Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2001 8:29:44 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting my first tattoo, and want some advice about what to get.  I am thinking about getting something similar to the flag of the Culpeper Minutemen.

Something like this, only with more detail [url]http://www.ultimateflags.com/usahist/donttreadyellowgif.html[/url]

My question is, what do you think about including words in the tattoo?  I know I want the snake, but don't know whether I should include "Don't Tread On Me".  The whole reason I picked that design is because of what it stands for, but would it be cooler to just have the snake and let people think what want?  

Thanks for the info.  Oh, and don't give me that "do whatever you like" crap.  If I knew what I wanted I wouldn't be asking!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Respectfully, speaking as one who has three tats now, if you have to ask what to get, you're not ready to get one.  When you find something you want to say strongly enough to put it on your body permanently, you'll know.

I thought for two years before I got the first one.  Hard to erase.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
celt said it all.personaly i have 5 tatoos and besides knowing what you want you need to think about were you want it.do you want it to be viable all the time or not etc...
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Think about it carefully. I made the mistake of getting drunk with some buddies and talked in to a full back piece of Rosies whole head.

The good news is that with about 5 minutes of additional work, I had it altered in to a beautiful rendition of a whales anus.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#4]
M4-that's precious!  :)
We should start a "what I turned my aw-s**t tattoo into.....: thread>
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
TATTOOS are for girly men. Men and women get
tattoos because they have low/no self esteem.
After you get it you can prance around with the
outher sick freaks and admire one another. The
only tattoo worth having is one that makes a real statement like USMC or something of that
nature. Everything else is for pussbags.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Well.....guess that puts THIS topic to rest.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]
as the owner of five of them, some extremely large on my forearms, i regret every one. i started at age 16 and now am 28 and trying to get into med school. the worst part is how much they cost to get lasered off. i could add a lot of stuff to my arsenal with that $$.
Dont do it. just my .02 and if you do, think long and hard what your going to get and where your going to put it. It may seem like a great thing to show off today but think about tomorrow also. Good Luck
-jay
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Tattoos....a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Grin&Barrett:
Don't
View Quote

Eloquence, in a SINGLE word.

Why would you wanna mess up some perfectly good skin????
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#12]
A guy I know has the Japanese characters for the words "WHITE DEVIL" tattooed on the back of his neck... he and I were at a roadside McDs (Imbro's hangout?) last summer and there were some Japanese tourists who got in line behind us. Man, when they saw his neck, did their jaws drop! :^)
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A guy I know has the Japanese characters for the words "WHITE DEVIL" tattooed on the back of his neck... he and I were at a roadside McDs (Imbro's hangout?) last summer and there were some Japanese tourists who got in line behind us. Man, when they saw his neck, did their jaws drop! :^)
View Quote

That reminds me of travelers in Japan sighting Japanese people sporting t-shirts with the most vulgar statements in English on them....and they have no idea what it says.  Little kids with things like "Your mom was good" or something like that.

Anyway, a tattoo's nothing to put a lot of thought into.  They have big galleries of cool skull and snake designs at any tat parlor.  Get one of those.  The logo of your favorite rock band is also a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a tattoo about 2 years ago. I only have one and I thought long and hard on what I would be happy with. Also think of the location that you would feel comfortable with. I got mine on my tricep so it would be covered even by a short sleeve shirt. I had a biohazard simble (red and black) with black trible spreading around both sides. Its not a full wrap but people never see the inside of your arm much anyhow. I had it put on my tricep because even though I'm not ashamed of a tattoo, but some people don't like them, so out of respect (for like when I go to church) nobody will sit and stare at it..lol But I don't regret mine for a minute but some people do after getting one. But like WWoodworth said, don't get anything trashy that you might not want to explain to your kids.

