Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2017 9:52:35 PM EDT
I've been seriously contemplating a pet lizard.

Have explored the possibility of several types, but leaning towards an iguana or tegu.

I have the time and space, and aren't worried about the possibility of being bitten, but would prefer a species that will eventually be tame.

I have no experience with lizards. We do have turtles, frogs, sheep and geese, so animal maintenance is already on the daily chore list.

Reptile people, thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Bearded dragon,there isn't a better pet lizard.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
20 years ago I had a pet iguana that was about 2 feet long. I used to sit on my porch and he would sunbathe on the front grass, did this a million times. One day he got spooked and ran up the neighbor's tree. Took me 4 fucking hours to get him down, I was about to cut down the tree. Don't be like me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife had a bearded dragon and I gav it a natural anole to hang out with. The anole must have carried some kind of wild pathogen and the dragon immediately died.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I chat with a local Western Fence Lizard nearly every day.

Insightful little guy. He sure doesn't have much good to say about Geico. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Lizards are what snakes eat.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#7]
If you aren't worried about getting bit by those two, you haven't been or haven't seen it happen.

My advice for larger lizards;

Uromastix
Blue-tongue skink
Bearded dragon
Frilled lizard
Sungazer
Asian (captive bred only) or Australian water dragon
Chuckwalla
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
/thread
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I guess I should start look at Bearded Dragons.

Suggestions on specific type, or does it matter?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]
My kitteh used to bring me lizards.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, I guess I should start look at Bearded Dragons.

Suggestions on specific type, or does it matter?
View Quote
Doesn't matter, they're all going to be captive bred and easy to care for.  Buy from a breeder with good reviews.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want something exotic, look at panther chameleons. Might not be a great starter lizard but as long as you're not an idiot you can manage.

I'll try and upload some images later of mine. He's still young but starting to get some cool colors.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you want something exotic, look at panther chameleons. Might not be a great starter lizard but as long as you're not an idiot you can manage.

I'll try and upload some images later of mine. He's still young but starting to get some cool colors.http://i.imgur.com/EaMc3Jf.jpg
View Quote
Is he tolerant of being handled and friendly?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
No.

Chameleons are the bitchy pajama boy of lizards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not recommend to handle much but after a while, you won't want to handle a lizard much anyway. They aren't like a dog that you can"play" with. My reason for having a cham is more of a display animal.

I get him out about once a week but I hand feed him about everyday. They do the whole shoot the long ass tongue out thing just like you think they would. It's pretty neat.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#18]
go big or go home

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#19]
The Lizard People will not be happy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
yep owned about all of them Iguanas  ,geckos, anoles , grass lizards , monitors
It is the only lizard that can actually be a "pet"

Chihuahua vs Bearded Dragon
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#21]
They are warm and cuddly with you in bed at night.... Not! 
I had one once, be he ran away the first time I took him for a walk - never saw him again...

Then I got another one, but when I refused to get him his own TV he went on a hunger strike - I wouldn't give in and he eventually died of malnutrition.

Then I got a Black Lab and have been happy ever since - my suggestion is that you do the same... 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is the display I made for him. I wanted people to not really know there was a lizard in the room.
   The cage on the left was the one I used when I first got it because he was way too small for the bigger cage.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want a large lizard that can damn near be dog tame,  a tegu is what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#24]
You can come to my place and have this one.

He'll be there at high noon, tomorrow.

This one was peeping my GF a few years back, but she's since moved:

Chris
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#26]
If you are serious about wanting a tegu or iguana you shouldn't have a lack of concern with being bitten. Tegus can inflict a pretty serious bite,not as nasty as a big varanid but still enough to suck.

Bearded dragons,if raised and handled properly,are the best lizards on several levels: easy to care for,readily tame,enjoy interaction far more than most and have a sweet spot of being big enough to handle easily but don't attain a size where they're a pain.

Leopard geckos are neat little guys but don't tame quite as easily nor do they enjoy being handled as much. If you want decoration rather than a pet,it's another matter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's my thoughts on this.  I may be biased as I breed and raise Bearded Dragons and have some of the most red Bearded Dragons around.

You can't beat a Bearded Dragon as a medium sized puppy dog like lizard.  Built like a tank, actually like attention from their human counterparts, and are a much more versatile when it comes to feeding.  They are omnivorous, so eat veggies and bugs.  Can't get crickets from the pet shop this week?  No problem, buy some collard greens and you are good.  

They also get big enough to handle easily, but not too big.  My biggest is about 20" long with the tail.  Mainly their body size is your hand size.

They are simple.  The aren't as specific or delicate as, say, a chameleon or Leopard Gecko. And they have a decent lifespan of around 10-12 years.

They don't require much, but they do need it warm.  

If you get serious about one, let me know.  I have babies from this female hatching as I type this.  Look up "Mike's Beardeds" on facebook if you want to see more.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#28]
We have several pet lizards.  The assholes always crap in my driveway and on my front steps.  But they eat some of the bugs, so they get a pass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#29]
iguana's have real teeth and if they bite your thumb because they are assholes, it will look like a small shark bite and will bleed enough that it will over pour you cuped palm while look at it and think "that just really happened".
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#31]
DOVER, Delaware (AP) — Several flesh-eating pet lizards were found feasting on the corpse of their owner in his apartment, police said.Police were called to Ronald Huff's apartment in Newark, Delaware, on Wednesday after a relative became worried because Huff failed to show up for work, investigators said.Officers found Huff's body on the floor, with his pet Nile monitor lizards feeding on his flesh. The state medical examiner is investigating the cause of death.Huff, 42, had last been seen Sunday, New Castle County police said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#32]
We've had several pet iguanas. If you've got the time, room and patience they can be great pets. 

