Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 10:35:06 PM EDT
I have never used an electric shaver. My old man is 80 and is having trouble using a razor so he asked me to find him a good electric shaver.  I am looking at them on amazon.  Was looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-Electric-S3310-81/product-reviews/B01859QHAY/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_4?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&pageNumber=4

It gets good reviews but some complaints about it taking a long time to get the job done.  I thought if there is a place to get a good recommendation on a shaver it is here.  I think he would be OK going up a little in price for quality.  That said please keep in mind he is 80, he won't make use of a ton of accessories, attachments or a LCD screen he is not trimming up around a goatee or anything.  He just wants something quality that will get the job done and last.  It also doesn't need to be water proof, he can't shave in the shower.

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Replying to add I have free shipping from amazon prime, would be a bonus if I can buy it from there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I've tried Remington, Norelco and then tried Braun. Wow! I'll never give up my Braun. I have a tough beard and sensitive skin. The Braun blade last me a year and a half and still got a great shave that whole time. I'm on my sixth blade now so you do the math. Fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've tried Remington, Norelco and then tried Braun. Wow! I'll never give up my Braun. I have a tough beard and sensitive skin. The Braun blade last me a year and a half and still got a great shave that whole time. I'm on my sixth blade now so you do the math. Fantastic.
View Quote
Thanks for the advice. What model?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Norelco 8160XL that I've had for maybe 10 years that I swear by. Still has original batteries and I get 2 weeks of daily shaves on a 30 minute charge. Changed blades once a couple years ago. I've  tried straight/flat electric shavers but nothing comes close to floating rotary heads.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no best electric shaver. What I like you might hate and vice versa. The best you can do is try a decent one of one style,  see how it works and be prepared to try another one if the first one doesn't suit you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
My current electric razor is a Phillips Norelco similar to that but one step up and it was around $80 when I got it.  I bought it in August 2012 and it's still going strong and has always worked great.  I imagine that I'll have to replace it relatively soon because of old age, and I will be buying the same brand again.

This would be the current model equivalent to what I have.

Amazon Product
  • 50% more shaving surface for a fast, close shave
  • Contour following system follows the contours of the face catching each hair with one stroke
  • Dual blade system lifts hairs to cut comfortably below skin level

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Is Afrcom some kind of new acronym?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up a Braun 7 series and love it.  It replaces the Braun 5 series that I was gifted in 2002.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
100% this.

Budget Braun
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had good results with Phillips Norelco.
Wasn't impressed with Remington
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Do those triple rotary ones get all the hairs in the odd neck and jaw spots? Ive got a flat wahl and its ok but but doesnt get everywhere super close
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Braun Series 3 or the Norelco Speed XL pictured above I have both and can't decide which I like better.The Braun is less expensive to replace shave head and it calls for a year instead of 6 months. I went 2 years, but it needed  to be changed, I just didn't know how bad it needed it. Thes also have a cutter in the center for longer hairs, that work well.
The Norelco I can easily go a year, so FWIW. Seek out the multiple layered shave heads. Look at the one above and you can see an outer ring with an inner. I like these better, but you can get upgrades for most after the fact.
Both are close and comfortable, but I lean slightly to the rotary blades of the Norelco vs the screen type heads on the Braun.
YMMV
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is Afrcom some kind of new acronym?
View Quote
AR15.com when spoken, is Arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had the Phillips Norelco you are looking at on Amazon for about two years.  I just got replacement heads for it last week.  Battery is still strong and charges well.  I use in on my face and the rest of my head also.  Got a Mr. Clean hairdo.   It does well on the head also.  For the money it is about as good as you can get.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had a panasonic since 2009 and it's been a good shaver. I've replaced the blades and screen once.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do those triple rotary ones get all the hairs in the odd neck and jaw spots? Ive got a flat wahl and its ok but but doesnt get everywhere super close
View Quote
The one I linked to above gets everything without biting you, and the clippings are contained inside and you open and dump it when done shaving.  The open head designs made to run in the shower dump the clippings everywhere and bite you if you're not really careful.  I bought a cheap open head one and threw it away a week later.  It was triple rotary but a POS open head design.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the one in the OP. It works OK. But it isnt perfect. I still prefer razor shave. Let him know that it will take a few shaves before it will cut closer. It really doesnt do a good job on my neck, but everything else is good.

My buddy uses a BRAUN straight one. He has 5 o'clock shadow at noon... it seems to work much better but is pricy.

Good luck. After shave gel is nice too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. The 3 heads pivot independently and follow the contours of face and neck pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Yall talked me into a Braun.  I kicked in some money and ordered him a nice model.  Thank you for the advice.

In reading the QAs on it on amazon someone asked "Is this a good shaver for my wife?"  It has the answer of "No one is brave enough to answer that sir".
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top