Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/22/2017 4:32:00 PM EDT
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.  I searched for "Verizon".

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/22/16181362/verizon-new-unlimited-data-plan-video-throttling-net-neutrality

Well, now we know why Verizon Wireless was “testing” reduced Netflix streaming speeds last month. Today the biggest US carrier announced that its existing unlimited data plan is being divided into three new options: Go Unlimited (starting at $75 for a single line), Beyond Unlimited ($85 for first line), and Business Unlimited. Unlike the relatively straightforward unlimited plan that Verizon surprised customers with in February, these new monthly plans are chock-full of fine print and caveats. And in a move sure to anger net neutrality advocates, the regular “Go Unlimited” plan throttles all smartphone video streaming to 480p / DVD-quality. The new plans go into effect beginning tomorrow, August 23rd, so this change is happening fast. Existing postpaid customers can keep their current plan, but some things will change even for them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm still on the old unlimited plan from the 3G days, and hadn't yet made it around to signing on for the new plan. This doesn't make me any more enthusiastic to dump the old one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still on the old unlimited plan from the 3G days.
View Quote
I was still on my 2004 Alltel Unlimited Blackberry plan until about a month ago.  We decided to switch to the new Unlimited plan as it was going to save us $90/mo to go with it and have been happy so far.  I am glad we jumped on it when we did.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess its time to go back to a dumb phone, and cut my bill in half (spending that half on far superior ComCast Cable internet).

Thanks, Verizon.

ETA:
Quoted:
I'm still on the old unlimited plan from the 3G days, and hadn't yet made it around to signing on for the new plan. This doesn't make me any more enthusiastic to dump the old one.
View Quote
I'm in this boat, so I'm not nearly as fucked over as the new "unlimited" plans.

Pro Tip: If your "unlimited" plan has limits, it isn't "unlimited".
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Coming to an ISP near you!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Verizon picks up in areas T mobile doesn't but video is much slower after throttling than T mobile but T mobile overbilled me so
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here. I haven't been on a contract for at least 5 years. I guess that will stay the same.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll take lower quality Netflix for a cheaper bill all day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Wonder what ATT has planned

If TMO had better reception here I'd switch to them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll take lower quality Netflix for a cheaper bill all day.
View Quote
Fuuuuuuck that. Have you seen 480p?  Might as well have about 3 pixels some something the size of a smart phone.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I got fucked. I was on an unlimited plan, from when I had alltel and they told me if I didn't chose a new plan, my service would be canceled effective like Feb 11th or some shit. I went from unlimited data, to 2 fucking gigs a month for like 50 bucks less.. I am so pissed that some people had to ruin it for us all, because they were using like 200 gigs a month.

How did you manage to keep yours? Did you not get a letter?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fuuuuuuck that. Have you seen 480p?  Might as well have about 3 pixels some something the size of a smart phone.
View Quote
I guess everybody has their priorities, but clear Netflix or a cheaper monthly bill? I'll take the cheaper monthly bill.

ETA: I have ATT, so I'm not getting fucked on this one. I'll be standing by to see how bad ATT bends people over...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Change carrier if you don't lime the it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I guess its time to go back to a dumb phone, and cut my bill in half (spending that half on far superior ComCast Cable internet).

Thanks, Verizon.

ETA:
I'm in this boat, so I'm not nearly as fucked over as the new "unlimited" plans.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, Verizon.

ETA:
Quoted:

"Unlimited " plan.  How these guys haven't been sued is beyond me. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuck Verizon and the crap customer service.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]
As a former Verizon customer who grew tired of their bullshit, this does not surprise me at all.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
AT&T rep says to me within 30 decks seconds entering store "were expensive" ask what that means,he says $150 and I pay $125 for T mobile so I left
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As a former Verizon customer who grew tired of their bullshit, this does not surprise me at all.
View Quote
yep same here fuck big red, went to at&t after 14 years on Verizon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Whoever came up with their service names needs to look for a new line of work.  "So how unlimited do you want your data?"  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep, saw that on Slickdeals.  Today's the last day you can still get a "good" plan.

Hopefully it's not a surprise to anyone.  A lot of people saw this coming when everyone started doing "unlimited plans" again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fuck Verizon and the crap customer service.
View Quote
Haven't dealt with ATT or Sprint yet, I see.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I downgraded my Sprint unlimited to the $30.00 2 GB Entry plan. Still have not passed 1 GB a month. I'm always connected to wifi and don't use too much data unless I go into wifi covered areas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#23]
my unlimited untethered $50/month plan after taxes is still going strong.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#24]
If you have Comcast internet then check out Comcast Mobile. They have two plans...$12/gig pay as you go or $45/mo unlimited. No line access fees for either. The great part is they use the Verizon network so coverage is excellent. We literally cut our bill by half and our coverage is the exact same as when we were with Verizon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
my unlimited untethered $50/month plan after taxes is still going strong.
View Quote
Grandfathered?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually, it's already here. I work for a major isp, and engineers regularly feed routers with 1Gb in, and multiple 1Gb service feeds out. Same when it's a 10Gb in, multiple 10Gb + 1Gb circuits feed out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Man, my unlimited business plan is unlimited data, calling to anywhere in the world and text for $33 a month. It's $40 if I want to tether, $60 for unlimited international and $70 for international unlimited tethering. Works well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks, Verizon.

