Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/22/2017 3:50:38 PM EDT
At intersection when the guy yielded to a police officer. He was driving along with the green light. Saw the cop, he stops, the driver next to him stops. The cop starts proceeding through the intersection when next thing the guy knows hes being launched into the intersection by a city bus.

Said guy takes an ambulance ride to make sure back is all good. Back is mostly good and did some rehab.

Now the city is wanting to close the deal and is asking said guy what he wants to go away.

What does said guy ask for?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask for 3 mil. Settle for 1.5 mil
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
What does his lawyer say?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Said guy also has a conscious and doesn't want to fuck them
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What does his lawyer say?
View Quote
Nothing.

Yet

Said guy hopes it doesn't come to that
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Cost of damage to car, medical/rehab costs, any time missed from work?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
All I got when I was hit by a bus was a totaled truck and a fear of buses
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nothing.

Yet

Said guy hopes it doesn't come to that
View Quote
Said guy will need one when the city tries to fuck him out of what is reasonable
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]
100,000,000 Ngultrum
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
8K to car

9K medical

No missed work
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever it takes to be made whole, plus driver of bus barred from public employment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Said guy will need one when the city tries to fuck him out of what is reasonable
View Quote
Said guy isn't afraid to hire ambulance chasing lawyers if they decide to dick around
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's good and all, but the city isn't going to have a conscious
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Whatever it takes to be made whole, plus driver of bus barred from public employment.
View Quote
If you only knew how hard it was to fire a .gov employee
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure,

But 1 Mil sounds pretty crazy to me.

Said guy is mostly fine, but he worries about potential issues cropping up down the road
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sure,

View Quote
After lawyer fees and paying off the medical bills and buying a new vehicle you won't have much left of it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

After lawyer fees and paying off the medical bills and buying a new vehicle you won't have much left of it.
View Quote
That's why said guy doesn't want a lawyer involved.

Bills they'll take care of. Car is fixed, albeit devalued and now the fucking trunk leaks a little but said guy said he doesn't want to go into that.

Said guy doesn't really know what a reasonable amount would be
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#18]
$100k  

Future medical bills

new vehicle
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

8K to car

9K medical

No missed work
View Quote
Does said guy want more than that?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Ask for more than what it seems like you need

Car crashes can cause injuries that don't surface for quite a while, best to have it (gun, cash) and not need it....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#21]
$125,000 settlement check and expenses.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Reach around and an Applebees gift card.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Extent of injuries?

Any permanent impairment?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Does said guy want more than that?
View Quote
Said guy feels he should receive some sort of an amount for a few different reasons

Most importantly future surgeries that maybe needed or just plain pain and suffering that may show up.

Also the city should be reminded to hire better help that wont hit traffic yielding to a police vehicle rushing to the scene of where a child got hit by a car
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#25]
50k cash, all my medical bills, and no property taxes on my home for the rest of my life.

I'm easy. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Extent of injuries?

Any permanent impairment?
View Quote
Nothing permanent it seems. But I do hear that these things can take years to crop up.

Nothing showed up on x rays and said guy went to rehab for a few months
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Said guy would be a fucking retarded moron.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
50k cash, all my medical bills, and no property taxes on my home for the rest of my life.

I'm easy. 
View Quote
Said guy was thinking 50K might be the number, but he wasn't sure.

He also doesn't expect to get 50K but needs a starting numner
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Get a lawyer and ask em.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Said guy actually isn't the smartest
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sure,

Said guy is mostly fine, but he worries about potential issues cropping up down the road
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure,

My little sister got hit by a car.

Dude was looking at house numbers, lost, and my little sister was stupid and ran out into the road.

He was very upset and sorry. A legal agreement was signed where he (or his insurance) paid for the hospital bills (not much, she wasn't badly hurt) and would also pay for any future problems related to the injury. Which never happened.

Everybody felt this was fair.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. Said guy should go for the throat. This type of payout can turn semi-auto RPDs into full auto RPDs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is that 50k total, including medical and repair or is that in addition to?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is that 50k total, including medical and repair or is that in addition to?
View Quote
In addition to,

But honestly said guy would be cool with just $50K and paying for the bills himself.

Said guy doesn't think hell get $50K

Said guy honestly isn't looking for a payout, but wants some income to set back just in case there is a issue, and also the city shouldn't of hit said guy with a fucking bus
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#35]
a guy got hit by a city bus
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Bills they'll take care of. Car is fixed, albeit devalued and now the fucking trunk leaks a little but said guy said he doesn't want to go into that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look. Everyone is trying to tell you to handle this through a lawyer for a reason. The lawyer will be there to help you navigate the proceedings with YOUR best interests in mind, not the city's. The city already has lawyers who for sure will NOT be operating with your interests in mind, other than to see how little they have to fork over so they can lock you into some sort of quick and final settlement to make you go away.

You are a young dude, and have no idea whether the accident will result in aches and pains that show up later in life, after you are not so young, healthy, and strong. It does happen. You may settle for hospital bills being paid now, but who will pay them later when you are trying to track down / repair neck or back pain that the doc says stems from some earlier injury that was never addressed properly? It is foolish to allow your future quality of life to be potentially diminished because you were too quick to take the time you needed to pursue a proper settlement.

