Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2001 3:08:50 PM EDT
Got a question for all the other Arizona residents on the board. Let me hear your thoughts on what the open carry limitations/restrictions are in this state.

When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side ---Sun-Tzu 400 BC

"Even if you are in a minority of one, the truth is still the truth".  Ghandi
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't remember what the specific cases were where open carry without a CCW was illegal.  Kinda goofy, but the CCW gives you some additional priviledges when carrying open.  When you take your CCW class, I'm sure you'll find out what those are.  You're going to do that, right? =)
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the limitations are:

1) Places that server alcohol
2) Government owned / run institutions
3) Any place where it is marked "no Firearms" eg. malls, restaurants, banks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
in addition to what fanof1911s had to say, I'm pretty sure that applies to both CCW and open carry.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, preferably we would have a Vermont style carry law, which does not restrict an adult from carrying a weapon, either openly or concealed, for their defense and the defense of persons they are responsible for.

We currently have open carry and a shall-issue permit system, which I take advantage of every day. While I don't like having to register to carry concealed, the 16 hour class was not a big deal at all.

One problem with the current AZ law 13-3102 is that any establishment that serves open alcohol is a defense-free zone, er gun-free zone. While this seems reasonable on the surface for bars, it also excludes just about any restaurant, even if you are not drinking. A more sensible approach would be to outlaw carrying while drinking.

Another problem is the ban on carrying or possesing on university grounds - hey didn't we just have a serial rapist on ASU campus this year? Oh, and last year, too!

-Andy
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Those places are verboten with open or concealed carry.  Though, I've heard conflicting stories about signs on private businesses.  One version is that they have to post it with specific wording and citing the law (similar to Texas's chl-take-your-business-elsewhere signs), though I haven't seen any of these in AZ.  The other story is that the pictures of a handgul with a circle-slash through it are legit.  I have seen a store with a "No Firearms" sign with "except concealed weapons permit holders" in much smaller letters.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Title 4 (Alcohol regs) prevents carrying a firearm into an establishment that serves alcohol for on premisies consumption.

Title 13, chapter restricts carrying of weapons in other instances.  Try this link:
[url]www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/title13.htm[/url]

You cannot carry a deadly weapon into a private premesis that posts a sign, or gives notice that carrying deadly weapons are prohibited.  To carry in such a place is actually trespassing, and not technically a weapon's violation.

You cannot carry into places of public gathering (sporting events), because all the stadiums are posted.

You cannot carry into Federal buildings.  Some state buildings actually let you carry.  I've carried openly into DMV before.

Too much to explain here.  Read chapter 31, and if you have any more questions, just ask.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't be concerned when you read that it is illegal to carry a weapon without a permit.

Carrying openly, is specifically listed as one of the allowable defenses to that statue.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top