Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2001 7:47:24 PM EDT
I'm considering an addition to my hunting rifle collection.  (Next will be one of the new "short magnums")  Please rate the above based on your experiences:

Because this will be a hunting rifle.  Dependability should come before Accuracy.  I own 3 A-bolts already (7mmMag, 7mm08 MicroHunter - a tack driver out of the box by the way, and a .270), and have yet to be impressed by the Model70 or the 700.  However, I'm keeping an open mind.  Better yet, why should I not buy another Browning.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
How about a Sako or a Tikka or even a Savage or Ruger ..
or a customized Mauser ?
If the rifle is going to be used for dangerous game..then get something with a claw-hammer extractor such as a Mauser or Winchester. Otherwise a Remington will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Cant say one way or the other about the others,
But the Rem 700 is definitely worth the money.

The Savage is also a Great buy. But not as nicely made. But then, it's half the price.

Good luck either way.

Delmarksman
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Gun Tests magazine did a three-way test last year on the Savage, Winchester, Remington, 270 rifles and the Savage came out on top due to its superb accuracy. I bought a Savage in 243 for varmints and a Winchester in 220 Swift for my son. They are without a doubt two really great rifles for about $100 less than Remington and probably a whole lot less than Browning. The accuracy is superb in both but the triggers suck and I had to have them reworked.
A close friend has a Browing BAR and I borrow it as often as he will part with it. I absolutely love that gun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a Remington enthusiast, but, if you've got 3 Brownings already, get another Browning!
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anybody know how the SIG SHR rifles compare to these.  Company line says 1" MOA.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got back from the range where I started to break in the barrel on a new Win Model 70 (Stealth) in .223  15 rounds fired, a  lot of cleaning.  Using the cheapest ammo I could find, whis was Ultramax 55gr FMJ at $9.99/50 I had 14 rounds in one fuzzy hole about 1" across, and one flyer.  Pretty good for being out of the box.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am a Remington enthusiast, but, if you've got 3 Brownings already, get another Browning!
View Quote

I am not a Remington enthusiast, but I agree 100%.  If you are familiar with the platform and have had good luck with them why not get another?
I have an A-bolt II in 7 mm mag and I believe it is the best factory rifle I have ever shot, I just happen to be the lucky owner.  The best I have done with it is 1/3" @100 yards with handloads.  That is on the second setting I have tried on the BOSS and have not had and a chance to fool with it since.  I believe the rifle can do better. Whatever you choose good luck.

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
personally i trust the remington 700..i have two of them and they blow the thumbtacks off at 100 with a 9 power scope..i prefer a low caliber moving at high speed if you arent going to hunt for the antlers of a large deer 300+ lbs then i would reccomend what i have ..remington 700 adl in 22-250 with ballistic loads..you can take easy head shots at 250 but it will drop them with its velocity not the size.the second choice if you want to spend more money would be the nicer and way more accurat remington 700 vss in a 308, 243, 22-250, or a 223..these are highly tuned machines running $650..the regular synthetic adl can be bought wholesale for about 350
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
[img]C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\TOD\My Documents\IMAGE033.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with Savage! Just as good, if not better, than the three you mentioned, and at a much lower price (generally).
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a Browning A-bolt in .270 and I love it dearly trigger is clean and it shoots sub MOA, I also have a Savage Heavy bbl. in .223 for the money it simply can't be beat, and it'll shoot 1/2" groups at 200yds. on my better days, then there is my Winchester M70 Heavy Varmint in .308 (push feed action) it's my favorite accuracy set up, good trigger dependable rifle.  I also have a M70 claw extractor in .270 Weatherby Mag it is by far the prettiest of all the rifles I mentioned, it is not a tack driver however, now that's not to say it won't kill and elk at 400yds but you have a pretty good size target on an elk, and that's all I've used it for, also on bullets designed for optimum performance on big game tend to give up a little in the accuracy department.  If the rifle is going to be used for hunting big game then any of the rifles mentioned will do the job, and I'd recommend the M70 with controlled round feed.  To me there's still some mystique to "The Rifleman's Rifle".
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Take a look at the Steyr SBS Prohunter or Forester.

I've got one in .308 and best 5 shot group at 100yrds is .38".

I have owned Remingtons and Winchesters mod. 70's pre-64, and Ruger 77 MkII's.

My brother has an A-bolt in 30-06 and it can match my steyr but the winchester and Remington don't compare.

I have never fired the Remington PSS so I dont know how it compares.

If you are dead set on the three you describe, go with the Browning.

But don't skip over the Steyr.

When you say accuracy isn't the main thing, think again!

Before my Steyr I owned a ruger 77 Mk II in 30.06 with a 6-18x50 Bushnell scope, and the best 100 yrd shot was 2".
I thought it was just me until i bought an AR-15 HBAR (R6600) and got 1.5" at 100 yrds with open sights.  I then realized it was the rifle not me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I have Model 70 and am perfectly pleased with it.  Without any upgrades and with factory loads, it gets 0.5" groups.

I like the clawed extractor, which can come in handy when you have buck-fever.  You can not short stroke and have two shells trying to get into the chamber as is possible with other rifles.  Also, I have been in situations where other hunters have had their Remingtons and similar rifles fail to extract, but I think that is less likely with the Model 70.  It grabs more of the case.  My uncle had this happen last year during a once in a lifetime hunt with his Weatherby.

Also, if you want a nice looking and functional wood stock, the LT and Featherweight are, IMHO, the two finest available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top