).  Also, get a very potent (50mg+) vitamin B complex and take it, too.

Link Posted: 2/5/2001 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Just a question,
Have you been tested for Lyme desease. A friend of mine had bells palsy and a few other symptoms and they checked for lyme desease and he had it. They can cure you if its lyme.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#14]
My father just got home from the hospital with this. Try www.bellspalsy.com. lots of good info. good luck V/R slugs
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Phil, I see about one Bell's Palsy patient a month in my audiology practice. Most people are definitely freaked out when one side of their face pulls down, but it is just a neuritis of the VII cranial (facial) nerve, and more often than not will resolve itself within a month or two, although it can linger. The steroid will help reduce the inflamation of the nerve faster. You will probably be smiling properly again soon. Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Phil, just be sure ro wear sunglasses when you are outdoors if you r eye doesn't blink properly as one of the complication is eye infection
Link Posted: 2/6/2001 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#18]
My sister had it after a bout of mono 10 years ago.  It hit her on a Sunday morning and I recognized it right away since a coworked had had it.  Wound up driving her to the ER for an examination.  She was on steroids for a while after that and it gradually went away after about 6 months (just before her wedding).  Unfortunately, the steroids caused her to gain weight.  She was told at the time that relapses were common but that has never happened in all this time.

Robert
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top