Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 11:34:30 AM EDT
I've been looking for a used car for my son's first car; I had decided to target and wait for a Camry.

However, a neighbor has a 2000 GS300 he is selling. One owner, maintenance records, excellent condition with 133k miles. Wants $4500.

One thing that makes me hesitate is that is a v6...more power than a 4-banger, and I'm not sure I should tempt him with more horsepower.

What does the hive think? Any known problems? I should expect to get another 50k at least out of it...no?

Update: Went and took it for a test drive; no accidents, ultra clean, regular maintenance with all records. Guy even had the window sticker, and has recorded each gas fill-up for the past 16 years. Put down a deposit, and am taking it to my mechanic for his inspection tomorrow afternoon. Thank-you to all for your help!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Check the insurance differences between that and a Camry, could be a big difference in rates.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been looking for a used car for my son's first car; I had decided to target and wait for a Camry.

However, a neighbor has a 2000 GS300 he is selling. One owner, maintenance records, excellent condition with 133k miles. Wants $4500.

One thing that makes me hesitate is that is a v6...more power than a 4-banger, and I'm not sure I should tempt him with more horsepower.

What does the hive think? Any known problems? I should expect to get another 50k at least out of it...no?
View Quote

how long have you known the current owner. will he let you look over the records? does it have a timing belt and has it been replaced?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#3]
It's powered by the 2JZ-GE, it's a solid motor, inline 6.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Early 2000's big sedans have less power than most of the compact cars today. I believe the GS300 were in the 220 HP range so it's not a scream, esp with 133k miles on it. Decently solid cars and with maint. records for $4500 I'd consider it. Check the safety ratings on it vs the Camry, though. That'd be the one area I'd really weigh heavily on for a new driver.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#5]
It is your son so it is your call.  IMO I would avoid it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]
220 horsepower

3700 pounds

Too much HP/Weight isn't a reason to avoid the car.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine used to buy these cars with over 150,000 miles.  He'd always make sure it was a car with service records showing that it had been serviced regularly.  He loved them and they were reliable and as trouble free as you could expect with 150,000+ miles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I would FO on that for sure.  Really good cars that will last you.  And him being able to tell the girls he drives a Lexus will help get him more trim
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Lexus ' are the most reliable cars out there, just like Toyota. I would only worry about the power if he is irresponsible. I started with a v8 cadillac at 17, almost 300 hp, no problems.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would FO on that for sure.  Really good cars that will last you.  And him being able to tell the girls he drives a Lexus will help get him more trim
View Quote
This...  Do not doom your soon to not getting any tail with a Camary.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#11]
He's very responsible, and it looks like from reading reviews that this v6 is relatively low-powered at 220hp. It requires premium gas; that's a bummer.

Good calls on the insurance and timing belt replacement...need to inquire.

Keep 'em coming; I really appreciate y'all taking the time to respond.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

GS or ES?

ES is a fancy Camry, GS is based on a JDM Toyota (Arista IIRC). It is an inline 6 and RWD, the ES is a FWD V6.

The ES is a pretty meh car, I would happily drive a GS.

Solid car, just make sure all the luxury stuff works or can be lived without as Lexus parts can be a tad spendy and they are somewhat complicated to work on.
We have an early 90s LS400 and it has been a pretty rock solid car except for annoying things like dash cluster issues (and rats eating the wiring).

ETA: At 133k, it has a plenty of life left in it. If it is an ES, make sure the oil changes have been kept up on. IIRC, that engine had oil sludging issues. Otherwise, either the ES or GS will make it to 200k easy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#13]
buy a "new" car that already has 133,000 miles on it?

why?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
this v6
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

GS or ES?

ES is a fancy Camry, GS is based on a JDM Toyota (Arista IIRC). It is an inline 6 and RWD, the ES is a FWD V6.

The ES is a pretty meh car, I would happily drive a GS.

Solid car, just make sure all the luxury stuff works or can be lived without as Lexus parts can be a tad spendy and they are somewhat complicated to work on.
We have an early 90s LS400 and it has been a pretty rock solid car except for annoying things like dash cluster issues (and rats eating the wiring).

ETA: At 133k, it has a plenty of life left in it. If it is an ES, make sure the oil changes have been kept up on. IIRC, that engine had oil sludging issues. Otherwise, either the ES or GS will make it to 200k easy.
View Quote
I agree, I would go for a GS.  Especially one like OP describes.  Low mileage for the year and being a CA it should be rust free.

I thought that was the 3.0 V6, like what was in the RX.  But I may be mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

why?
View Quote
Not sure if serious, but I'll bite.  

Because it's a quality car than can be had for a minimal amount for his son to progress in driving responsibility.  If his son does something silly and gets in a wreck, it's a cheap car as opposed to buying them something for $15K+ and have the OP have to eat the depreciation, plus the loss value of a car that has been wrecked.

If you were teaching your young kid gun safety, would you start them out with something like a BB gun, or just hand them the AR15 right away?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#17]
The 2000 GS300 is one of the most reliable cars made.  They do 200K all the time.  The 2JZ-GE motor is built-proof and plenty of power.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

why?
View Quote
Umm, cause it's a nice car at a relatively cheap price that you could easily put another 100K on it without much fanfare/expense?

Yeah, that's a dumb move (obvious sarcasm)........
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Because it's a quality car than can be had for a minimal amount for his son to progress in driving responsibility. If his son does something silly and gets in a wreck, it's a cheap car as opposed to buying them something for $15K+ and have the OP have to eat the depreciation, plus the loss value of a car that has been wrecked.

If you were teaching your young kid gun safety, would you start them out with something like a BB gun, or just hand them the AR15 right away?
View Quote
Minor correction... 
WHEN he does something silly... 

This is slated to be a kid's first car. The probability of it being eaten up by the natural First Driver learning process nears 1.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#20]
They are known to have ls400 like reliability.

Check the service history, if good then there isn't any reason not to get it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#21]
You have the very best type of used car deal. Impossible to beat private, one owner,  with maintenance docs.
On a make and model that has a great reputation for reliability and 200+ miles without major repairs.

Price sounds reasonable if good condition.

If it checks out I would FO and be happy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#22]
A maintained Lexus will easily reach 300k miles. There are kids and lots of 400k and 500k mile Lexus still on the road.  Property maintained they will last forever.  There are a few original LS400s with over a million miles on the clock and they can still do the wine glass test from the original ads. The downfall of Lexus is when the 3rd owner gets it they just drive it and don't do regular maintenance. Or they screw up the wiring by putting in stereos.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Because it's a quality car than can be had for a minimal amount for his son to progress in driving responsibility.  If his son does something silly and gets in a wreck, it's a cheap car as opposed to buying them something for $15K+ and have the OP have to eat the depreciation, plus the loss value of a car that has been wrecked.

View Quote
Maybe your used car market just sucks.. I can find any number of "reputable" vehicles within 50 miles of my house that are both less than $5000 AND have about half the mileage.

I'm just sayin'
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I had an 01 that had 200k on it when I sold it. It's still on the road and running strong. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, especially if it's a black on black like the one I had which is a somewhat rare color combination as a lot of old people generally bought these. Just make sure the timing belt and water pump are changed along with the VVTi cam seal and it'll be good for a long time as long as it's maintained
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd offer $3.5K. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Update in first post...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Guy even had the window sticker, and has recorded each gas fill-up for the past 16 years.
View Quote

Fuck, what a colossal waste of energy.  All so he could eek out another $87 in resale value.

Congratulations on your new Lexus, OP.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#28]
You could've got an 06 C65 AMG for less.
World''s Cheapest S65...I Paid WHAT?!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top