Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 2/8/2018 1:54:03 PM EDT
No, this is not Ferguson, Missouri.  It’s Independence, and it’s not a young black man, it’s a white husband and father.

Mike Becker, 31, saved his wife, his daughter at about 30 strangers at a Dollar General from an armed robber on Tuesday.

Becker’s wife called him to inform him that a man with a gun was threatening the patrons.

Mr. Becker arrived on the scene to discover the armed man beating on the glass doors while the people inside were huddled near the back.  He then drew his gun and rushed to put himself between the man and the people inside.

“The only thing in my mind was my baby and wife,” he said. “There was no way the gunman was getting in that store.”

The Kansas City Star reports what happened next.

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2018/02/08/missouri-father-saves-wife-daughter-30-strangers-from-armed-robber-cops-show-up-shoot-him-with-hands-in-the-air/
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
[url= [url]http://www.dcclothesline.com/2018/02/08/missouri-father-saves-wife-daughter-30-strangers-from-armed-robber-cops-show-up-shoot-him-with-hands-in-the-air/] http://www.dcclothesline.com/2018/02/08/missouri-father-saves-wife-daughter-30-strangers-from-armed-robber-cops-show-up-shoot-him-with-hands-in-the-air/
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Don’t be lazy OP.

When police arrived minutes later, witnesses said, Becker dropped his handgun, raised his hands — and then an officer with a rifle shot him in the hip.

The gunman Becker confronted was initially concealed from police behind a cooler, said Raymond Watts, 28. The Kansas City man said he was in a vehicle with his two children on 23rd Street near the store.

“I was figuring, ‘How the hell do they shoot him?’ He never pointed a gun at the cops,” Watts said. “He complied with everything they said … and then you heard a pop.”

Gunfire then broke out between police and the gunman, who was wounded, said Watts and his girlfriend, Whitney Thomas of Raytown.

No officers were injured.

Whitney Thomas, also told the Kansas City Star that Becker’s gun was clearly on the ground at the time police opened fire. “His gun was on the ground. He didn’t have it in his hands any longer,” she said.

“I understand as police you have to put your life on the line … but to take it into your own judgment to shoot an innocent man when he didn’t fit the description?” Thomas added.

Some of those that Becker saved were shouting at the police officers that they had shot an innocent man, and Becker’s wife, Amber, said that some were mentioning to her daughter that her father was shot and killed.

Both Becker and the robber were wearing two different color jackets and while Becker is heavier, the gunman was much more slender. Becker complied with the orders to drop his weapon as the other man proceeded to fire at police.

John Syme, a spokesman with the Independence Police Department, would not say much on Saturday except that police responded to a call of an armed robber and that when they got there both men were armed.

Sounds to me like we have a trigger happy policeman looking for a reason to shoot his rifle.

In a followup story, The Star reported:

Investigators canvassed the area for surveillance footage from surrounding businesses. An employee at the nearby Church’s Chicken, located across the street from the Dollar General, said police had obtained video from the restaurant.

Syme said any dashcam footage or business surveillance footage would likely not be released to the public “to preserve the integrity of the investigation.”

Independence officers are not equipped with body cameras, he added.

Well, dashcam footage should really be enough, don’t you think?

Will the truth actually come out in what took place here?  Watch the video below.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Gonna get paid.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
See BLM, they shoot white people too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
wow.  maybe the cops were mad that this citizen did their job for them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Colin Noir's bullshit gets proven wrong yet again.
View Quote
Why do you hate the NRA?

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Am I in before people saying the cop didn't do anything wrong?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Shooting cop should be charged just as if roles were reversed and the citizen accidentally shot the cop.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#10]
lucky he is still alive
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#11]
He shouldn't have gotten in the way of the bullet. Officer was just doing his job.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#12]
While I'm sure he's happy to be not dead, I don't think I'd be grinning like I won the lotto.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gonna get paid.
View Quote
He might get some "Shut-up And Go Away" money, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I bet he thinks twice before he makes a move in front of people that have to get it on.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Shot him in the hip?

