Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2017 10:02:16 PM EDT
So I have some old Guatemalan 5.56 surplus ammo in the 360 round sealed battle packs. The packs are in good to excellent condition.

I don't want to open them just for the sake of testing them, I'd like to leave then sealed for a rainy day.

Is this considered good ammo?

It's been stored for god knows how long in unknown conditions in Guatemala, and it's been stored in my non climate controlled garage for at least 15 years.

What say the hive?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to shoot. Fuct to reload. Off center & undersized primer flash holes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Certain lots were attacked by termites and had small holes in the bags. Most of it shoots great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot it up and replace with new ammo. Guat isn't anything special, just M193 spec ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Good ammo, bought it all the time, still have one battle pack each of African and Guat for nostalgia's sake.

I remember the tarnished cases and termite dust, damn I'm old
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
i got some of the tarnished ones way back from century and while some were ugly, it all went bang.   same power as win  m193.  like the other guy said, flash hole are small and not centered. pain to reload
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Send it to me for proper disposal

Seriously, though.  It's GTG.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
GTG. I have 3 unopened battle packs left.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I shot all of mine, wish I still had a sealed pack. Have a few South African sealed packs stashed away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I shot a bunch of it back in the day. Good stuff as long as the battle packs are intact and sealed. 

A bunch of the loose corroded stuff would fail to fire, but they looked like they'd been stored in moist drums instead of the battle packs. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot all mine up years ago. Besides some visible corrosion, it shot fine.

Personally I would use it up and replace it with newer ammunition.

Fed still has the .5/rd rebate until the end of the month. I bought 4 cases and after the coupon, cc cash cack, and rebate I'm at .234/rd delivered.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shit all of mine...
View Quote
Pics or it didn't happen, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I still have around 12K of it left, good stuff, some was tarnished, just tumbled it, all I have shot went bang just fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I still have around 12K of it left, good stuff, some was tarnished, just tumbled it, all I have shot went bang just fine.
View Quote
Tarnished is a better description than corroded. All of mine chambered and functioned fine. Maybe smelled a bit, but worked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
It's good 5.56 ammo, and it'll likely be more expensive to replace now.  Not sure why people think you should shoot it all and buy other ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Good stuff. I found it to have average accuracy, but very hot!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Good stuff and good brass. I lucked up on about 5k of virgin brass years back, better than anything Winchester puts out. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Good to hear. I'll probably toss one in my truck for "Travel Troubles" . I like Battle packs for their compact size and sealed conditions.

How would it stack up to other modern battle packs produced today?

I think PMC and Privi are the only ones who still make battle packs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I miss Guatemala.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I had nothing but key holes at 50 yards out of my LMT. Back in the day it was cheap enough.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Great ammo. I am still sitting on a few battlepacks after getting 2 cases from AIM. Grade 1 stuff is mint, the grade 2 stuff deeply discounted was also mint. Runs hot, primer holes are undersized.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:02:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Seems like I had some that was corroded pretty bad. Like a few stuck in the chamber.

I'd open it up and see what you have.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:11:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I miss those prices.
I think I'm down to 2 bp's left.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought what I remember as grade 3 from Aim.  All worked. Hot and 5.56 accurate..
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I shit all of mine...
poop thread potential
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I have Guat. 556 and SA 308 battle packs stashed away that I hope I never use.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:56:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Shot a few boxes last week, has that old time ammonia smell.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Talk about the goose that laid the golden egg!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I like the stuff.  Reloaded fine for me.  No problems with flash holes in my lot.  

MIL spec stuff.  Not great accuracy, but goes bang every time.  I'd buy again, and I wish I had bought more when it was available.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's good 5.56 ammo, and it'll likely be more expensive to replace now.  Not sure why people think you should shoot it all and buy other ammo.
View Quote
Inventory rotation.  Unless you are not shooting, you are burning ammo.   Buy new ammo, seal in ammo can, shoot old ammo.  Rinse, repeat.  

That way your stash isn't 40 years old, it's only 5.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I miss Guatemala.
View Quote
Come to Northern Virginia.

You'll feel like you're still there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Good but now older ammo, some of it not stored all that well...oh how I remember those termite infested crates..... Shoot that shit up and replace it with fresh at the now lower prices.  

I shot up the last of my South African last year at a class. This year I have finished off my Guat and am currently plowing through some Portugese FNM... by years end I will be out of "surplus" 5.56.....At current usage rates I have about 10 years of ammo on the shelf rotating out the oldest first as I have been doing though there is kind of a "python eating a pig" effect as when things are cheap I tend to buy more of course....
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because fresh ammo made in a time of non emergency (like right now) is better than 30 year old ammo that you KNOW some of which was not stored well. If you base your decisions on "It will cost more to replace"....you'll never shoot ANY AMMO. The purpose of ammo is to produce skill through regular use of your firearms, it's not a magic talisman to keep hidden away for some great emergency. If you are paying attention and rotating it out regularly you will have plenty of fresh ammo on hand at all times.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Because fresh ammo made in a time of non emergency (like right now) is better than 30 year old ammo that you KNOW some of which was not stored well. If you base your decisions on "It will cost more to replace"....you'll never shoot ANY AMMO. The purpose of ammo is to produce skill through regular use of your firearms, it's not a magic talisman to keep hidden away for some great emergency. If you are paying attention and rotating it out regularly you will have plenty of fresh ammo on hand at all times.
View Quote
All true.

