Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 10:00:17 PM EDT
So I was driving around getting some errands done when I pulled up to the traffic light (only one we have in town). There was a wallet laying in the middle of the road. I opened the door and picked it up, it belongs to a guy in Oklahoma. I'm doing what I can to find him but I'm getting nowhere.

It contains his commercial driver's license, credit cards, concealed handgun license, hunting & fishing license, insurance, a contractor card, Blue Cross and medicare cards, and a ton of receipts. I went through everything looking for a phone number, but there isn't one.

First I went to the police station to turn it in. But this being a podunk little town, it was closed. After hours, offices are locked up.

So I went home and tried googling his name and hometown to see if I could find a phone number, thinking I could call someone and they could relay a message to him. I only found one number and it's not working, so it must be old.

Then I tried something else. I figure he's a trucker due to the license, and the road through town here is a main route from I-5 to the coast; trucks are rolling through here constantly. I found the wallet in the middle of two lanes that turn left onto the main road which goes to the freeway. So he was probably leaving town and heading for the freeway. There's a truck stop there right before the freeway. I thought he might have stopped there to gas up first, and that's when he might have realized he lost his wallet, so he could be sitting there trying to figure out what to do. It had only been an hour since I found it, so I hopped in the car again and ran down there to look for him. But there was no one that looked like him. I asked the employees, but they weren't aware of anyone who had lost a wallet. So that was a bust.

I guess he just left town and hit the road. He's probably already put some distance behind him and it could be a long way before he realizes his wallet is gone, and then he's stuck.

So my next thought was to try the magic of arfcom. I don't supposed anyone here knows a 66 year old truck driver who lives in Pauls Valley, Oklahoma?

If I get nowhere with this, then I'll just turn it in to the police in the morning. Don't know what else I can do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Mail it to him?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
In.

You are a good man for trying.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mail it to him?
View Quote
I thought about that, but wouldn't the police be able to track him down or get a message to him at his home address and let him know they have it? That would be faster than mailing it.

Just guessing here, I don't know how they handle stuff like that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Call the 800# on his Insurance card and report his wallet with contents has been found. They will have his current home/cell number. I'm sure they'll be happy to call him.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Call the 800# on his Insurance card and report his wallet with contents has been found. They will have his current home/cell number. I'm sure they'll be happy to call him.
View Quote
X2
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In.

I hope someone would be nice enough to try to help me out. But with my luck, probably not.  

Quoted:
I'll try that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I found a credit card a couple years ago. I called the number on it and they called the guy right away.

Since he wasn't in the area when they got ahold of him they went ahead and cancelled the card, but they had his current phone number.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a bassboat with his credit card. He'll find you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Deleted post. Do not want to derail this thread with a not-so-funny remark. :)

OP, you're a good Man. Please keep us posted on your humanitarian journey.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll try that.
View Quote
It worked! They called him and they put us together on the phone, I just got done talking to him. He's riding a motorcycle. I thought that might be the case (if not a trucker) because of the eagle snaps on the wallet. But he's in the next town over. He wanted to come down here but I couldn't explain the location, he doesn't know the area. I told him it's easier if I go to him. He's at a restaurant I just ate at last week. So I'm headed there now to give it back to him.

Thanks for the help. I knew I could count on arfcom!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn Arfcomers are quick
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Good job OP. You should buy a lotto ticket and may karma pay you back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome, OP. Job Well Done..!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Good job, Smashy!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Good man.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Good job op.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good job op.
View Quote
Post up after exchange in case this was a serial killers brilliant trap
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Good on ya, ol' son! You saved that guy a metric-buttload of trouble.

I hope he bought you a fifth for your troubles. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Post up after exchange in case this was a serial killers brilliant trap
View Quote
I'm home now and still alive. No serial killers.

He was a nice guy, we had a good conversation. It turns out he and his wife are traveling on a pair of full dress Harleys, pulling trailers. They were going south down the coast, planning to go further south but they had to turn and cut cross country because of the fires. So they ended up coming through my little town. I told him since he's not local and because of where I found the wallet, I figured he had just come from the coast and was heading for the freeway. I was right. Tomorrow they're headed down to the Klamath area before heading back to Oklahoma.

He was grateful to no end, offering money or to buy me something to eat. When I declined he asked if there's a charity he'd like me to donate to. That made me laugh. But I told him no, just trying to help a guy out. We had a good talk about bikes and road trips and stuff. He gave me some tips about traveling when I told him I wanted to do the same thing.

Him being a gun owner, I also made sure to tell him I went to ar15.com for advice and that you guys helped me make it happen. So I put in a good word for you. Maybe that will help stifle the reputation you guys have.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You should buy a lotto ticket and may karma pay you back.
View Quote
I stopped buying lotto tickets. I got tired of losing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Dang, should have read the whole thread, I'm from PV so I sent you a message to offer help, but you already had it resolved. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top