Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2017 10:22:00 PM EDT
My 15-year old chihuahua has been having trouble with his feet. He's licking and chewing his toes a lot. He was picking his feet up quickly like you would if you stepped on something hot. His feet were getting kinda raw so I brought him to the vet. 

They weren't sure what the cause was so they gave me prednisone and an antibiotic for him. The same day, it seemed to calm right down. No chewing after that. 

Finished the meds meds a day or two ago, and he's back to chewing. Feet getting red again, and I can tell it hurts.

what can I do?  Vet said it must be environmental. I'm not sure. I don't think it's an allergy. He eats the same food he's had his whole life, I give him beef and chicken (all plain) sometimes. Could be mites or something, but why just now?

i need to help my buddy. It's killing me to see him in pain.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#1]
New carpet, lawn treatment, floor cleaner, or dog bedding?  Had a dog, when I was a kid, that had that happen with a new section of carpet in the house.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a miniature dachshund that does the same thing every spring. It's allergies for him, but totally environmental. I give him a children's Benadryl and wipe his feet with baby wipes (non alcohol). Get in between the toes reLly good. It should help. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New carpet, lawn treatment, floor cleaner, or dog bedding?  Had a dog, when I was a kid, that had that happen with a new section of carpet in the house.
View Quote
None of that. 

I can try the children's Benadryl, but I worry about overdoing it. He's only 6lbs. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Aw man, that's tough to watch a little Chi-Chi have a bad time. They tend to be such troopers, too.
It does sound like an allergy.
Ours got really weird about food she could eat the last year of her life, plus she had heart trouble and had to have medication for that.
She's been gone almost 2 years now and we still miss her. But Chihuahuas and vet bills seem to go hand in hand. Go back to the vet with your little buddy and keep trying.

Have to add, because they are just a bit high strung (ironic understatement), nervous habits happen: ours would go on licking spells until she licked all the fur off one leg. The irritated feet might be secondary to him chewing, just a thought.
Good luck with your Chi-Chi.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Benadryl is 1 mg per pound   unsure if children's doses are different

Thinking it's allergies. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Can he wear those dog boots?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Are his bowls plastic?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
rinse his feet off
give him a couple of benedryl
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#9]
If it is environmental and potentially allergy related, you could have him stand in a warm oatmeal bath for a bit. Might help.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Arthritis? 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Wondering if it is some sort of autoimmune problem since the steroids cleared it up for awhile.

If Benadryl doesn't work might talk to the vet about some sort of steroid regimen.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I had some advice to give.  Hopefully one of the recommendations work.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Id change up the food. And try some Benydryl to ease the misery.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Aw man, that's tough to watch a little Chi-Chi have a bad time. They tend to be such troopers, too.
It does sound like an allergy.
Ours got really weird about food she could eat the last year of her life, plus she had heart trouble and had to have medication for that.
She's been gone almost 2 years now and we still miss her. But Chihuahuas and vet bills seem to go hand in hand. Go back to the vet with your little buddy and keep trying.

Have to add, because they are just a bit high strung (ironic understatement), nervous habits happen: ours would go on licking spells until she licked all the fur off one leg. The irritated feet might be secondary to him chewing, just a thought.
Good luck with your Chi-Chi.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure the pain is from the chewing, I just don't know why he's chewing. 

He's an odd dog. Never takes treats, never plays (at least since his brother died a few years ago- would only play with him), and pretty much just sleeps. We go for a good walk most every day, and live a quiet life.  

Hope I can help the little fella. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#15]
get him a head cone, so he can't chew on his feet, until you get it figured out.

Also wash his feet when you get back from your walks, just because you aren't doing something new, doesn't mean a neighbor isn't
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#16]
How fucked up is it that I thought this would be about your penis but clicked anyway?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How fucked up is it that I thought this would be about your penis but clicked anyway?
View Quote
I'll admit, that crossed my mind while typing. That said, that's fucked up. 

If you're hung up on my hang down, though, I can take a picture for you. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Was painting once upon a time and used paint thinner.

Very similar symptoms happened to my dog and come to find out, it knocked over the thinner and walked through it.  Didn't realize this for couple days.  Gave it a bath (specifically to the paws) and within a day was walking normal and no licking.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Ask the vet about a drug called apoquel. It's specifically for issues like this.

Also, have you given him a bath recently?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Try changing foods, not uncommon for dogs to develop reactions and sensitize to something they've been exposed to for years. Cleaning the feet couldn't hurt also. Benadryl might help too. As might a cone for a bit.