My only and main reason for clinging to this ammo is just to store it in my truck because it seems to pack and travel so well. (due to being in a battle pack)

I suppose I could buy some of the new battle pack stuff by PMC or Privi but I wanted to get some opinions on this Guat ammo first.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
All true.

My only and main reason for clinging to this ammo is just to store it in my truck because it seems to pack and travel so well. (due to being in a battle pack)

I suppose I could buy some of the new battle pack stuff by PMC or Privi but I wanted to get some opinions on this Guat ammo first.
View Quote
I agree, some battle pack ammo would be a good truck stash. A single sleeve of Privi isn't that much.

What I do is use a USGI magazine bandoleer loaded with 6 mags, loaded with fresh ammo for my Truck Ammo. I rotate that out every year. That way it's never more than a year old so despite the less than ideal storage conditions in the truck, I feel pretty confident it's good to go bang if I need it. Been doing that over a decade now and when I fire those 180 rounds in practice etc...I've never had one fail to light.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Lol ....define "hot".....
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Lol ....define "hot".....
View Quote
A .22 bullet going 3200 fps is nothing to sneeze at.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I agree, some battle pack ammo would be a good truck stash. A single sleeve of Privi isn't that much.

What I do is use a USGI magazine bandoleer loaded with 6 mags, loaded with fresh ammo for my Truck Ammo. I rotate that out every year. That way it's never more than a year old so despite the less than ideal storage conditions in the truck, I feel pretty confident it's good to go bang if I need it. Been doing that over a decade now and when I fire those 180 rounds in practice etc...I've never had one fail to light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All true.

That's what I do. I don't rotate it on a schedule though.

I love those usgi bandoliers. 6-7 fit in a milk crate, then stack the milk crates

I use coyote brown ones for 77 grain hpbt and woodland for 193.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I kind of remember it being a little dirty and having an ammonia smell.  Wasn't this the stuff that the base of the bullet was sealed with some kind of tar?

I shot tons of it back in the day though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some of the new ammo is quite shitty compared to ''that old stuff'' that seemed to go bang and was manufactured correctly.

I'll put SA up against a lot of the new boxed stuff that seems to slip through QC.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
but it's not "hot"....
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Just shoot it.

If it kills you then come back and complain.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Some of the new ammo is quite shitty compared to ''that old stuff'' that seemed to go bang and was manufactured correctly.

I'll put SA up against a lot of the new boxed stuff that seems to slip through QC.
View Quote
Well, yes, some of the new ammo ain't all that great. And, the SA was made to a very high level of care but, it's 30 years old. I'll put QUALITY made current production ammo over it. You buy 200 rounds of Black Hills and you aren't going to have any issues. Same for IMI though there have been a few bad lots in recent years. Federal can be kinda hit or miss but on the main, not bad. And, I would certainly be more inclined to trust ammo that was made in the last 3-4 months than shit that was made in say January of 2013 right after Newtown for example.....

Depends on what type of ammo you are buying too. Most of the Euro surplus- and there is a lot of it around right now, Mostly M855---- Lithuanian, MEN, GECO etc....is OUTSTANDING, freshly produced ammo that I would have no problems going to war with.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I cringe at the amount of Guat I bump fired back in the day. 

They were practically giving it away. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
but it's not "hot"....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
but it's not "hot"....
Compared to the Russian steel case stuff that was selling for only a few dollars less, it was pretty hot. Huge fireballs out of my middle son's ban-era 16" plain muzzle CAR.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Good stuff. No malfunctions in a thousand or so rounds I've fired. I've still got a bit over a case left from AIM about ten years ago. It runs about 1.5 - 2" groups in a sub 1", 24" AR.  I shot 3 hogs with it a few months ago & it really does some damage at the velocity the 24" tube gives it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Prvi is good ammo. I've had it come sealed in both the marked green bags and unmarked clear.

You could also buy Wolf Gold and seal it up in bags with a dessicant pack if you wanted.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Compared to the Russian steel case stuff that was selling for only a few dollars less, it was pretty hot. Huge fireballs out of my middle son's ban-era 16" plain muzzle CAR.
View Quote
lol...it's performing to the specs for M193....it's not  "hot"...

the steel case you had was "weak"....Guatemalan is "normal"...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I cringe at the amount of Guat I bump fired back in the day. 

They were practically giving it away. 
View Quote
No kidding.  I think I was paying something like $125/1600-ish rounds.  Does that sound right?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No kidding.  I think I was paying something like $125/1600-ish rounds.  Does that sound right?
View Quote
I think I paid $180 at a local gun store. It wouldn't surprise me if some were sold that cheap.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#50]
I brought that ammunition into the country back in 1997 when I was a buyer for Century. The Guatemalan stuff was about 9 million of 12 million rounds on that purchase (the rest being IMI). All the Guatemalan stuff was loaded on machines that looked like Waterbury types and the components were supplied by Remington or IMI. It was stored fine.

I do remember that the amount we bought came up short and Guatemalan soldiers were pulling rounds out of magazines in their mag pouches, reassembling battle packs that had been opened and stored in armories, etc.

We brought in all their old M16's too..most as parts kits to build into Postban ARs and 1200 to 1500 CAR-15s that went to LE sales.

It's good ammo, they were selling it to us because the Israelis sold them a shot load of Galils and ammo to go with them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top