Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2001 5:56:27 PM EDT
They say find your favorite hobby and make it your job, so I was wondering.  Where do you get schooling?  I know there is a gunsmithing school in Troy, NC (couple hours from me) that you can get an associates of science in gunsmithing, but is it worth anything?  

What kind of pay do you get?
Who do you work for?

Any comments are appreciated.  If gunsmithing isn't a worthwhile career, what is like it? (Auto mech?)

James
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Will you be prepared to accept unemployment benefits when the supreme court reinterprets the 2nd Amendment?
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have wondered the same thing.  I would like nothing more then to be a gunsmith.  Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to make a successful career (the level I am striving towards) out of it.  If anyone knows something I don't please share it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Scipio- yes.  If money was a problem (I do need a reasonable salary) I would go to computer school.

James
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
There are several good gunsmithing schools out there: Lassen Junior College in Lassen Calif.
Trinidad College in Trinidad, Colorado, and (I think) Denver School of Trades, in Denver.   I think Trinidad gives out a BS degree.

You'll never get rich as a gunsmith unless you get BIG like Bill Wilson, or Les Baer.  You can make a nice living doing what you like, but you have to accept a really long hours-to-pay ratio.

Also, remember that you will be running a "one man band" small business, with all the paper work and IRS BS that entails.  

Still in all, I'll always regret going the Master watchmaker route instead of finishing Trinidad.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
currently looking at gunsmithing schools myself. I want to be one SO bad(for years), and I know I could do it...
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok Jug!
Here's the scoop on gunsmithing...
1) Starving Artists
2) Starving Authors and Playwrights
3) Gunsmiths
4) DotCom CEO's
Don't quit your day job!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Oops... it's deja vu..
I think you've heard this before...

Oops... it's deja vu..

Oops... it's deja vu..
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok Jug!
Here's the scoop on gunsmithing...
1) Starving Artists
2) Starving Authors and Playwrights
3) Gunsmiths
4) DotCom CEO's
Don't quit your day job!
View Quote

Aaahhhrrghhh! How many other people's fathers follow them around like this?

Hey, somebody, please come over here and offer evidence to the contrary. I need backup![:|]

J(ust a little bit disillusioned)uggernaut
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Continued......(got interrupted)

Who you work for depends.  It's really tough to open your own business, right off the bat, and make a living doing it.  Some start a "basement" business and build up the trade until they can open a store-front.  Many of the "Big Boys" started out this way, and grew.

Jobs can sometimes be had as a large city police department armorer.  There are a few openings now and then working for a Bill Wilson or Les Baer.

Jobs can also be found working for gun companies.

Gunsmith's and watchmaker's jobs are easier to find once you've attended a good school, and when you've been in the business for a while.

My experience with both trades is that people who go to the schools fall in several groups:

The ones who's Daddy is in the business.  (They may not WANT to follow Daddy, but...)

The one's who won't actually work at the trade.  These people usually aren't really serious about it, they're hobbyist.  You check up on them in a year or so and they're funeral directors, and salesmen, etc.

The group who are there because they don't know what the hell to do, and this sounded interesting.

The group who just don't have the talent.  A gunsmith HAS to have a certain "eye" for what looks right.  I've seen any number of Master machinist who tried their hand at gunsmithing, and STUNK.  They had the machine skills, but lacked the talent.  I've also seen some people who had the "eye", but just lacked the hand-eye cordination to execute it.  Gunsmithing is as much an art as a skill. But, it's also a manual skill.  There are any number of people who can recognize high grade work, but can't use a file.

Then there are the pro's, who are stone cold serious, and will work in the trade.  These are the smallest group.

It IS a worthwhile job, with a LOT of job satisfaction, and respect.  Minus's are you probably won't get rich, there can be a lot of stress, and you're probably going to have to deal with the public.  The public can be real assholes, which adds stress.

All told, If you understand what you're getting into, and you have the talent, it's a wonderful way to make a living.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I too want to become a gunsmith, but i dont really think i can make a career of it. just something i like. firearm designs fasinate me, especially military firearms and their history.

i agree with faris. unless youre really good, you wont make alot of money. in the area that i live in there are only two "gunplumbers" and they are backed up with work. the 'Gun works' which is where i go to have my 'stuff' worked on is always packed with firearms. jack also reblues weapons for police deptarments and engraves firearms as well.

one of the gunsmiths that used to work at the 'Gun works' specialized in pistolsmithing. this is something i would like better, but if you specialize in one thing, then you'd have trouble finding work. most firearms are hunting firearms which i know less about.

if i recall correctly, in order to go to the gunsmith school in north carolina. you have to bring twenty of your own guns to work on. i dont own twenty guns.

needing a dozen guns lib[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top