He's getting up in years, all sorts of things start to happen with aging.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'll admit, that crossed my mind while typing. That said, that's fucked up. 

If you're hung up on my hang down, though, I can take a picture for you. 
View Quote
What's even worse is I quick scanned the post above mine as "give him head".

I think I need to go to church this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ask the vet about a drug called apoquel. It's specifically for issues like this.

View Quote
I gave him a bath after the first time, before we went to the vet. It was a hydrocortisone (I think) type for itching. 

The vet suggested the Apoquel, and actually they gave it to the other guy that was there too. Charged him $75 for a month's worth. He had a GSD.  I got up to pay, and figured it would be a lot cheaper for my buddy. He's 1/30th that dog. Nope, $75. I didn't have the cash after the vet bills too. Maybe I'll try it later but I'd rather solve the problem than suppress a symptom, if possible. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I gave him a bath after the first time, before we went to the vet. It was a hydrocortisone (I think) type for itching. 

The vet suggested the Apoquel, and actually they gave it to the other guy that was there too. Charged him $75 for a month's worth. He had a GSD.  I got up to pay, and figured it would be a lot cheaper for my buddy. He's 1/30th that dog. Nope, $75. I didn't have the cash after the vet bills too. Maybe I'll try it later but I'd rather solve the problem than suppress a symptom, if possible. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try washing him with the hydrocortisone stuff again?

Sadly, it may be something new that you can't actually find the source of. Older dogs aquire weird issues and sometimes the best you can do is comfort of life.

Also, you can purchase apoquel online if the vet writes the script. Which any vet should do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#24]
My Jack Russell suffered from the same. For the life of us could not figure out what was causing it. We tried everything in this post....washing feet, benadryl, food, etc etc.

I finally ordered these from Amazon and he has been a much happier dog. I would coat his feet in some coconut oil then apply the booties. After a while the feet healed and he lost interest in itching his feet.

The Amazon description says "large dog" but just select the small size and you'll get good to go.

ETA your dog will walk around like he's got tape on his feet but he will get use to it and walk normal after  a few hours.

Amazon Product
  • Fashionable: Cute pet paw embroidery, soft and hand washable
  • Non-slip and waterproof: Molded rubber bottom, water resistant material
  • Rugged: Tough anti-slip sole provides stability and traction, protection from sharp thorns and hot pavement

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Did you check for stickers or splinters in and between the pads.

Sometimes my dogs will pick one up every once in a while.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Lidocaine spray or ointment might take the edge off for the night.

And please send the dick pic.  To elbeefalo.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:26:02 AM EDT
[#27]
He's sleeping now. It isn't too awful now but it was about like this when it first started too. I'm afraid it will get bad again. Very heart wrenching. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#28]
allergies.  my frenchie does this.  apoquel is the sruff we give him.  works well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Allergies.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#31]
You take him for walks every day.  Is he walking through yards that might have been recently treated or fertilized?

The steroids masked the symptoms for a few days but the issue quickly returned once the meds were gone.

Seems odd he suddenly started having issues.  Old dogs sometimes have weird shit happen though.

He's a good looking boy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:24:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Benadryl is 1 mg per pound   unsure if children's doses are different

Thinking it's allergies. 
View Quote
mg/kg not lb.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:39:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pass on the Apoquel.  My dog has had an issue with chewing her pads / licking for years.  Benadryl stops the licking in the spring months that are allergy related.  Twice a day.  I tried the Apoquel, and it was no more effective... and it gave her the shits.

Once they lick too much between the toes & it gets raw, you need to treat the inflammation.  You need Neo-Predef powder for that - prescription of course.  Get some from the vet.  It stops the licking & numbs the hot spot.   Not expensive, a 15 gram bottle lasts a year on a 80lb dog.

As a preventative measure, buy some Musher's Secret.  Use it on the pads & between the toes a little. It keeps the pads soft, and stops cracking, ice etc.  really works.

