Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/23/2017 7:12:03 PM EDT
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1859264_-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Mother-In-Law-Moving-In.html&page=1

An update back by not so popular demand:

The mother-in-law was booted from her house after stringing out her divorce for 7 years and without money from the prior marriage (but with relatively gainful employment) guilted her daughter (my wife) into moving her into my 1,000 sq foot, 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath ranch with her elderly cat and 90 year old mother with dementia.  She moved in July 2016, it was absolute hell from the get go.

MIL went to extraordinary lengths to try to disrupt our marriage, taking my wife out to dinner alone and crying at her begging her to overrule me and permit her to continue to live like a slob (imagine your average teenager's room with twice the stuff in various states of unpacking, food everywhere, and then add a cat that refuses to use the litter box and whom the MIL refused to clean up after regularly or thoroughly while simultaneously throwing a fit whenever one of us tried to go into her room to clean).  When asked to clean she would slam doors, call my wife a "bitch" and a "nazi" and just outright refuse to help.  Neither of them will pay rent or utilities.  They broke my microwave and dishwasher and destroyed my wood floors.  My kitchen table is about the size of a card table and grandma sits at it from 8AM to midnight every day, with all of her stuff.

Eventually, about 9 months into this hell, at a time where I was spending as much time away from home as possible and was pretty much emotionally destroyed, the wife left me home alone (with them) for a weekend to go visit her sister.  I came home to find that the cat had shat all over and inside of a plastic bag containing wedding presents for my SIL that the MIL had purchased.  I dragged it outside for cleaning/disposal.  When the MIL returned home and saw her prized wedding crap outside (the cat feces not being her main concern) she flipped and took it back inside without cleaning it, telling me it was "none of my business."  I picked it up again to take it outside and that's when she attacked me, scratching, pushing, ripping it out of my hands.

I called my wife and told her her mother was leaving, sent her pics of the injuries I sustained, told her that MIL just assaulted me and either she goes to a hotel or she goes to a cell.

Wife stepped up and kicked her mother out.  At least the house is clean now that I have access, but I'm stuck with cat and grandma.  MIL has been staying with a series of friends, who, unsurprisingly don't want her around either.  I stepped up and helped MIL/FIL finalize their divorce as their attorneys couldn't do it alone, so now MIL has the money to buy a house, but its been months now and no progress.

Most days I dream about selling the house, buying a boat with the money and taking off to somewhere without cell reception (preferably WITH the wife).

TL/DR: MIL moved in; MIL assaulted me; MIL was kicked out; I'm stuck with a 90 yr old dementia patient; GD was right.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Jesus christ dude.  Pray it doesn't run in the family and go buy a bottle of something to wash the pain away.  That's fucked up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
If grandma has dementia, why not drive her a couple cities over and leave her in the public library, then walk away like nothing happened? Wife comes home, asks where grandma is, you just shrug your shoulders.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems like a pretty shitty thing to do to tell us you have pics and describe what they look like and then...............not show them. Much disappoint.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
OP,
Your wife must be super hot for you to put up with that shit. Who is getting paid by the state/medicare to care for the 90-year old dementia patient?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn bro. Having a hard time finding that eject handle?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude you need to split the whole fuckin scene. Eject. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If grandma has dementia, why not drive her a couple cities over and leave her in the public library, then walk away like nothing happened? Wife comes home, asks where grandma is, you just shrug your shoulders.
View Quote
Solid plan.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
You let your MIL and G-MIL move in with y'all in a 1,000sqft house?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cruel, but a viable option.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Dear Penthouse letters....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I would start by giving the cat away. Then depending how bad grandma is, possibly some sort of nursing home. Sounds like your wife has already put you through enough with those 3. Time to make 3 0 unless you like grandma. Fuck a cat that shits on everything tho. I hate cats
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
WTF dude?!

You forgot about the cat...  send it with grandma too
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Jesus christ dude.  Pray it doesn't run in the family and go buy a bottle of something to wash the pain away.  That's fucked up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#16]
So it went EXACTLY like EVERYONE told you it would?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like the MIL didn't want to take care of grandma anymore, so she arranged for you to take her in and then get kicked out. That way it's not "her fault", grandma has a new home and her crazy conscience is clean.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
No. Granny is worth cash. She's at least a dependent deduction come tax time but he can probably get the state or feds to pay him cash money as a home care giver.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep, you got run over.

Good luck...looks like no kids.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the cut of @slomofo 's jib.

