Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2001 6:08:43 AM EDT
I also want better than combat accuracy. I have been carrying a Glock 19 with a couple extra mags for some time now and I have never had a malfunction with it except when first purchased (failure to feed), a quick trip to the smith and it has never ever and I do mean never malfunctioned again. [:D]

I like the look of the 1911 high caps available by the leading manufactures and none of the prices ($ 650.00-2,400.00) have scared me away. Mag prices are a less than what I would spend if I purchased a Glock 21.

My question is, are any of these expensive 1911’s as reliable and as accurate as a G21?

I am particularly interested in the opinion of Glock owners who also shoot these wonder 1911’s.

By the way this is urgent, I have been infected by the bite of the .45 cal bug and I have to purchase the right antidote ASAP or I will die.
[xx(]

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at a Para Ord P14 limited, 14 shot, one mag plus coupon for 2 more. The limited are about as good as you can get for what they well for. Seems to run $700-$800 for a sts limited (lots of extras included)

[url]http://www.paraord.com/home.html[/url]

just my 0.02 Ron
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a hard look at the CZ-97B.  Accurate, totally reliable, and different carry options.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You answered your own question, I think. The Glock 21 is the only option for what you described. Yes, I own one. There is no substitute.

Of course this is just my own totally unbiased opinion.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
thisisme,

Well, since you live in AZ, maybe you live in Phoenix.  If so, the BEST 45s in the world (bar none) ar at:

http://www.bigbore-guns.com/

Take a good look at his custom pistols.  Look closely at #14.  Hahahaha - you can't have it, it's MINE, all MINE.

Seriously, the prices may scare you though.  Mine has a damascas steel slide which ups the anti considerably.  It was more than your hi end price limit.  But standard steel slides or other products are less.

I'm not sure what it would cost for a hicap custom job from Gordon, but it is worth a visit to the shop it you are local.  At the AZ shoot recently Anti and I shot my Bigbore and were hitting a 4 inch steel pipe set vertically in the ground at a range at least 25 yards, I think more.  I think it was more like 40 yards./   This was freestanding unsupported.

If you don't go that route, he also carries Glock (as a Glock certified armorer), STI and Kimber.  Worth a trip.

James

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#5]
THIS,

You should also look into the USP .45 "Tactial".  These are extremely accurate and have the Match Trigger included to boot.  You also have the option to use the barrel's threaded end to attach a flash suppressor, which will further increase the accuracy (see [url]www.ccfa.com[/url] ).

The USP series is also hyper reliable.

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Ron''s The P14 is defiantly on my shortlist though I would want a long slide (6”) high cap version.

Faris, I have looked and looked and cannot find any mention of mag capacity for high cap mags for the CZ-97B or any place where I can buy them. CZ’s site mentions the mags but shows a pick of the gun with 10+1rds. Please enlighten me, I need more information. Links would be helpful.

Jimmybcool I am aware of them. Their prices seam a little out of line, I hope the Caspian Damascus steel slide did not cost you too much more than you could have purchased it for direct. $ 525.00 or about $ 300.00 over the cost of a run of the mill slide. After I upgrade my carry piece I will want to get another one like it with a Damascus steal slide also with a custom serial number from STI.

455SD I love my Glocks so don’t get me wrong when I say this but as reliable as they are they are uglier than ugly and if there is something as reliable and accurate I would will buy it. I will also continue to enjoy my Glocks.

CMOS the gun looks and sounds great. I just can’t see paying top dollar to be limited to 12rd mags knowing that 16 round flush fitting factory mags exist.

THISISME

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the CZ-97.  Very accurate, very reliable, affordable at $479, and has a capacity of 10 rounds.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Raven your missing my point. I want high caps too.

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my Para Ord P12. Gotta sell your teeth for the mags, but I think it's worth it. Good carry size and capacity.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]
H&K USP .45

I love mine so much I had sexual intercourse with it. [BD]

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the biggest hicap mag in .45 available?  12?  13?  What are the grips on those guns like?

