Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/20/2018 2:23:54 PM EDT
I had no idea that investigating fires was such hazardous duty!

Ran into one of the local Fire Marshals today at a gun shop. At first I thought he was a cop, possibly SWAT until I got a closer look at the pull over he was wearing and noticed the "Fire Marshal" logo....Under Armour combat boots, 5.11 pants, riggers belt.....

Guy is carrying a Glock 35 with light in a Safariland full retention holster. Three spare mags. Two sets of hand cuffs. Two knives, one folder, one fixed blade. An Asp and Pepper Spray. I nearly laughed out loud....dude was LARP'ing at a whole new level....

I wonder if he gets combat pay or just has to make due with a regular firefighters salary and overtime?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Arson is a serious crime.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
so basically he carries the same loadout as GD does for EDC when they leave the basement
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the do arrest arsonists and do investigate bad people.  I’m sure those people aren’t violent
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Arson is a serious crime.
View Quote
I wonder if they have a Bearcat down at the main fire station for the many Arson related raids and take downs they do in our town?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Peace officer
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Peace officer
View Quote
I'm thinking more "LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER".....
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#8]
That makes me laugh almost as much as the guy did!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Many are actually cops.  Here in GA most are POST certified.  Beat cops don't know shit about investigating fires.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The fire marshal here killed a guy a couple years ago for brandishing a weapon while they were putting out a fire next door. I've never seen his loadout though. He doesn't strike me as an oper8tor, but he's got a big mouth. I keep saying they are gonna find him in a ditch one day for running his pie hole to the wrong person.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Our arson investigator is REQUIRED to carry and dress similar.  He doesn't do pepper spray.  His baton stays in his car.  But he is considered a law enforcement officer for our city and has to meet certain requirements when on duty.

Just sayin.... you guy might be a whoop whoop or he might just be following city SOP's.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#12]
When i was still in DFW, i saw two at the police supply store.[GT Dist.]

They just had a Glock and a badge on their belts.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#13]
They generally work without a net on their investigations.  And they get into some really interesting messes.  Lots of people who burn their houses or whatever do it to cover a more serious crime.  Or they're so desperate that they'll burn their own home for money.  I know a few Fire Marshalls who do in fact wear a full duty belt and an external vest.  They also will carry an IFAK because they stand a pretty good chance of getting hurt while they sift through a fire scene.  They also carry their turnout gear in the back of their car.

Don't let your feelings get too hurt by how the guy looks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
The couple of arson investigators I’ve dealt with were carrying Sig 226’s.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Many are actually cops.  Here in GA most are POST certified.  Beat cops don't know shit about investigating fires.
View Quote
Oh, I don't expect beat cops to know a hell of a lot about fires....but they DO know a HELL OF A LOT ABOUT ARRESTING PEOPLE.....FOR MANY DIFFERENT CRIMES. I'm guessing 99.999999% of Arson related arrests happen remotely from the scene of the crime...hours, days, weeks, months after the fire....

So....the Fire Marshall finds reason to believe that an arson was committed. They investigate. They decide who the perpetrator is. They get a DA to issue an arrest warrant....served by.....the local police, whose job, day in and day out is to arrest people that need it.

Now, do they need to be armed during the investigation phase etc....I can actually see that, sure, many arsonists are probably not nice people....but, are the Fire Marshals door kickers getting into daily firefights with carloads of Sinaloa Cartel Members.?...No, I can't see that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When i was still in DFW, i saw two at the police supply store.[GT Dist.]

They just had a Glock and a badge on their belts.
View Quote
I've seen several out at local restaurants before etc...Glock 19, a spare mag and a badge on their belts. Noticed the guns, figured out who they were etc...Never gave it a second thought....seemed appropriate.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought my EDC from a arson investigator.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Two words.  Meth house

This sums up just one of the reasons for fire marshals to be armed and have L/E certification.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#19]
OP is making fun of someone for carrying, due to their employment.

