Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/23/2017 1:10:27 PM EDT
Looking at a 2017 f350 lariat. Msrp is $65,980 sell price is 59,779. I asked sales rep over phone if he would take 55,000 and he said price is not negotiable because of the msrp.

This is my first time vehicle shopping. Everything is usually negotiable. Is he just being a hard ass or is 59,779 really the best they can do?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell him to call you when he wants to sell a truck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
There is definitely more room.  Most wont negotiate over the phone.  Go in person or work the internet sales manager.  More details help.  4x4, crew, options etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Go in and tell them the price you want to pay.  Drink some free coffee while he walks away.  When he comes back and says they cant for that price leave him your # and tell him to call if they want to sell the truck.  Most of the time they will call before you get home.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
18s anytime now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell him to call you when he want to sell a truck.
View Quote
Yup. Give it a couple days. They get rebates on invoice price. Don't fall for invoice either.

Bought my last chevy in 12. Sticker was 36k, I paid 24k.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Its not about negotiating - or as you probably see it - him caving on price.

Its about going in knowing their true cost - including incentives, rebates etc.  Then work towards that number allowing for a normal market profit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#7]
dealers get regional incentives and consumers can qualify for additional rebates

it's not "ahuk ahuk im gonna offer dat dere 55k and take it or leave it merica"

that only works with used vehicles
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn, 65k is the "sale" price around here... I would be surprised to see a F350 Lariat under 60k.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
10-11% off msrp isn't a bad deal at all on those
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Take the same truck and price it with at least 6-7 dealerships.  Price it at least one of the volume based dealerships too.  I think Galpin is one for Ford.  Find the lowest quote and start playing ball there with the different salesman.  Tell salesman W, X, and Z that salesman Y offered you a better deal and see who is willing to do better.  If someone bites, take that quote back to salesman Y and see if he can beat it.  Repeat as necessary.  I have used this countless times and it has scored me some killer deals.  You could probably even drag this out till late September when dealers will be wanting to move the 2017's to make room for the 2018's and get some real killer deals.  Just be sure any incentives and discounts that they offer you are actually qualified i.e. such as military discounts when you're not active military, etc etc. 

ETA: price it out on True car as well to get a ballpark idea of where the pricing is.  You can also get multiple dealers to email/call you at the conclusion of pricing it on True car as a good starting point for the above negotiations. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Im new to auto buying. My f150 is wearing out and I need more towing/cargo for my business. I was looking at used, but for the price difference might as well get new with warranty.

I think he has more room as well. Their 3 hours away, but my dad has bought off of them before.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Ford doesn't seem to want to deal much at all on their new trucks unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Ricart ford

I have bought 8 superdutys and the last 3 came from here. They post their prices on the internet and are hard to beat. Gives you an ideal to go from.

F350's
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looking at a 2017 f350 lariat. Msrp is $65,980 sell price is 59,779. I asked sales rep over phone if he would take 55,000 and he said price is not negotiable because of the msrp.

This is my first time vehicle shopping. Everything is usually negotiable. Is he just being a hard ass or is 59,779 really the best they can do?
View Quote
Everything is negotiable, but don't do it over a phone. You are wasting your time and any salesman's time. Any clown can ask for a low price. Whether they get it or not, they might not be seriously shopping. Salespeople don't take phone call offers seriously for that reason, and if you were a car salesman, you wouldn't either.

Try internet pricing. Talk to an internet salesperson at the dealership to negotiate a price. If you are getting a new vehicle and don't need to test drive it, might as well shop around if you are willing to drive to an out-of-town dealership.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, where are you located? Do you have the VIN for the vehicle?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP, where are you located? Do you have the VIN for the vehicle?
View Quote
Sent you a pm
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
18s anytime now.
View Quote

Good thing too.

We are nearly out of 17's, stock is looking pretty skinny.
Few oddball builds on the lot but the popular models are long gone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#18]
The salesman is full of shit.

Have you done your homework?

Have you checked the sales ads in the local papers, Ford's website, Other dealers websites, Ebay, Craigslist, NADA, KBB, Edmounds, Cars.com, Autotrader, your local credit union buying service, Costco buying service, USAA buying servicce, TruCar?

The above are all tools for you to research the best price.

Having done this a few years ago you should't have a problem with 55K.  Should be able to do a bit better though.  The more options and crap on a vehicle the more they can come down.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tell him to call you when he wants to sell a truck.
View Quote
This.  Always start from invoice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe in TX it isn't a bad deal..around here up to 20% is the normal when the new models are hitting the lot.

