Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/22/2017 8:54:35 PM EDT
Just got back from Kansas with my kids (20 & 24).  The eclipse was totally awesome, and was one of the highlights on my life.  Just wow.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Agree 100%
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
You should get our more lol
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Totality was awesome.  Partial eclipse was not really all that mind blowing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Was in Charlottesville for the eclipse. Got about 85% eclipse. Had cloud cover move through the area. Caused the clouds to 'glow' when looking through the glasses.

Amazing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't made it back home yet but agreed. Definitely an amazing experience. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I went in not expecting much and walked away amazed

Like a portal to another dimension opened up in the sky
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
We had an awesome view. No clouds.

The "diamond ring" was breathtaking.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agree 100%
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]
100% eclipse was 100% awesome

I already have my spot picked out for April 2024.

To all the boring fuddy dudds, please stay away from the next eclipse.

We don't need more traffic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
It was really amazing.  I knew what to expect, and it still blew me away almost 2 mins of totality where I was.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh, it got dark, the temp dropped a little, and there were some unique shadows.  Not really a life altering event.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#13]
It was pretty darn cool to see it from my front yard. 61 seconds of totality.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#14]
People were calling in on the local talk show today. Almost all said the same thing; "Religious experience, greatest thing I have ever seen". Same thing everyone around us said during totality. 

Those who "didn't give a fuck", or couldn't be bothered to travel 10 miles to be in 100%, well, your loss. And sick about hearing how it wasn't all that and "what was the big deal". 

We're booking a trip to Chile for the 19 one. And scoping out our spot for 24. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1

At 99.5%: "Pretty cool, but it still looks a lot like the sun"
At 100%: "Holy fucking shit what the fuck is that thing?!?!?  That looks like something out of The Fifth Element!"

Worth the 400 mile drive, even though some of those Eastern Oregon towns saw more traffic than they ever have before or ever will again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just got back from Kansas with my kids (20 & 24).  The eclipse was totally awesome, and was one of the highlights on my life.  Just wow.
View Quote

Drive 8 hours with son aged 33 to see it.  Totally worth it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Let me put this in some perspective.

I took my wife, 2 of the 3 sons and my 2 granddaughters to Hazard, Nebraska to view the eclipse.

The Granddaughters, ages 13 and 9, we mostly just playing around during the run up to totality. At the instant of totality, they stopped in their tracks and just stared, didn't say a word for a long  time. The little one, without taking her eyes off of it, whispered "This . . . .  is . . . . .  awesome".

Needless to say, they are already planning on the 2024 eclipse. The oldest one said she'd drive us there.

It truly is an awe-inspiring event. You will have no doubt that this universe was not some random, happenstance event, but was the result of "intelligent design".
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#18]
We went from an area with 36 sec of totality to an area that had 2:35.  It was worth it!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#19]
They Might Be Giants - Science is Real (official TMBG video)
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hope I'm not the only one who unlocked their gun safe "just in case".

Seriously though, I thought it was an amazing sight, and got a decent picture of the corona during totality, and a few crescent sun pictures using my phone and eclipse glasses.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in Charlottesville, VA, and ended up watching from South Carthage, TN. 2m33s of totality.

Google estimated that we'd get home by 9:30pm when we left - we didn't roll in until 6:30am the following morning. I got 90 minutes of sleep and went in to work.

It was worth it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Lucky bastards.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Home had 95%, grandpas in western Wyoming had 100% and well worth the 300 mile drive.
Wife had to work and took my kids.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#24]
The second it went 100% eclipsed I was blown away

Not sure what I was expecting, but it was so much more impressive than I ever imagined

I'm so thankful I got a chance to see it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Nothing everyone else hasn't already said. I lived at 2 mins and 36 seconds of totality. I never would have driven to see this. I habe seen pictures, big whoop right?

Holy fuck! That was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. I haven't seen a single picture that depicts the spectacle I saw. It was really something.

Before you jerks tell me to get out more, I'vee seen the pyramids at giza, the colosseum in Rome, the temple at Abu Simbel, scuba dived Cleopatra's palace in Alexandria, scuba dived The great barrier reef in Austrailia, climbed Mt. Vesuvious and on a visit to Pompeii. I've been some places

Do yourself a favor and see the one in 2024 if at all possible. You will not regret it
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I basically went down 2 days before with friends for a camping experience. "Okay eclipse, a reason to have some beer and hang out and camp, whoop tee doo"

After seeing it.... No picture can do it justice. I am still in awe. I cannot imagine how ancient people reacted and thought if they ever got a chance to see it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#28]
We drove 500 miles to get to the north side of Columbia, SC. We had a spot picked out and had unloaded our stools and goggles and I'd set up my ham radio to get on the air during the event. Then, a big cloud came up and parked over the top of where we were at. We made a command decision to throw our stuff back in the car and drive like crazy to where the (partial) sun was shining. Parked in a Kroger parking lot, re-set up everything, and got to see the 2 minutes of totality. It was simply incredible. I remember as a kid seeing a partial one. This one was fantastic.

