Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 4:42:12 PM EDT
On Friday night, two patrolmen with JSO responded to a call of a man with an AR threatening to kill himself. Once they arrived at the scene along with other officers, the call had changed to the suicidal man threatening his family members inside the home. Officers Mike Fox and Kevin Jarrell were at the front door when they heard an AR-15 fire once. They kicked in the door and exchanged fire with the man. Both officers were shot, but the threat was eliminated.

Both officers are friends of the Second Amendment and the kinds of people we want in uniform. I have known them both for quite a while. Fox was an usher in my wedding just three weeks ago--he woke up early to be in my wedding and then changed and went on duty. Both started their careers as courtroom bailiffs and have excellent approaches to the legal issues they face on the street. They both work midnight shift on Jacksonville's Westside. I believe this is Jarrell's first shooting, but it is Fox's second. Fox shoots IDPA, GSSF, and our local two-gun called Florida Defensive Carbine Club. Jarrell and his wife recently had a baby.

Kevin Jarrell was struck in the stomach below his vest and Mike Fox was struck in his left hand with fragmentation going into his right hand (see picture below). Both are in recovery and should be just fine. However, no one knows how long the road will be or if they can return to duty. To that end, in conjunction with the local FOP, a few officers started a Go Fund Me for each of them to cover various expenses they will and are facing. I spoke with Striker, and he approved this thread and for me to provide the links below.

As as side note, Fox was carrying a newly issued G17 gen 4 (he told me he had all of 60 rounds through it before this as it was issued 4 days prior) with his personal X-300. The X-300 was obviously shot off, but other officers found it on the ground and on. The top end of it was torn off from the .223, but the darn thing was still on. A picture of that was taken and sent to Surefire, of course.

Link to article.

Go Fund Me for Mike Fox.

Go Fund Me for Kevin Jarrell.

Fox's gun:

Attachment Attached File

We have lots of threads where cops do bad or questionable things, but these guys had no doubts they were going to get shot at and walked into it anyway because innocent lives were at stake. Having known them for a long time and having been on an untold number of ride alongs with them, I know they make decisions like this a lot. The vast majority of the time no one gets hurt so no one ever really hears the story. Other than the lives saved, one good thing is that people will hear this story.

I will be going to see Fox tonight at the hospital after work. If Jarrell is up to it, I'll be talking to him, too.

ETA: Mike Fox is doing well and says hi. He is an arfcommer, by the way. He is very appreciative of the kind words and thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Prayers for the 2 officers
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#4]
To the top. Glad they're on the road to recovery.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have looked at several news articles, but nothing on the shooter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
he's dead...all we need to know.
View Quote
Amen, brother.  That's the best kind of crook.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump for the just got off work crew.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Prayers out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Best wishes for both officers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump for the night crew.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Going into a domestic situation where the agitator is armed with an AR15? With just handguns? Those officers have balls of blue steel!

Best wishes to both of them. I hope they both make full recoveries.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Another bump for a worthy cause.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:56:44 AM EDT
[#14]
To the top.

Get well, heal well.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:12:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Bump for the day crew.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Bump
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going into a domestic situation where the agitator is armed with an AR15? With just handguns? Those officers have balls of blue steel!

Best wishes to both of them. I hope they both make full recoveries.
View Quote
To clarify, Mike Fox went in with a G17, but Kevin Jarrell did use his carbine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Prayers and a mid morning bump.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Bumpity bump. Get paid tomorrow going to donate then. My FIL is JSO and works that area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top