Just one..
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#21]
They always say they cant; over and over.  Sometimes 2-3 different people they keep bringing you that are all supposedly higher in the chain.  They are almost always full of shit also.  Be willing to walk out, and then when you do, you most likely will get what you want.

Car buying is the worst experience when it comes to retail.  Its a model that needs to die.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ricart ford

I have bought 8 superdutys and the last 3 came from here. They post their prices on the internet and are hard to beat. Gives you an ideal to go from.

F350's
View Quote
Hmm, thanks for the link. Internet prices seem somewhat competitive as opposed to haggling with a high-pressure salesman.
I don't know if a trip to Columbus, OH is worth it. I think my wife has a cousin that lives there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#23]
So your parents bought you a car for college graduation and this is your first time shopping or what?
I'm confused

Email the internet sales guy
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Maybe in TX it isn't a bad deal..around here up to 20% is the normal when the new models are hitting the lot.
View Quote
i'm speaking specifically of the '17 ford superduty

i've been following a ford forum just for those since i bought mine in april and 10-11% off msrp has been about the average "good deal"

ford is selling the fuck out of those things and i'd be willing to bet that ford and the dealerships are aware of that...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I see Spartan already asked but if you are anywhere near the northeast let mw know and I'll research it for you. I will tell you that ford doesn't have huge incentives on super duties right now.

Without looking I bet there isn't $4000 in markup in the truck. At $65k is a gas motor probably. I just checked and if you aren't military or first responder in my AO there is $2250 in rebates.

So if they are taking $6000 off it looks to me like they are starting at invoice or a little below that.

Also, I cant believe I'm in before the usual arfcom car buyers that say invoice less holdback less $500 and lifetime free service is where I bought my last truck....lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Send an e mail to the internet department instead they usually can go lower and have more authority
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Keep in mind that incentives are tied to where you live so if you are looking at some random dealer half way across the country you aren't going to get those incentives. It is done by where you are going to register the car.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Car buying is the worst experience when it comes to retail.  Its a model that needs to die.
View Quote
It is dead to me. As stated above, Internet sales for the win. I've done almost all of my recent car shopping online. Same deal with the "No, we can't make that price work" on one of the deals, but I had a different salesman read over the company emails later in the day and decide that he was OK making a few bucks less.

It's also nice because they don't see me drive up in my Ferrari with my supermodel wife and just assume I'm rich.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

i've been following a ford forum just for those since i bought mine in april and 10-11% off msrp has been about the average "good deal"

ford is selling the fuck out of those things and i'd be willing to bet that ford and the dealerships are aware of that...
View Quote
I was absolutely guaranteed by a bunch of broke fucks here that these trucks are too expensive and don't sell because no one can afford them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Good advice here so far.

Get connected with the internet sales manager... he's got the juice to actually negotiate pricing, at least a little.

Do your research, and have good reasons for asking for the lower price. (Competitor vehicle ads, Truecar et al, that kind of thing).

Be absolutely cool with walking away if you don't get the price you want, but also be prepared for the dealer to "walk away" if your offer isn't reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Show up with a cashier's check made out to the dealer for $55k.  I bet their song changes.

My typical strategy is the lowball check and the rest in cash.  I start with the check and negotiate from there.  I usually get what I want.  Only time I struck out was on a used Wrangler in great shape at a good price - they didn't budge.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Give them a week to sit on it and come back with a little higher offer, like 57 if it's still there.

You might be able to get it for 57.5-58ish that way.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I just got a 17 Silverado 1500 Z71/LT/All Star trim for $12k off the MSRP they had displayed. They can do better.

EDIT: Especially since 18s are already showing up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hmm, thanks for the link. Internet prices seem somewhat competitive as opposed to haggling with a high-pressure salesman.
I don't know if a trip to Columbus, OH is worth it. I think my wife has a cousin that lives there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ricart ford

F350's
F350 deal
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Generally the first dealer loses. If i buy a truck from the 2nd dealer, i will drive it back to the first dealer and say "Sorry your gal lost".
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So your parents bought you a car for college graduation and this is your first time shopping or what?
I'm confused

Email the internet sales guy
View Quote
I have had this truck since 2004. Have not had a need for a new vehicle but now mine is having problems with the transmission I think. I also need a bigger truck for towing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I drove myself nuts truck shopping back in the spring.  Dealers don't negotiate very much anymore, period.  With the crazy financing terms they really do not need to.  If you won't buy it someone else will.  

