Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 9:35:51 PM EDT
I can understand some cheap PSA barrels. What about the barrel on a stock Daniel Defense Mk18 upper? Can In just take off the muzzle device and add a new QD comp? Does it matter if you're using a 556 suppressor vs a .30 suppressor?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be gtg with a DD.  Just look through the bbl and check to make sure the suppressor hole appears concentric.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You're good with any high end brand (Knight's Armament, Noveske, Radians). You're probably good with a Daniel Defense barrel too. Any good rifle silencer (SilencerCo, Knight's, AAC, Surefire) will have a tapered EDM cut bore to minimize the likelihood of a baffle strike from deflection or slightly eccentric muzzle threads.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's a decent barrel it's fine. Still check it. Screw on the suppressor and look down the barrel. The human eye is a pretty good judge, honestly. I've never had a baffle strike and i've shot many thousands of rounds through various suppressors and various guns, and i've never had concentricity checked beyond what my eye is capable of.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Well a .30 would give you some room for error. Just check it over first.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
My YHM 10.5 works with a can.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I've only used my Form 1 suppressor direct mounted on Palmetto State Armory, Radical Firearms, and DPMS barrels. All .223. The baffles start at 0.265" and are 0.375" at the exit on an 8" long can. Of course I didn't have any of them concentrically rethreaded.

No baffle strikes.

I'll be poor right here, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Shot suppressed with Colt, Steyr, IWI, FNH, and Kel-Tec without rethreading.

overwhelming likelihood,  is that you will be fine. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Even my Radical barrel lined right up. Just eyeball it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can understand some cheap PSA barrels. What about the barrel on a stock Daniel Defense Mk18 upper? Can In just take off the muzzle device and add a new QD comp? Does it matter if you're using a 556 suppressor vs a .30 suppressor?
View Quote

Of course you realize that the threads on are different between most 556 and .30 cans.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I would certainly get a PSA or other budget barrel re-threaded.

But then I would never buy a budget barrel in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Never had a problem on any of the dozens of guns I've mounted cans to. 

Any barrel from a noveske, down to a PSA bargain bin.  Take a quick look with it mounted, you'll see if it's not lined up. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Thousands and thousands of rounds thru PSA freedoms and PTAC, even full auto thru form 1 cans.

Any reasonable manufacturer will have good threads. Don't overthink.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's a decent barrel it's fine. Still check it. Screw on the suppressor and look down the barrel. The human eye is a pretty good judge, honestly. I've never had a baffle strike and i've shot many thousands of rounds through various suppressors and various guns, and i've never had concentricity checked beyond what my eye is capable of.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I would certainly check it out don't want to mess up a perfectly good suppressor
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Have people had to rethread PSA barrels?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Of course you realize that the threads on are different between most 556 and .30 cans.
View Quote
Funny, my SF SOCOM 7.62 works great on my 5.56 rifles. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dumb.

Dial calipers will get you a pretty close check in about 10 seconds.  If that doesn't satisfy you put a pin in the barrel and spin it in a vee block with an indicator on the pin.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Ive had to have 2 barrels rethreaded

1 was a oly 45acp

The other a colt

always check, you dont need a special rod to do it either
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#21]
You can eyeball it by looking down the barrel. its obvious if something is misaligned and needs tweaked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#22]
My BCM 14.5" SOCOM barrel threads were perfect, and the YHM QD mount only needed to be pinned and welded by ADCO.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Buy a Suppressor Alignment Rod from Geissele, Surefire or any reputable manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Buy a Suppressor Alignment Rod from Geissele, Surefire or any reputable manufacturer.
View Quote
I found that one of my daughter's carbon arrow shafts were the perfect fit to check alignment and another only needed a single thickness of packing tape for a perfect fit. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ive had to have 2 barrels rethreaded

1 was a oly 45acp

The other a colt

always check, you dont need a special rod to do it either
View Quote
@taylorwso

What is your favorite method for checking?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#27]
After you've confirmed concentricity the other concerns are bullet stability (is the bbl long enough and have enough twist to stabilize the weight of projectile you want to shoot) and the can unscrewing under fire and causing a baffle strike.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@taylorwso
What is your favorite method for checking?
View Quote
shooting it

put on a upper, look down barrel, if you don't see two concentric "rings" at the end, it won't work.

the eye is a hell of a instrument.

I used to use a rod, but you can just look and tell, you only need a rod if you want to measure it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't check that shit
Honestly though a lot of my barrels are chopped and rethreaded anyways
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#30]
My BCM 11.5" barrel was GTG, as was my 1961-vintage TRW barrel on the M1A.

But I did make a visual check before shooting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#31]
get a dowel/rod that is straight (Check it for straightness with a straight edge) needs to be almost the same diameter of the barrel and fit fairly snugly.

Install the suppressor  and insert the rod carefully inspect with a flash light to see if you are getting any contact.

This is a fast and easy check

or this

Quoted:
Buy a Suppressor Alignment Rod from Geissele, Surefire or any reputable manufacturer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can eyeball it by looking down the barrel. its obvious if something is misaligned and needs tweaked.
View Quote
This. It's easy to see if it's off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I've shot HK, Colt, BCM, FN and PSA barrels through my silencers.  All were fine, I didn't even think about checking them first although I probably should have.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#34]
ITT everyone's concentricity is fine.

Two forums over "why do I have so much POI shift with my can?!"
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Anything from Ruger and it might not be a bad idea.

They must have hired the monkeys from CAI to thread their weapons.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
So my FN CHF chrome lined barrel from PSA is a budget barrel?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know what PSAs specs and tolerances are so I can't say.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I thought it was just AKs you needed to worry about this?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I had a baffle strike that required repairs.  Now, I am much more careful transferring any suppressor between rifles.  The barrel that caused the baffle strike was an 18" heavy barrel from a well known "high quality" barrel maker.  The suppressor had worked fine for many years with all other barrels.

Machining issues can happen as humans are involved.  I don't get bent out of shape about it, don't demand compensation.  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doesn't usually matter if they're QD cans.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dumb.

Dial calipers will get you a pretty close check in about 10 seconds.  If that doesn't satisfy you put a pin in the barrel and spin it in a vee block with an indicator on the pin.
View Quote
It would have to be a precision dowel pin with a press fit in the barrel for that to be accurate which would fuck up your bore.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#42]
First can is currently in ATF jail and I've had this same question.  

Is it fairly safe to assume that if I've run a 5.56 BattleComp without issue on both rifles for which I plan to use the suppressor, that I'll be OK?  Or, is the end of the BattleComp close enough to the muzzle that the barrel could still be off enough to cause a baffle strike further down the suppressor?

Both uppers are Spike's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally I would say that PSA intends to be a price leader. As to your specific barrel, you can call it what you want.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It would have to be a precision dowel pin with a press fit in the barrel for that to be accurate which would fuck up your bore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb.

That is simply not true, the pin can be slightly undersized and still do a perfectly good job without harming your bore.  Z class gage pins are dirt cheap (McMaster, $3.89/ea), 2" long and available in sizes by the half thousandth.  Buy a couple, use the best fit.

A 2" long pin 0.001" undersize and half way in the bore will only describe a 0.003" radius arc at 6" if it's cocked sideways.  Stick it in further and the numbers only get better.  Think about the way it work, it's basic geometry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top