Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 8:44:29 AM EDT
YouTube has launched their internet based TV streaming service. It is $35 a month, includes ESPN for live sports and includes unlimited DVR and 6 accounts.

But the best part is, CNN is not part of the channel lineup.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?gaiachoice=true&utm_source=youtube_desktop&utm_medium=np&utm_campaign=dhp_p3&pid=dhp-acq-u-p3-c
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
hmm
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone tried this yet?  I'm thinking about buying a $35 Chromecast box, and trying it out.  But I don't want to spend a day or two, and discover this is crap. 
Here are highlights discovered so far. 

Local Channels:
 - No PBS, CBS, Fox, independent channels in my area
 - NBC and ABC

Chromecast box - 2 models available:
 - Chromecast - $35 box supports older TVs
 - Chromecast Ultra - $70 box only supports newer (2015+) TVs that are 4K compatible

No dedicated remote:
 - No remote
 - Download an app, and use your phone as a remote. 
 - Works on Android and Apple phones

Cost:
 - $35/month - 3 concurrent users, 6 registered users
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Trade cnn for google? No thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#4]
>supporting Google
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have an amazon firestick Hulu live tv is pretty good, I've been using that, just switched to Directv Now (live tv streaming) and I pay only 35 (or 40 I forget) and I even get HBO
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]
My gf got it to replace Direct TV. Between her, me and her roommate we each pay 10/ month.

She got a free Chromecast box with her subscription. I bought the 35.00 box and it works on my new TV.

I use it mainly for sports channels,  Fox news and a few others.

Local channels I get using my antenna.

The downside is it only works in a few markets so far.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
YouTube has launched their internet based TV streaming service. It is $35 a month, includes ESPN for live sports and includes unlimited DVR and 6 accounts.

But the best part is, CNN is not part of the channel lineup.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?gaiachoice=true&utm_source=youtube_desktop&utm_medium=np&utm_campaign=dhp_p3&pid=dhp-acq-u-p3-c
View Quote

Piss on them. Not giving them the money.

My wife wouldn't have it anyway.  She must have 1) Investigation Discovery 2) Lifetime 3) Fox Sports Midwest.  Of course the only streaming service that has all of those is expensive enough there's no point switching away from cable.  So I'll be paying an additional $60 per month so she can watch two of the dumbest fucking channels on the planet.  Of the three, I'll let you figure out the dumb ones.  Shouldn't be too tough.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a tough business to be in.
Not sure about others but I haven't had cable for about 10 years.
I'd rather just use YouTube Red and buy individual TV show episodes on Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck ESPN and fuck YouTube. I won't give them a dime of my money.

What I do pay for though is Amazon Prime and Netflix and Direct T.V. oh sure I watch YT, but not the Red version. And as soon as a comparable alternative to YouTube exist, thrn fuck them and their political bull shit all together!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have started looking at Directv Now as a possible alternative to my current service (that is over $200/mo). Their prices are between $30 and $70/mo depending on what programming you want.

Two issues with it as of now are no DVR service and a 2 user limit. A cloud based DVR is supposedly in beta testing and I am not sure if the limit is on active devices or total. There are only two people in my house but we have 6 tvs with various streaming devices hooked to them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
How about 20 a month for 500 channels and every PPV event as part of the deal ?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
No hallmark channel...not gonna work for my wife
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about 20 a month for 500 channels and every PPV event as part of the deal ?

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Thanks, but I'm trying to stay with something that's legal in the USA. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hmm
View Quote
x2
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone try YouTube TV yet? 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top