Plus your car may take a while to show areas that need repair, just like you are finding out with you now-evident trunk leak. There may be more bit that you discover that are now not right with your vehicle as well.

Good luck.

Edited because typo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd also hold out for any medical expenses arising from the incident, and the property tax exemption.

Never sign an agreement or cash a check without an attorney's blessing. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Look. Everyone is trying to tell you to handle this through a lawyer for a reason. The lawyer will be there to help you navigate the proceedings with YOUR best interests in mind, not the city's. The city already has lawyers who for sure will NOT be operating with your interests in mind, other than to see how little they have to fork over so they can lock you into some sort of quick and final settlement to make you go away.

You are a young dude, and have no idea whether the accident will result in aches and pains that show up later in life, after you are not so young, healthy, and strong. It does happen. You may settle for hospital bills being paid now, but who will pay them later when you are trying to track down / repair neck or back pain that the doc says stems from some earlier injury that was never addressed properly? It is foolish to allow your future quality of life to be potentially diminished because you were to quick to take the time you needed to pursue a proper settlement.

Plus your car may take a while to show areas that need repair, just like you are finding out with you now-evident trunk leak. There may be more bit that you discover that are now not right with your vehicle as well.

Good luck.
View Quote
Said guy does understand

Said guy just really doesn't want to deal with the drama, but will if they jack around.

Said guy just needs a number figure to roll with to see if the city will play out of court, or not. If not said guy has plenty of saved mail from attorneys.

This is all a year in the works as is. Way said guy understand is theres still 1 year left to contact a lawyer and that's why said guy is starting to move forward with this.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm pretty sure I answered this in a very slightly different thread.
Oh, well.
Don't settle for any amount of money.
Rather, make SURE you are WELL before you allow them to close this claim. YOU are in no rush.
Guessing what it might cost to make you well/keep you well is a crap shoot.
You don't need to gamble.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Plus any future lost work due to medical/rehab... and a little extra for unforeseen medical complications that could occur down the road as a direct result.  Oh and make sure everything is adjusted to account for the increasing cost of medical care and the hyper inflation that is beginning to really hit.

3 mill. won't sound like much in a few years when 3 mill can only buy what 500,000 could buy now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#41]
What city/county?

Some jurisdictions are more liberal in insurance claim evaluations than others.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#42]
In for pics of new KAC SBR.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#43]
FPNI.

I have a friend who tried to have a conscience when dealing with the city over an injury they were responsible for. They ended up paying his medical and the lawyer took the lions share of the tiny settlement for pain and suffering. He couldn't tell me the full amount because of the terms of the settlement, but from what I gathered it was more than 60k and less than 80k. And he lives with a permanent physical disfigurement. He got raked overt he coals, IMO. Don't be like him. Fuck the city as hard as you can.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I feel like i should add this, since i forgot with my other post.

From Philly suburbs and I've been told that SEPTA (public transit), would give out $10k to each passenger on their buses in the event of accidents, because they didn't feel like dealing with court. They have stopped doing this however, because people would just hop on the bus after accidents looking for a payday.

If the company is big enough they'll just pay you to go away pretty quickly, but I'd lawyer up for this.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Said guy actually isn't the smartest
View Quote
We know.  He keeps using "said guy" when referring to himself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What city/county?

Some jurisdictions are more liberal in insurance claim evaluations than others.
View Quote
Said guy will leave that out for now. I would say this is a more conservative area for that though.

Then again said guy tapped a persons bumper once and they got 10K to go away. Literally tapped too, it barely scuffed the paint
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We know.  He keeps using "said guy" when referring to himself.
View Quote
OPs asking for a friend
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Said guy does understand

Said guy just really doesn't want to deal with the drama, but will if they jack around.

Said guy just needs a number figure to roll with to see if the city will play out of court, or not. If not said guy has plenty of saved mail from attorneys.

This is all a year in the works as is. Way said guy understand is theres still 1 year left to contact a lawyer and that's why said guy is starting to move forward with this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a young dude, and have no idea whether the accident will result in aches and pains that show up later in life, after you are not so young, healthy, and strong. It does happen. You may settle for hospital bills being paid now, but who will pay them later when you are trying to track down / repair neck or back pain that the doc says stems from some earlier injury that was never addressed properly? It is foolish to allow your future quality of life to be potentially diminished because you were to quick to take the time you needed to pursue a proper settlement.

Good luck.
Said guy does understand

Said guy is a terrible negotiator

Hire an attorney, no less than $400/ hr, from a large firm. Let him find the number.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
So said guy thinks it's better to fuck his family and himself?  

Said guy will have back/ neck pain for the remainder of his life.  Fuck Them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Good luck.
View Quote
Indeed. The City's attorney will be the one drawing up the settlement papers if he doesn't have his own attorney. 

That settlement will no doubt release the city from all future liability stemming from the incident. If he finds that he is actually injured after signing...too fuckin' bad. He signed a release of liability in the settlement. If he incurrs half a million dollars in medical bills... too fuckin' bad. He signed a release of liability in the settlement.

Unless the guy has a law degree, he needs an attorney to insure the city's attorney doesn't incorporate liability release language into whatever he has to sign to get his settlement. Even cashing a check offered to him by the city could be construed as 'payment in full' for their liability. 

Tell the magnanimous half-wit to fuckin' Lawyer Up. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top