As for HANGFIRE  [-!-!-]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Sick fucks huh? I've got seven, and if you asked anybody who knows me, the last words I think they'd use to describe me is sick fuck. Glad I'm not scared of things I don't understand, thats for weak minded people, and pussbags.
Now as far as what to get, think long and hard about what you want to get, where, and why. I like your idea, but I would definately include the lettering especially since that was the original design and maybe go with something original around it. Also, make sure to go to a good artist, this if VERY IMPORTANT. I don't care if you have to travel a few hours to do it you'll be glad you did. Any decent artist will glady work with you on the design as well. Try buying a couple of tattoo magazines and checking out what you like, usually the artists name and location are usually printed. Anyway, good luck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I GOT SOME INK WORK - FOR THOSE THAT GET OFFENDED THAT SOMEONE PUTS SOMETHING YOU HAVE OR SAY DOWN - ALSO REMEMBER THAT THEIR HIDING BEHIND THEIR COMPUTER AND WOULDNT SAY NOTHING TOO YOUR FACE
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Hangfire [-!-]
I wear my beliefs on my sleeve as a testament to the sacrifices physically and mentally and socially which I am willing to endure to stand alone for my beliefs and my disaproval for a society which is largely populated by people like yourself who's "popular" beliefs which they adopt from their media or there jock friends polute the concept of FREEDOM. When you can endure 3 hours of tattooing on your throat and another 3 on your ribcage under your armpit you will have the right to call me a puss. Until then why don't you keep your offensive opinions and limited knowledge of a subject to yourself. As for self esteem I have a nice car, home and gun collection as well as a beautiful wife. Furthermore I no longer have to work at age 24 due to my superior motivation and business savvy. Hardly the accomplishments of an individual with poor self esteem.
[img]http://imagehosting.bidbay.com/image.php3?imgID=337663[/img]

Hatebreed
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]
The government secretly sponsors several programs to encourage tatooing.
Seems they think it helps to identify people.
Now why would they want to do that? [:)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, then, Hangfire....I hope you get whatever help it takes to let you deal with the flaws that make you attack those who feel differently about things than do you.  Here all this time I thought my tattoos expressing my heritage, and belief in freedom for all men, WERE making "real statements"...thank you for seting us all straight.

Garandman:  I guess I didn't think my skin was perfect.  I'm a little more humble. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
only tattoo worth having is one that makes a real statement like USMC or something of that
View Quote

Uhh, Guys. Can you say "tongue in cheek"?
I think he was having you on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Ever been to the beach and they have those rub- on tatoos?   They last for 1-2 weeks if you don't wash them too hard and keep them powerded.

Get somebody to design that flag into the rub-on tatoos.  Get a few dozen made and maybe a few others like AR15.com and 2nd Amendment.  Other flags as well.  Then pop them on whenever you feel the need.  

Those are the only tatoos I'll ever get.  

Btw, we need a stick on tatoo of CIB's AR15 shirt logo. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Uhh, Guys. Can you say "tongue in cheek"?
I think he was having you on.
View Quote

You obviously haven't paid a whole lot of attention to his past posts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#24]
hatebreed how many times are you gonna post that pic.have you ever served in the military?didnt think so.yeh im a million air too....
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't even think about it!  Act in haste, repent in leisure.

The only tatoo I would ever think about getting, I'm not qualified to wear. At age 49, I can't even imagine getting qualified to wear one in the future.  If I ever get qualified to wear one, this country must really be in a world of hurt! No, seriously.

The tatoo?  [size=3] U. S. M. C.[/size=3]

Eric The(Semper whatever)Hun

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
hatebreed how many times are you gonna post that pic.have you ever served in the military?didnt think so.yeh im a million air too....
View Quote

I've posted it 3 times, and that will be all i am sure. No I've never served in the military nor would I serve the country with its current agenda. What does that have to do with the price of dildos in dallas? I never said I was a millionaire, I said I no longer need to work. I am self employed and work for myself a total of about 4 hours a week and make about a grand in that 4 hours.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#29]
The counter-culture sick phucks with the tattoos are the ones you should ally yourself with. You gotta watch out for the sheep that drink Starbucks, wear Birkenstocks, hug trees, and only eat vegetables. I'll take my gun-toting, inked up brothers and sisters over the chickenshit mallrats .
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I currently have one tattoo that denotes my heritage--not a temporary feeling, and am saving up for one that represents my soulmate, my bestfriend--my wife--this is also not a temporary feeling.  I also plan to get one for each of the children I hope God will bless me with.  I do not think that tattoos are for pussbags or for tough guys.  I think they are a mode of personal expression, nothing more.  So, say what you like--but anyone who is that vehemnent about something they obviously know nothing about is merely afraid and timid.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#31]
M4 - the Rosie scenario was classic!!!!

gunmonkey - agreed!!!  Beware of the SHEEP!!

Even with the gun crowd, I could picture someone who views tattooed folks as "sick freaks" as being the FIRST one to point to your AR and say "why do you need that - there's no purpose for THAT kind of rifle - you just want to play billy badass - not me, no siree, all I need is my grandpappy's 30-30".