In comparison with a 1911, 10 rounds for a .45 seems like a hi-cap to me.  It isn't a 9mm, you know.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's the biggest hicap mag in .45 available?  12?  13?  What are the grips on those guns like?

In comparison with a 1911, 10 rounds for a .45 seems like a hi-cap to me.  It isn't a 9mm, you know.
View Quote

Para Ord probably has highest capacity 13+1 I believe. I'm leaning towards a custom Kimber myself. I have an H&K USP 45 with 3- 12rd mags, it's accurate out of the box and hi-cap available for around $75-$120 each depending on how lucky you get!

John

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
H&K USP .45

I love mine so much I had sexual intercourse with it. [BD]

View Quote

Did you have to get it drunk
first?
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#14]
coyote3, At over 300lbs I think I can CCW a long slide version.

Raven, 14rds in a P14. 16rds in an HK USP Match. 12rds in a G21 and you can get a +4 extension and according to my Brownells catalog STI come in 15rds and 19rds and infinity’s mags come in 14rds and 18rds and all of these are top rated companies. I think I can do better than 10rds.

THISISME

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The Glock 21 has a 13+1 capacity. Hi-cap mags are a little cost prohibitive but most hi-cap .45s are. Sure the Glock 21 is big and ugly, but it meets all the criteria--

It's a .45,
hi capacity(13+1),
reliable as they come,
very accurate right out of the box,
priced under 5 bills used.

So, get rid of that chrome-plated, sissy pistol and get yourself the Glock!
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#16]
455SD, So, get rid of that chrome-plated, sissy pistol and get yourself the Glock!

I would never carry a pistol with a reflective Finish.

The truth is I may end up getting a G21 for carry and a high cap wonder 1911 for the range and if it proves reliable enough it could become my carry pistol.
Perhaps I can find a smith who will change the contour of the slide of the G21 and refinish it for me in matte black.

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 2:56:42 AM EDT
[#17]
For all the Glock guys quoting Tommy Lee Jones from US Marshalls "get rid of that chrome plated sissy gun,etc." The gun in question looked like a berretta 92. No one is arguing that glocks aren't reliable, but I think that statement was probably directed more to the caliber of the gun(9mm) and the fact that he had it chromed. The Marshall's were packing Glocks in .40 I believe. Anybody that would call a 1911 a sissy gun is just making themselves look pompous. If 1911's are sissy guns, why do all the veterans that used them in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, etc. love them so much. You guys might want to pay attention to the History channel when they interview vets and listen to what they have to say about thier preference, carries more weight with me than most of the posters on a website do.

Having said that if funds ever become available for another pistol I'll be coveting a Glock 21. I like 'em all.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 3:58:29 AM EDT
[#18]
before getting a G21 spend some time shooting one.  I have fairly large hands but find the grip waay big.  I'll be sending it off soon for a grip reduction but in the meantime i shoot my P14 LDA which is very nice.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#19]
TacCar

I think the quote was directed at the fact that the Glocks are simple, reliable pistols that get the job done with no "bells and whistles". I also think it was a small jab at movies like "Diehard" and "Lethal Weapon" glorifying the wondernine. Believe me, I have no ill feelings towards the 1911. They are one of my favorites. However I prefer the 1911 in it's pure, military configuration. I don't have much use for the latest and greatest.

I like the quote from US Marshalls because it sums up my feelings about all firearms. I firmly believe in the KISS principle and sometimes I get amused at some of the things guys hang on thier firearms.

If you want a race-gun fine, but they don't make very practical carry pistols. I endorse the Glocks because they are simple, reliable, fairly inexpensive, and personally, I shoot them well. Glocks are great carry guns because you don't have to clean them or oil them, they don't get fingerprints, they don't rust, just load and carry. Very little maintence(sp). Try that with a fancy Chrome-plated, sissy pistol[:D]

The Glock 21 is a big pistol. I prefer the model 30 for carry,but then you are limited to 10 rounds. 10 rounds of .45 should be plenty.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Accurate?

