Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2001 7:34:15 PM EDT
Has anyone here ever had an AR 15 with a 37mm flare launcher mounted under the barrel? I have a chance to buy one and I thought it would look pretty cool being sported under my CAR 15. I've seen web sights devoted to flare guns and heard people really enjoy shooting bird bombs, flares and smoke grenades. I also am going to buy a 120rd drum from the same guy. It's made by Norinco. I have a 75rd drum for my SKS Sporter and I love shooting it and it functions flawlessly so I figure this 120rd drum for my AR15 will be just as good. Has anyone ever owned one of these?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
120 rnd drum and flare launcher = 20lbs
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
120 rounder is a lot of firepower, i like it.

flare launcher, be prepaired to spend big bucks on ammo, there not cheap. i personallty would go for the thumper, it is a stand alone flare launcher that imitates the m37 (?) grenade launcher, and it doesnt add an unnecesary 15 lbs to yore rifle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
120 rnd drum and flare launcher = 20lbs
View Quote

Not to worry. I'm 6'tall, 220 lbs of solid muscle, I've worked for a welding company for years and I'm use to carrying heavy steel all day. Trust me, a 20 lb gun is nothing to worry about...LOL
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Where can I find one of those "thumpers"?  Thanks
[rocket]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
What the hell does one need a "flare launcher" on his gun for?

Planning on going on the Titanic with your AR soon?
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:08:50 AM EDT
[#7]
look at this site...

[url]http://40mm.simplenet.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What the hell does one need a "flare launcher" on his gun for?

Planning on going on the Titanic with your AR soon?
View Quote

One needs a flare launcher as much as one needs a preban rifle. Who really needs a preban? Does the bayonet lug come in handy when your plinking? Are you going to stab your target from 100 yards away? Who needs a flash hider, are you shooting in the dark and trying to hide from someone? People like different things for different reasons. I like anykind of weapon that is exotic or hard to find. How many of you here has a launcher under your rifle? I doubt any of you do. It might add weight, bulk, and be clumsy but I have 4 other AR's to shoot so whats the big deal? As far as lacking anything ChaZ, I'm not lacking anything, I just like different things than you do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Thumper.  I love it.  Been shooting film canisters 200+ yards yesterday.  I reload my own.  Goto www.brassmanbrass.com and ask about 37mm cases.  He has them for $1 each. I got 20.  You knock out the primer, put a #209 shotgun primer in it, add 30-60gr of fffg black powder, a wad (piece of cardboard), and whatever you wanna shoot out. Lotsa fun!! Like a grenade launcher but no paperwork.  Heck it'll shoot bird bombs 200+ yards...talkabout firework fights...re-enacting WWII, or pest repellant (mother-in-law).  :)  
Goto www.37mm.com for reloading instructions and a msg board.  I am "Thumper" on there...
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#10]
The 37's I've seen are junk.  They're not made well (flimsy) and the mounting hardware leaves a lot to be desired; every one I've seen has a LOT of play in it.  Seems like the thing just flops around under the barrel.  Now because you hold on to the underside of the launcher with your left hand, you 've lost a little control over the weapon.  Of course, if you really want a 203 clone in 37 that is solid and tight, try Randy Shivak (www.mr40mm.com).  He specializes in 40mm stuff and makes a modified 37 off of a standard GI M203 frame.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I have thought about getting one myself but where do you find the rounds to shoot thru it??
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Check out [url]www.37mm.com[/url]

[url]www.fire-balls.com[/url] is one supplier of 37mm smokes and flares.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#13]
The later launchers have the shittiest mounts(they look like they just clamp to the barrel).  My launcher was an earlier modle (possibly an early Tapco) and it mounts just like the real thing (into the barrel nut to stop movement).
The new ones also seem to hang unnecessarily LOW so that the handguard (being necessary to hide the mounting and STOP at the rail) doesn't do the job.
MINE
[img]http://members.aol.com/bishop042/m2037c.jpg[/img]
Compare this photo to other launchers you see...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a 37mm launcher some years ago shortly after buying my Colt HBAR.  Wouldn't you know, I've NEVER fired the damn thing!  I thought it looked mean too, but after seeing how expensive the rounds were, and how heavy it made my rifle, I put it back in the box.  It's brand new in the box, with 20" HBAR mounting hardware, top handguard, optional leaf sight, and cleaning brush.  I wish I'd gotten the M79 type instead, because it's heavy on my rifle.  I think it's a Cobray, and it accepts all available 37mm rounds.  I'd actually like to sell it.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know about the "on-gun" models but my stand-alone "Thumper" 37mm flare launcher rocks.  Its got a solid octogonal barrel, no play in it at all.  Trigger is rough but I hope it'll smooth with use.  It'll launch a 15mm bird-bomb with a adapter and you can RELOAD the shells.  Makes it REAL cheap to shoot.

I buy allumnum 8" cases for $1 each, pop the shotgun primers out, ad a new one, add 30-60gr of FFFG black powder, a cardboard wad, a cool projectile and shoot ALL day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top