My MIL keeps asking how much it would cost to add on to our house or she send weblinks to sites that build $90k medical suites they build in your back yard for MILs...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#22]
So.... for 9 months that this has been going on, your wife has not said or done anything to MIL about her batshit crazyass behavior?
9 months of that hell is 9 months too long for any normal person.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#23]
No good deed goes unpunished. They hung you, then cut you into pieces and tossed your ass into a wood chipper. After that, they threw the remains into acid and then put the acid into an incinerator then shot the ashes into deep space.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I like the cut of @slomofo 's jib.

My MIL keeps asking how much it would cost to add on to our house or she send weblinks to sites that build $90k medical suites they build in your back yard for MILs...
View Quote
Send her a picture of a dug open grave.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Cat to Shelter and Grandma to nursing home.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#26]
The fact that your wife instigated the whole affair, then let it go that far, pretty much tells you what you need to do.

Sorry, but facts are facts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuuuuuuuuck all that. Parents moving in isn't an option, end of conversation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#29]
OP hang in there.... or something

If my MIL ever needed to move in for any reason I would just get a second job and rent her a studio apartment somewhere far away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#30]
After reading that I just realized that I have it pretty good
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Kill the bitch
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#32]
So hindsight and all, do you wish you had ponied up the $5k for them to stay someplace else?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So it went EXACTLY like EVERYONE told you it would?
View Quote
Imagine that? 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Hi, MIL?

Yeah, bad news.  I came home after work today and found the front door wide open.  Both granny and little kitty purr purr are both gone.  I've driven around the hood several times and called the po-po.  They're on the case but it doesn't look promising.

So I've got your and grannies shit in a storage locker and went ahead and paid a couple months rent for you.

Sorry for your loss.

Kthanxbye
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The fact that your wife instigated the whole affair, then let it go that far, pretty much tells you what you need to do.

Sorry, but facts are facts.
View Quote
....punchline is that the bitch has money!  I literally lol'd.

1) stepped up to help finalize another couple's divorce...i assume that means write a check W.T.F.

3) bitch has money 'now' to buy a house ??? 

C.)  ???

4. Prophet
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't care for cats and would catch it in one of those have-a-heart live traps and relocate it to garbage can filled with water.

Sorry about your MIL... I don't think I could take 9 days of mine living in my home.

Edit: If It makes you feel better I put a timer on a lamp in our guest bedroom one time when she came up to see us and set it to come on at like zero dark thirty AM. That didn't go over well, but I played dumb and she left very early that morning. Am I a bad person?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
What the hell is wrong with you! Damn man thats cold as hell, get a grip!
Everyone knows your supposed to dump them at a firehouse.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Similar happened to me once. I hate my MiL she sounds exactly like yours.
I was sitting down and she came at me to smack me or something and I was able to simply grab her arm at the wrist mid swing. She is on blood thinners and once a bruise showed up she acted like I was the aggressor. I cant stand her.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd let my MIL move in if my FIL died or whatever. But it'd be an upgrade for me - my MIL is a compulsive cleaner, a hell of a cook, and not an asshole.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Pretty sure heir is a gif floating arround of cat skeet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Best of luck OP.

Good for you for trying to help out your wife's family, and good for you for drawing the line.

Seems like you're a good guy. Willing to help, willing to put up with some bullshit for the family, but you have a line.

Grab a few beers tonight.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#43]
What round for Grandma?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't care for cats and would catch it in one of those have-a-heart live traps and relocate it to garbage can filled with water.

Sorry about your MIL... I don't think I could take 9 days of mine living in my home.
View Quote
What about Grandma? Havaheart makes larger traps.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#45]
A 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath house that's 1000 square feet?

Closets don't count.

Anyhow, good luck to you, as it seems that you did the right thing, upfront, so God bless you and I'll call my Pope tomorrow and put in a good word for you all.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#46]
An asshole would take all of her clothes off and post nekid pictures...from somebody you don't likes' computer. 

Two birds, one stone. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
At least the house is clean now that I have access, but I'm stuck with cat and grandma.
View Quote

Sig line material
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Read the post, pics didn't load, flipped through page 1, pics didn't load.

OP... WTH
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#49]
While you are waiting for the 'caregiver cash' to kick in, you can feed the cat to grandma! Win/Win!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You let your MIL and G-MIL move in with y'all in a 1,000sqft house?
View Quote
Yeah, I could do that, not even with my oen folks. The wife must be better looking than JLo, TSwift, KBeckinsale combined.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top