Why do you hate freedom OP?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
so basically he carries the same loadout as GD does for EDC when they leave the basement
View Quote
Don't be silly, I only carry one set of handcuffs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Two words.  Meth house

This sums up just one of the reasons for fire marshals to be armed and have L/E certification.
View Quote
I noticed all the Fish Cops here in Texas now have LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER emblazoned across the backs of their pickups now too...

Everyone is the point of the spear! Operating, operationally in all dimensions of time and space...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I noticed all the Fish Cops here in Texas now have LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER emblazoned across the backs of their pickups now too...

Everyone is the point of the spear! Operating, operationally in all dimensions of time and space...
View Quote
I wouldn't worry about it too much.  After the major hurricanes like Katrina, Rita and Harvey the various state agencies made the decision to better mark their vehicles so everyone would recognize them as law enforcement from a distance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#23]
what do cops and firemen have in common?

...both of them wanted to be cops.
ETA: Seriously, our Arson Investigators are sworn, commissioned officers and have to be CLEET certified Peace Officers, just like cops.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a friend who did that job for a while, he arrested a lady who set her sister on fire. That sounds about like what they were required to wear at a minimum.  Here in Texas they are LEO.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#25]
What'stthe difference between god and a fire marshal?

God doesn't think he's a fire marshal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP is making fun of someone for carrying, due to their employment.

Why do you hate freedom OP?
View Quote
I'm making fun of someone for thinking their employment is something it isn't. What do the statistics tell us?

Here in Texas, every year, a report is prepared by the State Fire Marshals Office whenever there is the death of a Fireman or Fire Marshal that could be duty related. I checked every report from 2016 to 2006. Not a single death due to "Criminal Assault etc"....most were related to cardiac events during call outs or training.

Statistics Here
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
are the Fire Marshals door kickers getting into daily firefights with carloads of Sinaloa Cartel Members.?...No, I can't see that.
View Quote
Neither are the beat cops.

It's so much easier for the Fire Investigator to handle the whole case instead of trying to convince a beat cop to make an arrest for you.  Who fucking cares what if they are armed in whatever way?  'Merica.  Fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Two words.  Meth house

View Quote
Yup.
Friend of a friend's dad was an arson investigator for the local FD.
Lots of tweekers and tweeker related activities were dealt with.
Also organized crime and arson go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#29]
it's the same here.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#30]
What did he do to you that got your panties all wadded up?  Seems like he subscribes to the 2 is one, one is none theory.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh, I don't expect beat cops to know a hell of a lot about fires....but they DO know a HELL OF A LOT ABOUT ARRESTING PEOPLE.....FOR MANY DIFFERENT CRIMES. I'm guessing 99.999999% of Arson related arrests happen remotely from the scene of the crime...hours, days, weeks, months after the fire....

So....the Fire Marshall finds reason to believe that an arson was committed. They investigate. They decide who the perpetrator is. They get a DA to issue an arrest warrant....served by.....the local police, whose job, day in and day out is to arrest people that need it.

Now, do they need to be armed during the investigation phase etc....I can actually see that, sure, many arsonists are probably not nice people....but, are the Fire Marshals door kickers getting into daily firefights with carloads of Sinaloa Cartel Members.?...No, I can't see that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to study up on some Texas law requirements on performing the job.  Not saying you need a Batman utility belt, but if you are the investigator in charge of an arson you need to be a cop too.  It's not an optional "I want to be an operator too" kind of thing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#32]
OP sounds like a jackass. Probably hates cops for pulling him over when he does something illegal too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What did he do to you that got your panties all wadded up?  Seems like he subscribes to the 2 is one, one is none theory.  
View Quote
More Texas bank tellers were killed in the last ten years in the "line of duty" than Fire Marshals. Do you expect to see your bank teller wearing a plate carrier, Team Wendy with Nods and a Mesusoc Pistol with LAM?.... I don't.....but they apparently would be completely justified in doing so.....and nobody here would think it was odd...sure....
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP sounds like a jackass. Probably hates cops for pulling him over when he does something illegal too.
View Quote
You caught me. I had an overly large flame while lighting my BBQ about five years ago 4th of July and the Fire Cops raided my place and confiscated my lighter fluid and T Bones...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Our Arson Investigators are also the bomb squad
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#36]
A local fire marshall was murdered investigating a building in Baltimore.
Ours have arrest powers iirc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#37]
state fire marshalls here are Michigan State Police, used to know one and he was all suited up just like a regular trooper
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Our fire investigators are POST certified, sworn, and carry a firearm.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The couple of arson investigators I’ve dealt with were carrying Sig 226’s.
View Quote