If you need a crazy deal shop around for lightly used trucks from private sellers that aren't financed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I drove myself nuts truck shopping back in the spring.  Dealers don't negotiate very much anymore, period.  With the crazy financing terms they really do not need to.  If you won't buy it someone else will.  
View Quote
This.  And the margins just aren't anywhere near what they used to be.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

did they take your phone number down when you called?

next thursday is the end of the month, 2018 models are rolling out also.

I am surprised he didnt say "come on down and we will talk about it" - or did he say that and you took it as no?

$4200 under the advertised price on a 2017 model of a truck that expensive is not unreasonable.

if he took your phone number down you will probably get a call in the next 2-3 days saying "lets talk"
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

did they take your phone number down when you called?

next thursday is the end of the month, 2018 models are rolling out also.

I am surprised he didnt say "come on down and we will talk about it" - or did he say that and you took it as no?

$4200 under the advertised price on a 2017 model of a truck that expensive is not unreasonable.

if he took your phone number down you will probably get a call in the next 2-3 days saying "lets talk"
View Quote
They had a form on the website that said check for availability-- which was basically get my info.

When I asked what the best price was he said thag was it and they wont budge because their a "no haggle dealer". When I asked if he would take 55,000, cash, he said no that it was not negotiable because it was as low as they would go.

He has my number and emailed me his contact info.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Check your PM's OP

Looks like a pretty solid deal after reviewing the invoice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Check your PM's OP

View Quote
This has to be the first post in the history of ar15.com agreeing with a car dealer. Thank you for injecting some sense to this thread.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Check your PM's OP

View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This has to be the first post in the history of ar15.com agreeing with a car dealer. Thank you for injecting some sense to this thread.
View Quote

Hard to deny with figures in hand.

Actually seems like the dealer is trying to blow it out, truck has been on the lot for a while.

Likely an opportunity for OP to walk off with a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They had a form on the website that said check for availability-- which was basically get my info.

When I asked what the best price was he said thag was it and they wont budge because their a "no haggle dealer". When I asked if he would take 55,000, cash, he said no that it was not negotiable because it was as low as they would go.

View Quote
Cash isn't king anymore at dealerships. They get kickbacks from banks for loans.

Do not mention paying cash until the last minute.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Cash isn't king anymore at dealerships. They get kickbacks from banks for loans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.  Paying cash actually hurts you now.  They make more money off the guy coming in with a trade in and financing a car.  They would rather have that guy then an all cash guy.

I know people who know this and they finance and buy extended warranties to get smoking deals and then pay it all off and cancel the extended warranties.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Show up with a cashier's check made out to the dealer for $55k.  I bet their song changes.

My typical strategy is the lowball check and the rest in cash.  I start with the check and negotiate from there.  I usually get what I want.  Only time I struck out was on a used Wrangler in great shape at a good price - they didn't budge.
View Quote

We get customers that try that tactic.

" would you like to pay the difference on your credit card or your debit card ? "

If not they are politely shown the door, negotiations are over bud.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What he said.  Paying cash actually hurts you now.  They make more money off the guy coming in with a trade in and financing a car.  They would rather have that guy then an all cash guy.

I know people who know this and they finance and buy extended warranties to get smoking deals and then pay it all off and cancel the extended warranties.
View Quote
Cash still does have an advantage.  It allows the dealer to circumvent much of the paperwork and process the purchase quickly and easily.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#49]
This thread is weird.  lots of dumb advice. sorry, it is.

1. Shop around for the lowest price.  

2. Be stubborn and play hardball, it's all a game.

3. Make sure each dealer knows you are definitely going to buy.  Literally say, "I will buy today if you give me a good price."

After shopping around at 3 or 4 dealers, you'll get a very clear idea of what you're going to have to pay.

If the vehicle is selling briskly, you will have to pay a high price.  If sales are slow, they will give it you below cost.

Just like everything else.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I was absolutely guaranteed by a bunch of broke fucks here that these trucks are too expensive and don't sell because no one can afford them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never saw anyone say they wouldn't sell.

They said the prices are way too high.

Taking a huge loan to buy a depreciating asset is the act of a moron.

You getting brainwashed into buying a vehicle you cannot afford is not a sign of wealth, it's a sign of being a chump.

Everyone is a big hero.  Until you look at their mortgage balance, emergency savings balance, credit card balance and 401k balance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top