Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 8:43:58 AM EDT
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/26070-maya-predicted-1991-solar-eclipse.html

Pretty crazy.   We think we're so smart. But the oldies knew some shit too.

I took an astronomy class in college that was heavy on math and I don't think  I'd be able to figure out when the nest eclipse was without google.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Their Nobel prize level thinkers were engaged in astronomy
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I guess there has always been that next level genius type segment in populations.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
People all over the world were able to predict eclipses long before Europeans showed up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Knowledge of Astronomy is was very beneficial for ancient peoples.  It told them when to plant and when to harvest when the winter would come etc.

Many ancient peoples had advanced Astronomical knowledge because they paid a lot of attention.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Knowledge of Astronomy is was very beneficial for ancient peoples.  It told them when to plant and when to harvest when the winter would come etc.

Many ancient peoples had advanced Astronomical knowledge because they paid a lot of attention.
View Quote

This.  Everybody is AMAZED at Stonehenge and other astronomical observatories but it was CRUCIAL to survival.  Knowing when the danger of a killing frost/freeze was past would greatly enhance your chances of not dying of starvation.  They simply observed and then created devices/math to help with those calculations.  Although the accuracy is amazing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I guess there has always been that next level genius type segment in populations.
View Quote
People have always been born with varying levels
Of intelligence, just like now.  The difference back then was that depending on your culture, where it was possible
to use that intelligence
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Think of it this way.  Intelligence probably hasn't increased or decreased much overall from then to now, it's just that we have WAY more tools and resources at our disposal.  People back then weren't dumb.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
People all over the world were able to predict eclipses long before Europeans showed up.
View Quote
People predicting eclipses all over the world never seemed to predict the Europeans showing up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Many cultures throughout history knew these things
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
and we showed up last and did it the best...

Think of all the other Mayan shit the European/religious nuts destroyed/burned?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Built pyramids

Sacrificed humans

Wiped out by Conquistadors with the help of thousands of Indians from tribes they used as slaves to build pyramids and human sacrifices.

No Nobel prize for that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Would've been helpful if they'd dedicated some of those to transportation or metal working.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Would've been helpful if they'd dedicated some of those to transportation or metal working.
View Quote

And chemistry.  Some gunpowder would have been a YUGE help.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Did the predict Climate Change?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did the predict Climate Change?
View Quote

No, but they did predict the end of the World in 2012.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
That, plus there wasn't much else to do. I wonder how much cool stuff I could think of if I weren't reading GD all day long.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That, plus there wasn't much else to do. I wonder how much cool stuff I could think of if I weren't reading GD all day long.
View Quote

We could end hunger and bring peace to the ME.  We might have invented FTL travel by now.  Hell, we might even have conclusive proof that Bigfoot exists.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Didn't they predict the end of the world for 2012?  Guess they nailed Øbama's re election.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People predicting eclipses all over the world never seemed to predict the Europeans showing up.
View Quote
Nobody expects the Spanish Invasion!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Built pyramids

Sacrificed humans

Wiped out by Conquistadors with the help of thousands of Indians from tribes they used as slaves to build pyramids and human sacrifices.

No Nobel prize for that.
View Quote
We are brilliantly addressing the issues of
Our day.

Importing people who
Hate us.  Sending billions in treasure to
People who wish us dead
Spending billions on phony climate change
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This.  Everybody is AMAZED at Stonehenge and other astronomical observatories but it was CRUCIAL to survival.  Knowing when the danger of a killing frost/freeze was past would greatly enhance your chances of not dying of starvation.  They simply observed and then created devices/math to help with those calculations.  Although the accuracy is amazing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

knowledge of astronomy wasn't crucial to survival as evidenced by the fact the humans appeared on the scene and thrived long before agriculture was developed.... hunting/gathering works just fine

but precise knowledge of astronomy enabled control through religion, which in turn enabled large civilizations to emerge
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I thought that was just when their calendar ended, and people took it to be the end of the world. I remember seeing that somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is true.

In many civilizations the brightest minds were studying the 'heavens' and how they move.  Pretty much every civilization at least studied the sun and yearly patterns (equinox, solstice, etc).  It took a huge amount of processing power to figure out eclipses...but once you did, figuring them going forward was just forward extrapolation.  It isn't a measure of technological greatness to see how far forward you can 'call it'...the measure of greatness is how many years after a civilization witnesses it's third eclipse do they figure out the math
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I thought that was just when their calendar ended, and people took it to be the end of the world. I remember seeing that somewhere.
View Quote
It was but honestly if they could see the future their calendar would have ended in 1550.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know.  I laughed at all the idiots getting worked up over it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

knowledge of astronomy wasn't crucial to survival as evidenced by the fact the humans appeared on the scene and thrived long before agriculture was developed.... hunting/gathering works just fine

but precise knowledge of astronomy enabled control through religion, which in turn enabled large civilizations to emerge
View Quote
No, hunter/gatherer didn't work 'just fine'.  It worked...to support a 10 people on the same land that agriculture (which includes knowing when to plant and harvest, sometimes figured out with sun/moon/stars, sometimes figured out by observing behaviors of animals, such as planting when you see the 2nd robin of spring) could feed 100.

If I made a bow and arrow that shot 10 feet, and you made a bow and arrow that shot 100 feet, you think I could get by with saying 'my bow works just fine'?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/26070-maya-predicted-1991-solar-eclipse.html
Pretty crazy.   We think we're so smart. But the oldies knew some shit too.
I took an astronomy class in college that was heavy on math and I don't think  I'd be able to figure out when the nest eclipse was without google.
View Quote
They invented soccer and the lowrider unicycle... of course, they were smart.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, hunter/gatherer didn't work 'just fine'.  It worked...to support a 10 people on the same land that agriculture (which includes knowing when to plant and harvest, sometimes figured out with sun/moon/stars, sometimes figured out by observing behaviors of animals, such as planting when you see the 2nd robin of spring) could feed 100.

If I made a bow and arrow that shot 10 feet, and you made a bow and arrow that shot 100 feet, you think I could get by with saying 'my bow works just fine'?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the 10 foot bow works "just fine" because that person is still alive and passing along their genetic material

geometric population growth is happening either way
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you know what would be REALLY impressive?

A Mayan calendar that went out to infinity.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We are brilliantly addressing the issues of
Our day.

Importing people who
Hate us.  Sending billions in treasure to
People who wish us dead
Spending billions on phony climate change
View Quote
This!

Anyone who thinks that modern day SJW/climate-changed/welfare-recipient/abortion-birth-control/etc America is somehow vastly superior to other historic cultures is smoking too much peyote. Yeah, we've done some amazing things. And yet, we're still being overrun by dumbasses... from the lowest of the street urchins to the highest congressional offices. Look at the supposedly "intelligent" founders of Google and other tech giants... they're friggin 'tarded at life.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is true.

In many civilizations the brightest minds were studying the 'heavens' and how they move.  Pretty much every civilization at least studied the sun and yearly patterns (equinox, solstice, etc).  It took a huge amount of processing power to figure out eclipses...but once you did, figuring them going forward was just forward extrapolation.  It isn't a measure of technological greatness to see how far forward you can 'call it'...the measure of greatness is how many years after a civilization witnesses it's third eclipse do they figure out the math
View Quote
Did civilizations on all continents figure it out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top