I bought a P228 from my favorite gun store that was owned by a Fire Marshal.  It was cheap because he...........DROPPED IT!.

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#40]
You DO realize that fire marshal's and arson investigators are typically fully-sworn law enforcement officers?  Not everybody is happy to have government agents showing up on their doorstep investigating criminal matters...  Heck, one of the guys I went to high school with is a Federal agent in the Social Security Administration...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Whatever you call him...don't call him a civilian.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#42]
The county I grew up in had a fire marshal worked as LE and was On the SERT team. So yea that would make sense.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Whatever you call him...don't call him a civilian.
View Quote
Oh hell ! You done it now..........you better duck!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Our arson investigator is REQUIRED to carry and dress similar.  He doesn't do pepper spray.  His baton stays in his car.  But he is considered a law enforcement officer for our city and has to meet certain requirements when on duty.

Just sayin.... you guy might be a whoop whoop or he might just be following city SOP's.
View Quote
Exactly, and similar in most other cities in Texas.  I don't know if the particular guy in the OP's post is just a neck beard with a clean shave or a real deal LEO in concert with his fire marshall duties.  Here at my old department a good friend of mine who's on the FD is a highly trained paramedic as well as a fireman.  He's a super fit guy with a level head, and he also became an unarmed paramedic for PD SWAT callouts.  He trained with them on everything except firearm usage.

He's pretty sharp and has quickly moved up the food chain and became a fire marshall which is an LEO position...had to go through our academy.  The PD was impressed enough with him to get the fire department to let him continue to be on call for paramedic duties on SWAT callouts, but now he trains with SWAT with weapons also.  Our SWAT guys trust him with their lives and have full confidence in him.

I'm sure it varies from location to location, but I'm sure not all cops, fire marshalls, and even AR15 owners are created equal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Out two are Detectives who came over from PD then went to investigator school/1001/2.  They spend most of their time in the rich and vibrant section of town.  They both carry f/s sigs, reloads, cuffs, flashlights, and wear light armor (LVII I think) when they go out to question people or come to a scene after dark.

I saw one of them run a guy down on foot after a "brief attempt to flee on foot".  That was a colorful day in court.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm making fun of someone for thinking their employment is something it isn't. What do the statistics tell us?

Here in Texas, every year, a report is prepared by the State Fire Marshals Office whenever there is the death of a Fireman or Fire Marshal that could be duty related. I checked every report from 2016 to 2006. Not a single death due to "Criminal Assault etc"....most were related to cardiac events during call outs or training.

Statistics Here
View Quote
So you are saying you don’t carry, because you are likewise statisically unlikely to get into a gun fight right?

Or do you only carry a 5 shot revolver, because “that’s all you need in a mugging”?

Maybe you should MYOB, the marshall can determine for himself what he wants to carry and how he wants to carry it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Everyonee is the point of the spear! Operating, operationally in all dimensions of time and space...
View Quote
State DNR officers in Illinois have same authority as a state trooper.

You probably would would complain that Security of State cops are playing operator, you know the ones that are at DMV and car dealer ships, or pulling DL from people revoked or suspended. They too carry same authority as a "local cop"
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Every reply has told how he was dressed appropriately and you get all butthurt..... lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
point to ponder:

most of the folks the fish cops encounter are armed. Some folks dislike getting citations and the like.  Many fish cops have been killed or shot over the years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top