Calling it now, ND.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
While I'm sure he's happy to be not dead, I don't think I'd be grinning like I won the lotto.
View Quote
If there's footage of him getting shot while empty-handed and has a good lawyer... maybe he does win the lotto eventually.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Nothing good happens in I-town.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Getting some shut-up-and-go-away money is better than just getting shot.  Would be my preference.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He shouldn't have gotten in the way of the bullet. Officer was just doing his job.
View Quote
It says right in the article that no officers were injured.  That's all that matters, man...
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#20]
See! Those racist cops will shoot a white guy in the leg!

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd be happy that Officer Final Defensive Fire was a poor shot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hope he gets paid enough so his family doesn't have to go to the Dollar store anymore.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#23]
How do you do that?
Seriously how do you fuck that up?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd be happy that Officer Final Defensive Fire was a poor shot.
View Quote
I dont think Id be happy I got shot at all.

I would be so shitty, I mean seriously. In fact Id probably get shot again because Id be in a shitty mood
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Who robs a Dollar store anyway?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Was he wearing a shirt with a picture of a dog on it?  Or holding a leash?

Does not compute...
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Mighty fine police work.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gonna get paid.
View Quote
Should get paid, medical covered and that officer who shot him should go to jail for attempted murder. IF what's reported is true, accurate and complete. It's possible since he was shot in the hip some dumb fuck officer had his finger on the trigger when he shouldn't have, had lowered the rifle off center mass some when...pop /insert officer thinking "shit/ aw fuck" here. In which case above minus attempted murder and add some lesser charge in its place.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Nobody is going to wonder if the cop was trying out for the FBI?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#32]
In my humble opinion, Independence is arguably the worst metro area PD, and has been for years.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
it's actually a common thing

they have cash unlike most other places anymore as a large amount of their clientele are the "under served by banks" type
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#34]
A true incident of "Hands up, don't shoot!"
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Shooting cop should be charged just as if roles were reversed and the citizen accidentally shot the cop.
View Quote
There wasn't any "accidentally" about it.

The cop shot him deliberately.  Mistakenly too, but it was not an accident.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Colin Noir's bullshit gets proven wrong yet again.
View Quote
Lol....irrelevant and dumb things said in GD, from a mod of all.  " Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid".
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Served and protected
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Should get paid, medical covered and that officer who shot him should go to jail for attempted murder. IF what's reported is true, accurate and complete. It's possible since he was shot in the hip some dumb fuck officer had his finger on the trigger when he shouldn't have, had lowered the rifle off center mass some when...pop /insert officer thinking "shit/ aw fuck" here. In which case above minus attempted murder and add some lesser charge in its place.
View Quote
That cop ain't going anywhere but on a paid vacation.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#40]
His tax dollars being put to good use.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Entirely possible the cop was simply a complete fucking moron and wasn't practicing trigger control.

I would assume he had his finger on the trigger while giving instructions to a complying man.

Idiot cop should be charged.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ever been hit with dalaudid (sp)?

Yeah, it'll make ya grin.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don’t watch Live PD, do you?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Sue the department bone dry
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the officer deliberately shot an unarmed citizen who had his hands up, he needs some alone time.... in a cage. Prior to this, there should be a review of evidence to ensure no mistakes are made. City should pay for medical and civil damages.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
The cop shooting him was no accident, cop Dredd should be charged but we all know the king will protect his men.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Homie on da way to da strip club?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The cop missed the COM shot by more than a foot, and shot an unarmed man who had his hands up.  That's some mighty fine police work in the "Show Me" state.  
View Quote
"He moved his hand toward his waist band" is the standard response from PDs when these incidents happen. Maybe the guy that got shot dropped his hand a few inches when it was over his head.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Did the officer make it home safe, after all, that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#50]
The cop who did the shooting is probably being recruited by the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team as we speak!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top