Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2001 7:42:42 PM EDT
Hi Everyone:
I just bought a OEM synthetic stock for my wood-stocked series 187 (mfg. ~1985) Mini-14. The original heat-shield is just 1/8" too short to fit into the new stock.  The new stock fits O.K. w/o the shield. Question, do the newer rifles with the plastic stocks not need the metal heat-shield? Also, I have heard that the rifle shoots better when there is no contact with the lower gas-block and the stock. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Technically, you don't NEED the heat shield, but you'll want it when you start shooting in any quantity. Also, the gas block really shouldn't touch the stock, in theory, to prevent it stressing the barrel while shooting, and thus throwing off accuracy, but the stock's attachment to the gas block from the factory throws that whole theory out the window anyhow, so forget it.

Can you cut the heat shield down to fit?

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi Juggernaut:
The metal heat-sheild has a retaining tab (90 deg bend on the end closest to the receiver) that positions on the front end of the receiver well of the stock. I guess I could use a rat-file to open up the well just a bit to allow the metal tab to properly fit. I was just wondering if the newer rifles with the synthetic stocks ommit the heat-shield.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hi Juggernaut:
The metal heat-sheild has a retaining tab (90 deg bend on the end closest to the receiver) that positions on the front end of the receiver well of the stock. I guess I could use a rat-file to open up the well just a bit to allow the metal tab to properly fit. I was just wondering if the newer rifles with the synthetic stocks ommit the heat-shield.
Thanks.
View Quote

I've had a synthetic stock, and shot my dad's old wooden one. The polymer does a bit better job with heat; it's not going to melt, but your hands will thank you for keeping the shields. The filing method sounds like it will work.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Changed my head sheild, the a/m looked better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top