Totally Reliable?

Hi-Cap?

HK USP 45 or HK Tactical .45

There is no comparison.

I will buy more USPs, I may not buy any more 1911's and I sure as heck am not getting a Glock 'till they fix the barrel.

The USP is the Glock-plus, Glock times two, Glock grown up.

[url]www.streetpro.com/usp[/url] Check out the toruture testing they did on the USP. Firing the gun with bullets in the bore, and more.

You want a USP or better, the Tactical.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#21]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
H&K USP .45

I love mine so much I had sexual intercourse with it.

Hmmm.....a USP has a .45 inch bore right???

So you are saying that you are "small enough" to do a .45 orifice!!

No wonder you like to spank!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#22]
hehehehe... ummm... it was the magwell and very painful, LMAO

Anyways... I don't like the "Tactical".

Why?

The "Tactical" comes with "match adjustable sights"

On a "Tactical"???? How "Tactical" are "match" sights? Just the thing you need in a "tactical" situation are your "match" sights coming lose when you... take a dive or something.

Then a "match" trigger for a "tactical" handgun...

uhhh..

The threaded O-Ring barrel is the only thing that makes sense on that gun.

If I got a tactical I'd ditch the match sights for some fixed night sights. Even the match trigger is still pretty stiff so I'd stick with that.

But it just doesn't make sense calling a gun "tactical" and most of the things making it "tactical" are "match" target parts...

Ya know?!?

Damn weird ass krouts... LOL

But they sure know how to make a reliable, accurate gun. I love my H&K USP, it is an amazing pistol. Just their configurations are a little odd.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Frank-

I think the sights are for the lucky stiffs who get silencers and adjustments might be neccesary for clearing the can.

Match trigger? umm...yeah, whatever. Nice feature, but a neccesity? nah.

Love the O-Ring. I'm going for a CCFA bbl for my USP9F, kind of build up my own tactical.

Gotta love the USP!

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Umm.. it was a Taurus

the one that is a copy of a 92FS

It shows how accurate the movie is...

And I like the part "yeah aren't Glocks great, they even shoot underwater"

yeah... uh huh.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#26]
hah, right on Frank, you posted it right before I did, he has a Taurus, NOT a beretta 92.  And I love his nickel plated sissy pistol quote, because look what hes holding on the cover of the movie.  A nickel plated 1911 if I remember.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#27]
How about a Glock 20? 15+1 and blows the doors off a 45.

As far as 45's go, the USP 45F is great. Glock 21 also.

A lot of the 1911's are good, but normally need to be tuned in order to be reliable. And they are expensive. Check [url]www.1911forum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi[/url] for the skinny.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#28]
If I were you, I wouldn't let third rate movies with clever catch phrases affect my decision as to what firearm to buy.  What the hell does a friend of Bill Clinton (Tommy Lee Jones) know about handguns?  He's probably anti-gun and thinks they are made of ceramic like the idiots in Die Hard.  

BTW--The end of US Marshals was awful.  I am supposed to believe that a trained killer with a scoped M-16 on the roof of a funeral parlor could miss all those people down on the ground?  
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#29]
How about a EAA Witness.10+1 shot mags and with aftermarket grips the thinnest out there.Mines actually thinner than a 1911.You can carry it cocked and locked or hammer down.I also have a 9x23 barrel&slide, 20 shots of 357 mag.10 shots are what they held before the ban and you can get them for around 20.00 or less.Mine has been totally reliable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got off the phone with my friendly local transfer dealer. I purchased a matte black Kimber Polymer Custom and a set of Meprolight adjustable night sights and three 14rd mags.

It will go to the Smith the day it arrives (Wednesday or Thursday) to install the new sites and two days later it will be in my hands at the range.

Anyone care to share their thoughts about best .45 cal ammo and where I can get it the cheapest in bulk?

THISISME

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top