FYI, the pad chewing turned out to be tree sap.  The mesquite in the back yard drops the super-glue of the sap world when injured.  Apparently a match head size drop is enough to make her chew a pad raw...  Musher's Secret dissolves tree sap.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#34]
I went to bed at 12:45 or so. He was asleep, and didn't notice. He woke me up about 20 mins ago crying and barking. I went down and he was panting, running around shaking his feet and he feels pretty warm. I put him in some cool water and doused the feet in the hydrocortisone shampoo. I also gave him another dose of prednisone, as there were several pills left after he finished last time. I didn't want to but I can't see him hurt. He's resting in my arms but very much awake. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe a neighbor sprayed poison and hes having reaction?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:33:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Don't have any advice OP, just wanted to wish you the best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:28:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Our dachshund / beagle mix has some pretty bad environmental and food allergies. Benadryl didn't seem like it was cutting it. Prednisone was good for knocking down his really bad flare ups but we had some concerns about the long term damage to his liver and everything since it is a steroid if we kept him on it. The last time he had a flare up he licked himself raw and then kept fussing with it and wouldn't let it heal. The vet had us give him Animax to treat the itching, inflammation, and prevent infection. That got him healed up but he was still having issues. Then they recommended we try Cytopoint. It's an injectable allergy shot and it's really straightened him out, it's about $40 a dose and is good for 4-8 weeks depending on the dog. Our guy is about 30 inches long and 17 lbs and it seems like it lasts for about 6 before we notice him scuffing again.

So I'd try the above if what you have him on isn't taking
- Animax ointment to get him over the acute part and heal up.
- Cytopoint to keep him from itching.

One other thing you can try is use those fragrance-free / gentle baby wipes on his paws and undercarriage when you bring him back inside, helps pull off anything he's walking through.

Shoot me an email if you have any other questions and maybe drop a note in the Pet Forum too, some of them may have some ideas or have had something similar happen.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:12:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Almost 100%sure your little guy is suffering from allergies.

The advice to wash his feet after being outside is a good call. Could be something in the grass that happens to be active this time of year. I would also suggest a shampoo called Eyqss.
Eqyss shampoo

One of my goldens gets a seriously red, angry looking rash on his belly every August. Starts as little sores and spreads out into big red scabbed over rings in a week or so (looks kind of like ring worm). The rash keeps spreading and re-infecting for the next 2 months. Steroids knock it back immediately however as soon as he is done with the course, the rash comes right back. Ultimately we think it is a staph infection/ allergy. I have lived in several places over the northeast and the rash comes back every August, so we are pretty sure it is nothing local like lawn fertilizer.

The Eqyss shampoo helps a ton. Wash his belly every 2 days and we can keep the sores at bay until whatever triggers the sores goes dormant.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:28:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Wow, definitely not expecting this topic based on the subject line!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My 15-year old chihuahua has been having trouble with his feet. He's licking and chewing his toes a lot. He was picking his feet up quickly like you would if you stepped on something hot. His feet were getting kinda raw so I brought him to the vet. 

They weren't sure what the cause was so they gave me prednisone and an antibiotic for him. The same day, it seemed to calm right down. No chewing after that. 

Finished the meds meds a day or two ago, and he's back to chewing. Feet getting red again, and I can tell it hurts.

what can I do?  Vet said it must be environmental. I'm not sure. I don't think it's an allergy. He eats the same food he's had his whole life, I give him beef and chicken (all plain) sometimes. Could be mites or something, but why just now?

i need to help my buddy. It's killing me to see him in pain.  
View Quote

just like with humans, a second opinion (i.e. another vet) never hurts......
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Allergies develop over time. So just because he has had the same food all his life doesn't mean that it isn't a food allergy. I'd go straight chicken and rice for 3-4 days to see if that helped. Other than that, new floor cleaner,laundry detergent, fabric softener, yard stuff?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Your dog has atopy.

we cough and sneeze...dogs lick their feet.

Cortisones will help but only mask the reaction.

Antihisimines i.e. Benadryl will mask the reaction.

Ask your vet about Cytopoint. An injectable monoclonal antibody Tx.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#43]
dble post
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd check for some sort of thorn or something in the paw/s. Something that can cause an allergy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Change his diet, we give our golden people food, chicken fish beef vegetables sweet potatoes no dog food. Also use coconut oil on his paws
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Make sure the food is Grain free. Grains can cause foot issues in dogs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#47]
My vet gave me a little piece of paper with dog dosages for aspirin and Benadryl.

For Benadryl it says:

"Your Bendaryl should contain only diphenhydramine Hcl, no acetominophen.
Generics are fine. Liquid Benadryl should be 12.5 mg/teaspoon.  Caplets are 25 mg.

2ibs ...........1/2 to 1ml (milliliters of liquid)
5 lbs ..........1 1/2 to 2 1/2 ml (liquid)
10 lbs ........3-4 ml (liquid)
etc.

** Note: they don't start with caplets until you hit 25 lbs, and then it's only 1/2 to 1 caplet.  So, please ignore the guy who said to give 1 or 2 pills for your 6# dog
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Apoquel did wonders for Dorky Dog7, my 12 year old Papillon..  Harass your vet to see if your dog is a candidate for it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Try a different vet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top