Got seven tattoos - all hidden with a t-shirt and long pants.  Eagle with "USN", a whitetail in a celtic design, a "Z" for my son, ect.  Like 'em all.  Would change the design on some - regret none.  I'd have more if I wasn't spending every extra dime I have on guns and ammo.

low self-esteem pussbag Tate [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#32]
tattoo's are very very personal,mine i got for myself and my wife,to se me you would not know i had 8.
i don't prance around with my shirt off in public,jeepers i paid enough for them i don't want them to suffer under the harsh effects of too much sun(ink fades).
my smallest tattoo took an hour,largest one was a 6 hour ordeal,you can't be a puss to sit and have some one work on you for an hour.
they are addictive
they do teach pain management
they are very permanent
todays artist are getting alot better in the last 20 years.
look at the person's work first,should have a photo album on hand
make sure they are using sterile technics and equipement
uhh yea they will hurt
boxer
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Like most of the people posting I must agree that you should not be asking what to get.  In the end you may be stuck with someone else's idea of art or self expression.  I got my about 2 years ago and thought long and hard on what I wanted.  I went to the shop before I got it and came up with the design "concept" and the artist helped me make it work and in the end it means something to me.  My wife got one that means something to her and we both did that "unthinkable tihng" and had each others names added.  However unlike many people who change relationships more often than their clothes, I know I have a keeper and want everyone to know it.  She later added another tattoo that ended up very similar to mine without realizing it and left the name banner blank.  She will be adding another character with our daughters name soon and if we have a son in the near future my name will be placed in the blank banner and a III will be added to my name on the first tat to represent him.  The kids names will then be on her shoulders and as usuall I'll be on her back.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1676037&a=12854578&p=48096049[/img]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1676037&a=12854578&p=48096047[/img]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1676037&a=12854578&p=48096046[/img]

sorry about the image quality.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Pick a month and a day in the future, say ohh....9 or 10 months from now.  If you haven't changed your mind or your design by then, go ahead.  I do think that perhaps small and discreet are the way to go, one never knows what the future may hold.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#35]
My advice?(Remember, you did ask) First, know deep in your heart what you wish it to be. Even lasering them isn't always successful.

Once you are sure,  get some temporary ones made. Show these to all the important people in your life, telling them it is fake or not, is up to you.

If you are still sure at this point? Spend a bit of time looking for the right person to do it.....Gawd wouldn't it suck to have it done by a hack?

I have one on my thigh, Long shorts cover it, short ones don't. The only one that knows exactly what it means is my wife, or people we have explained it to(damn few). Otherwise it is simply a nice design.

Would I do it again?

YUP!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#36]
No Jug, you can't and I'll kick your butt and sell your entire collection if you ever did. Hmmm, maybe I'll just confiscate it. Where did you say that gunsafe combo was hidden?
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Excuse me maam did the perpetrator have any identifying characteristics or tatoos?

Nuff said in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No Jug, you can't and I'll kick your butt and sell your entire collection if you ever did. Hmmm, maybe I'll just confiscate it. Where did you say that gunsafe combo was hidden?
View Quote

The man is telepathic![:D] I didn't even post it, and he knew! I guess it's because he's my dad, and knows me pretty darned well.

Hmmm...I don't think my body can take a butt kicking at the moment, and I'm not going to lose my guns over a tattoo.

Shoot.[:|]

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#40]
A buddy of mine went off to the service and got his girlfriend's name tatooed on hisself.  That relationship lasted until about four months after he left.  Bad move. I hear the look on her face when she saw it (right as she was preparing to give him the news) was priceless.  

I rarely see a tatoo that I think looks good.  But like has been said before, its personal.  I'd get someting that is personally very meaningful to you and a permanent part of your psyche.  Just my $0.02  
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#42]
just funnin with you hatebeed.you right about this countrys leadership.i wouldnt serve nowadays.
back to the tatoos.man dont get any names(woman come n go )even the good ones.and please if your gonna get one on your upper arm....work out.nuthin worse than a too on a rope shaped arm.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By David Hineline:
Excuse me maam did the perpetrator have any identifying characteristics or tatoos?

Nuff said in my opinion.
View Quote

I believe this is only a problem if you have a habit of breaking the law. . .something most of us don't worry about.  Though, I hate to say it, my tat's on file with the F.B.I. cuz I used to work in the government--bastards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top