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, Verizon.

ETA:
Quoted:

Hell, going from Verizon to Comcast is like a democrat crossing the isle to become GOPe.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Totally dumped Verizon and couldn't be happier !
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Where are you? TMOs coverage for LTE has drastically expanded if you're not covered now you will likely be covered soon. I'm getting TMO coverage up here in the mountains where no one used to get shit just 2 months ago, even Verizon.

Coverage Map
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Haven't dealt with ATT or Sprint yet, I see.

View Quote
Sprint is the whole reason I went to Verizon in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hell, going from Verizon to Comcast is like a democrat crossing the isle to become GOPe.
View Quote
I don't feel any better about it.

But I can get 25 down for about half as much as my current wireless bill, with TV bundled with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't feel any better about it.

But I can get 25 down for about half as much as my current wireless bill, with TV bundled with it.
View Quote
I've been with Verizon for over a decade.  Somehow I pay $100 no matter how many discounts or changed plans I do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've been with Verizon for over a decade.  Somehow I pay $100 no matter how many discounts or changed plans I do.
View Quote
According to the Sprint love letter posted above, its only about 7 years for me. I pay around $120.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#36]
All these companies have everyone by the balls.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I wonder if I should switch quick from the 5gb plan I'm on. Been considering the unlimited plan since I just about max out data every month.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Where are you? TMOs coverage for LTE has drastically expanded if you're not covered now you will likely be covered soon. I'm getting TMO coverage up here in the mountains where no one used to get shit just 2 months ago, even Verizon.

Coverage Map
View Quote
Here in KS, it's still shit as fuck.  The only one with good coverage is VZW.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Coverage Map
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coverage Map
I'm tired of Verizon the Phone Shark.  I've been with Verizon since they were Cellular One in the 1990's.  Loyalty doesn't mean shit to The Phone Mafia especially Verizon.
When my G6 is paid for I'm off to TMO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I coughed up ~$450 for a new Samsung S8 last weekend.  Costco currently has a $300 rebate for buying a new S8 in one of their stores.  Works great. 
FoxFi, the standard tethering app, does not work on the S8.  Verizon-Samsung want you to use their built-in tethering app so they can control your usage. 

A few months ago, I moved everyone in the family to the newer 2017 unlimited plans.  I hope they don't dump those plans. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coverage Map
Same here, T-Mobile user for years, but their coverage sucks ass unless you're in a bigger city.

I want to blow them off and bundle everything I've got (current directv user, but everyone says att phone sucks worse than T-Mobile , I've got shitty fucking spectrum internet and att internet blows as well according to my kid who had it for a minute
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#42]
What did you expect. All these cord cutters still need high speed data to see things. In typical Verizon fashion they over promise and under deliver. They sell all these unlimited plans then wake up one day and see they can't support what they have sold. Same with their DSL service back in the day. They have to play the marketing game to maintain market share even if they can't support it. When they lose enough customers and can handle the load again a new marketing plan will appear.
The wheel goes round and round.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I am still on a Walmart family mobile plan for $35 mo, runs t mobile and no issues.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Lol Cricket I selling two lines similarly throttled for $80
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#45]
They pissed me off when thier international service started throttling back at 512mb data used to almost unusable speed. I used to be able to use my normal plan virtually anywhere I traveled for 2-10 bucks a day depending on the country
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah this is going to fuck me. We went to unlimited and use our phones as hotspots, it's currently our sole internet at our house. Live in the country and only have DSL out here, the hotspots work for everything we need internet for. Guess I'll see when I try to use Netflix on the TV today
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Mobile data 'power users' have to be some of the most entitled motherfuckers on the planet. I know people who stream non stop, watch HD video as their primary source of entertainment/movies/etc.. and want to complain about $100/mo. I wish these providers would stop fucking around and just sell a real unlimited plan for these fuckwads for like $250/mo and give the rest of us low bandwidth users a break.

ETA: Turns out the guy above me is one of them. Good luck guy above me, providers are getting sick of your shit. Maybe there's some all you can eat chinese buffets you can hit up for dinner for the month, save some cash and buy some bandwidth.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Lol now I know why the Verizon girl was trying to talk me out of the unlimited plan today when I was ordering two new phones on my small business plan.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yeah this is going to fuck me. We went to unlimited and use our phones as hotspots, it's currently our sole internet at our house. Live in the country and only have DSL out here, the hotspots work for everything we need internet for. Guess I'll see when I try to use Netflix on the TV today
View Quote
So you're the asshole who ruined it for everyone.  Good job.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top