I didn't much care for the traffic afterwards, though. Think of the traffic from a playoff game. Then extend it 200 miles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm seriously sick of hearing about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#30]
If that was a highlight of your life, well... I'm glad I don't live your life
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Having seen several partials, one annular, and now one total eclipse at 100% totality, i can say without a doubt in my mind....

Partials are neat...

Annulars are cool...

But total eclipses in 100% totality are fucking insane.

I looked at that shit, and even in 2017... with all of our technology and intelligence and knowledge of the event, I was awestruck. Literally speechless.

I finally said... "now i understand why the Incas and Aztecs used to sacrifice people over this shit".

It was straight out of a sci-fi movie.

And when the sun peaked out from behind as totality ended... that bright sunburst. WOW.

Definitely a top moment in my life. I feel blessed for living in the path and all i had to do was step out on my back porch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yet you click on the thread and post about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I drove 5 hours out, and 12 hours back, with my 2 boys, 5 and 8.

It was unbelievable. I knew exactally what to expect, but when totality hit, my jaw dropped. The first thought through my mind, was , what. the. helll. Is. that. thing? Portal to another dimension pretty much nails it.

Then 360 degree sunset was quite awe inspiring as well.

Not one single picture I have ever seen of a total eclipse even remotely does justice to seeing it in person. I feel very fortunate that it was a moment I got to share with my kids, and if anything, inspires a small sense of awe of the universe in them.

It was really something else. Anyone who thinks "meh" clearly didn't see it in its full effect.

I'll try my best to be in Mexico for the next one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm glad I lived in the path of totality. I never would have driven to see it.

Of course, now I'm planning on making the drive to see the next one.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. Like the alien sun in David Bowie's "Blackstar"...

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same.  Spent the weekend backpacking the AT and ended up at Lake Chatuge for the event. Truly incredible.

Just got home tonight, we went white water rafting today in the Nantahala.  Talk about awesome weekend
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You should get our more lol
View Quote
Danner don't listen to this guy.

It was easily one of the most amazing experiences in my life, right behind that Easter Sunday in a bathroom stall at church after giving my life to the Lord.  God is good.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are a joyless husk of a person.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah because I'm sure your sweet weekend with the ski boat is just a once in a lifetime thing! 

Given that everyone, and I do mean everyone who saw totality was amazed by it maybe the boring guy is you..... 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I basically went down 2 days before with friends for a camping experience. "Okay eclipse, a reason to have some beer and hang out and camp, whoop tee doo"

After seeing it.... No picture can do it justice. I am still in awe. I cannot imagine how ancient people reacted and thought if they ever got a chance to see it.
View Quote
Same here. 11 hour road trip to TN, camping with a friend (with benefits LOL), drinkings, then: mind blown by the totality. Pure sci fi. Did anyone else get the all-around pink horizon, like there was a 360 degree sunset?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I thought it was awesome.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I was at one of the best locations in the country (Corvallis, OR), and honestly didn't expect much or get all of the hoop-la. That said, I agree with OP. It was pretty jaw-dropping in that quick moment when it went from 99.9 to 100% totality.

Anyone who viewed less than totality, I get the "meh" sentiment. I feel pretty blessed to have seen this – it was an extremely cool thing to see.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I enjoyed watching it immensely!
But I Swear-to-God the next person that uses 'awesome' as an adjective to describe it in front of me is really gonna be sorry.... 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#45]
One of the greatest things I've ever seen in my life.  It still kind of feels like a dream, mostly because I was fiddling with my camera while watching.  We had 2min 32sec and it only seemed like 20-30 at most.  The 360 sunrise was so stunning I was looking at it mostly, made more spectacular by clouds on every horizon.  Still feels like a dream.  I remember the light taking on a slight purple hue, my kids screaming, me looking every now and then, some roofers sawing the entire time during the event, almost blinding once the moon crossed over...

It almost looked, and I hesitate to say this, evil in a way.  I can totally see how ancient cultures would go nuts over this.

Did anyone see the corona/flares moving?  I can't remember if they did or not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

So sick of it that you clicked on a thread titled "The Eclipse Was Awesome", read the post, and then took the time to tell us all how you are seriously sick of hearing about it.  

See the irony there?  I hope so.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Rented a cabin in Unicoi State Park with my wife, son (12) and daughter (15) we had 1:50 minutes of totality, no clouds.  While it was not a religious experience it was an experience I will remember for the rest of my days and I know my children will tell their children about it.

I feel sorry for all of the basement dwelling curmudgeons on here who could not be bothered to go see one of our planet's unique natural wonders with their families.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Took the day off work, woke up and drove 3.5 hours with my wife for just shy of 2 minutes of totality. The 8 hours or so we spent traveling was worth it 10 fold. Won't have to drive as far for the 2024 eclipse but already told work I'll be taking that day off too. It is one of those things you simply cannot describe. It should be on everyone's bucket list to see totality once.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He just wanted to let everyone know he doesn't enjoy that so many looked at a world event and took some sort of joy or awe from it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top