One of ours was litterbox trained. She was also very protective of our oldest son when he was young. 
She was a lot like a cat in many ways. I still miss her. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
They're welcome to feast on me when I'm dead. Because, I'm dead.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Water monitor.    Like big lazy dogs......with scales and flicking tongues.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.  Quiet, tame, relatively clean and easy to care for.  You can stick them on your shoulder and sit at your computer for hours and they won't move.

I was a little skeptical when my wife got one but I like it now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Caught a geko who climbed down a barrel and couldn't get out.  Had to tilt the barrel for it to escape. Does that count?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#37]
What you're looking for is an adult, wild caught Black and White Argentinean Tegu. They're quite friendly, and will come right to you when they see you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've been seriously contemplating a pet lizard.

Have explored the possibility of several types, but leaning towards an iguana or tegu.

I have the time and space, and aren't worried about the possibility of being bitten, but would prefer a species that will eventually be tame.

I have no experience with lizards. We do have turtles, frogs, sheep and geese, so animal maintenance is already on the daily chore list.

Reptile people, thoughts?
View Quote

Aint worried about gettin bit?!?! Oh damn...you dont know do ya. You dont want to get bit by those two.

Get a nile monitor. Haha..youll need lots of space. Get a nice little borin leopard gecko...shake there tale alittle when gettin ready to eat. And then goes and hides.

They live around 25 years.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What you're looking for is an adult, wild caught Black and White Argentinean Tegu. They're quite friendly, and will come right to you when they see you.
View Quote
Hahaha...nice.
Niles are alot nicer...more friendly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hahaha...nice.
Niles are alot nicer...more friendly.
View Quote
Good point. Always nice to have friendly lizards that come right to you without being trained.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I love lizards, man.   I especially like going out an catching a fat fence lizard (yes, they're called "Fence Lizards")...taming it (I have my ways)...and driving around/walking around with him on my shoulder or hat all day.  I'll dig up a bug or something and feed it...and at the end of the day, I release it back into my firewood pile or something.  I do the same thing with skinks, but they a little more jumpy and take a little longer to calm down.  Skinks are much quicker and harder to catch, too!   Little bastards will sometimes bite them until you tame them down a bit.

I honestly think that word has gotten out in the local skink/fence lizard community and they don't much try to run too much anymore and they all seem eager for a ride or feeding.  Sometimes I catch them and I'll put out a bean bag "lizard couch" on my deck table and read a book with the lizards just perching there with me.

I am..the lizard whisperer, man.  They love me.  

Apologies for low-res, my phone is ancient and I was using MS Paint (which I know is not only permitted, but encouraged here).

The bottom pic taken on my back deck table (on the lizard couch)---just seconds before the bigger lizard chowed down on that spider I provided for his lunch.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Had a chinese water dragon for about 12 years growing up.  She would play with the cats, liked sleeping on top of the hanged clothes in the closet, would crawl on my face to wake me up, slept underwater for hours at a time in her aquarium tank and spent a lot of time digging holes to lay her eggs in every spring.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Do not get a Burundi Nile Monitor.

I still have scars from the one I raised.  Wicked bite- tail strikes- he was a mini TRex.

My mother was fascinated when he'd beat rats against the side of the glass, splattering blood everywhere.  It was kind of weird seeing mom interested in that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#45]
My buddy has a tegu thats pretty friendly it was captive bred i believe and hand raised. I've not owned any reptiles in years but had them as a kid and into my early 20's, chameleon's are very cool looking but not so good for handling, some geckos are cool, but some not had a Tokay he was unhandable, had a monitor he was kind of like a cat mostly tolerated me with occasionall tail whips, only got bit when he was still small, hated all other people.

But like others said Bearded dragons seem like the best bet though I never owned one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Pet lizard....
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I chat with a local Western Fence Lizard nearly every day.

Insightful little guy. He sure doesn't have much good to say about Geico. 

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57642/lizzardian-267728.JPG
View Quote
We have so many of those guys in our yard. Sometimes they sneak inside the house and we have to chase them down. Our dogs love to try to catch them but they are quick. There are some rocks where they park their babies, so we fence it off when they are getting frisky so the dogs don't eat the little ones. We love watching them sit on the rocks doing push-ups. What is that behavior alll about? Up down up down... Funny little guys.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Blue Tongued Skink.
They get some size but they're hardy as hell and good personalities generally.

Bearded dragons are probably a good choice as well but they are a little meh in my opinion.
Uromastyx are cool as hell but I have never had one. Someone on Arf owns a couple that are sharp lookers... they may have weighed in already.
If you want something that stays small-ish and is cool AF check out gargoyle geckos.

Iguanas are assholes.
Any large lizard like a Tegu is going to need space. Do you really want something you have to hibernate? It's a PITA.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#49]
DO NOT get an iguana. They grow to be mean assholes. My GF in college had one that was 4-feet long. It would whip you with its tail, claw you to the bone and shred your clothes, and bite you with its razor sharp gums. It took massive smelly shits and required frequent fixes to its gigantic cage because it was always trying to escape. When it did get out it always ended up on something like the top of the couch or curtains and it would DIG IN and you had to pull each goddamn claw off individually while it was whipping you and biting you. I learned that the best way to capture it was with a beach towel then just dump the fucker back in its cage.

It met its demise by my hand and I'm not one bit ashamed to admit that. 

WORST. PET. EVER. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do not get a Burundi Nile Monitor.

I still have scars from the one I raised.  Wicked bite- tail strikes- he was a mini TRex.

My mother was fascinated when he'd beat rats against the side of the glass, splattering blood everywhere.  It was kind of weird seeing mom interested in that.
View Quote
Hahaha....

Yup, sounds like a normal nile.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top