Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2017 4:26:20 PM EDT
So I recently came into a Daewoo AR-100 and MAX-1. Internally they look great. Externally they're good except they have some surface rust and the front sights are super rusty. I want to fix this front sight problem.

I was thinking about 2 approaches to fix it without removing the front sight, because I'm not set up to do that kind of work and I don't have the 'woo knowledge to work on them.

1) A bucket of Evapo-Rust with the rifles inserted just past the front sight.

b) Trying rust-removal electrolysis with, again, the barrels inserted just past the front sight.

Would there be any issue with either method?

Would one be preferable over the other?

Is there a better approach?

Would either of these methods mess up the barrel?

Does anyone have a spare front sight block for either of these rifles?

Both

AR-100

MAX-1

Edit: While the rust doesn't look great, it looks MUCH worse with the camera flash
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I was hoping someone would know a source for parts. Daewoorifleparts in AZ just went out of business. I've never seen anyone offer gas blocks.
I think you'd be better off having someone bead blast and see what's left of them. They need to be reparkerized regardless.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was hoping someone would know a source for parts. Daewoorifleparts in AZ just went out of business. I've never seen anyone offer gas blocks.
I think you'd be better off having someone bead blast and see what's left of them. They need to be reparkerized regardless.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm just worried bout the pins if I remove them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:45:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Anybody else have any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, just me. 
lol

I wouldn't worry about hurting the pins. I've removed and re-installed many solid pins like that (mostly on gas blocks) and only one got damaged other than cosmetically. Just use a correct cup tip punch. You may need serious heat.

Finding replacement pins would not be difficult if you were to need them. (You won't.) 

The pins don't necessarily have to be removed for a blast and re-park job, but if there might be rust under the block (and that does appear likely), I would remove everything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Soak them in ATF and then take a brass brush to them
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Metal rescue rust remover....
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Coat with naval jelly. Just wear gloves and don't get it on any wood or plastic.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Small stainless wire brush to knock off rust.

B/c blue and rust remover after, lightly applied followed by kroil
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess if it were me, I would remove the rusty parts, sand blast them and have them recoated.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Bead blast and re-park.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of recommended methods. No is really biting on either of my ideas though which is probably a sign.

I'll probably start with the cheapest, lowest effort first because of time and tools, then go from there. I'm still open to other suggestions...

...and also recommendations on where to get Daewoo parts now that the main source closed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I am the only other joker I know that owns a MAX I! Probably just scrape the Daewoos clean and apply some gun-kote...bores should be chrome...and at least the MAX-I is gas impingement with a stainless tube
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92687/atf-da-18596306-292786.JPG
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm just worried bout the pins if I remove them.
View Quote
Im gunna bet they used AR taper pins.  See if they are the same size and cut to fit 
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Coat with naval jelly. Just wear gloves and don't get it on any wood or plastic.
View Quote
Came here to say this
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#18]
And I will take that nylon seat belt sling off your hands on the left rifle
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#19]
This shit actually works, and safe.

Home Depot
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Wire brush and some flat black Krylon!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I've become a huge fan of electrolysis unless you know someone with a bead blaster. If memory serves it takes a regular AR post/detent/spring anyway, no need to replace the block, just replace the "guts".
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Sandblast and reparkerize it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:41:33 AM EDT
[#23]
You would have to find someone with a broken rifle to get the parts would be my guess.

Take them apart and press off the gas blocks and do it right. The barrels are both chromed, so I would bet they are fine.

Were they stored barrel down in a bucket outside?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Wire wheel. That's what i would do with an axe that it otherwise rust free.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Nothing much else to add to what's already been stated but I would for sure remove the gas blocks before treating them.

I have a K-2 and love it.

Since these rifles tend to be hard to find I'm curious as to how you came by yours and how they got in that condition?

Either way, good luck with them.

ETA Mandatory gratuitous Daewoo pic.

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:15:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I call dibs before Miami_JBT! Send them to me for disposal, they are obviously beyond repair.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:49:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Take them off, them soak in vinegar.  It wipes right off.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#28]
That is pretty close to "Metal Rescue"
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nothing much else to add to what's already been stated but I would for sure remove the gas blocks before treating them.

I have a K-2 and love it.

Since these rifles tend to be hard to find I'm curious as to how you came by yours and how they got in that condition?

Either way, good luck with them.

ETA Mandatory gratuitous Daewoo pic.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25872/IMG_9694__1024x688_-280351.jpg
View Quote
Nice rifles, PM sent.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#30]
What a shame someone let that happen to those rifles. Someday......someday
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Dude!

Just admit they be rusted!

camara flash is not inflating that issue!

nice score otherwise!

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What a shame someone let that happen to those rifles. Someday......someday
View Quote
See stuff like that  fairly often when I get called at work to buy out estates
You'd be amazed what just sitting in damp basement for a few years will do many times people will drape or wrap rags over the muzzles or other parts  to "protect" them and you'll get what ya see in the OP
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Wire brush and then try sticking the ends into one of the cheap spark plug cleaners from northern tool / harbor freight.  Just an idea that popped up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Just scrub the shit out of them with CLP and a stiff brush.  Might clean up way faster and easier than you expect.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:59:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nice rifles, PM sent.
View Quote
Thanks, and thank you for the pm as well. I look forward to seeing the "after" pics of your rifles when you're done with them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:16:20 AM EDT
[#36]
That much rust?  Are they steel?  If so, they were never neutralized after the bluing tank.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:16:50 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd hit it with a distilled water with dissolved baking soda in it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:12:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I've used Evapo-Rust on auto parts before, it worked awesomely. I believe the instructions said you can soak a rag/paper towel with the product and lay it over a rusted area. I'd hit what I could with a wire brush, then tightly wrap a dripping wet (with Evapo-Rust) rag around the blocks for a day or so, perhaps repeating the process a few times.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Dude!

Just admit they be rusted!

camara flash is not inflating that issue!

nice score otherwise!

View Quote
I KNOW the rust is bad and they're rusted. It's bad enough and on a rare enough gun that I'm asking a public forum for help.

All I was trying to point out is that the flash makes the rust POP making it seem like the entire part is made from rust, when in person I can see that it's not unsalvageable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've used Evapo-Rust on auto parts before, it worked awesomely. I believe the instructions said you can soak a rag/paper towel with the product and lay it over a rusted area. I'd hit what I could with a wire brush, then tightly wrap a dripping wet (with Evapo-Rust) rag around the blocks for a day or so, perhaps repeating the process a few times.
View Quote
The rag is a good idea!

I was concerned about it hurting something like the chrome lining in the barrel if I just dunked it in a bucket but the rag would avoid that. I think hitting it with a wire brush first then going to the evapo-rust may be what I try first.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#41]
CLP and Hoppes with steel brush didn't do much on the serious rust but did work well on just surface rust.

Evapo-Rust will be here Friday.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Id send it to John Thomas at retro arms works, hes also a member here and does amazing work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top