Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2017 8:50:29 AM EDT
Link

The NYPD brass who were booted off a flight to Afghanistan for being too drunk humiliated their department and wasted hundreds of man hours used to set up the training mission, an organizer raged in a letter to Counter-terrorism Chief James Waters.

“You and your team embarrassed the job, wasted tax payers’ money and embarrassed our NYPD Brethren,” fumed the letter-writer, a former Big Apple cop who is now a Defense Department contractor.

“I have been approached by both Coalition Personnel and also Americans laughing and asking how can this behavior happen from some of the highest ranking Officers that NYPD has.”

Waters was headed to Kabul with Lt. Chris Zimmerman, commander of the hostage negotiation team, along with four other top police officers to teach counter-terrorism tactics to soldiers.

But they spent a flight delay drinking at Baltimore-Washington International Airport on Aug. 10, and had to abandon the trip altogether when crew on their military charter decided at least two of the officers were too wasted to fly, police sources said.

The top cops were only taking on a military plane in the first place because they insisted on bringing their own firearms — even though the FBI and military were happy to lend them weapons once they got there, the letter writer said.

“Your delay and continued delay of this the trip just so you could get your own firearms into theater contributed to more wasted man hours and tax payers’ money,” wrote the ex-officer, who asked The Post withhold his identity.
View Quote
“To me it seems like it was amateur hour for your team and it was obvious that there was no leadership … you could not control your team's urge to drink to excess,” the letter said.

The jaunt was little more than a thrill-seeking “adventure tour” photo-op set up by a four-star general who is pals with Waters anyway, the retired cop claimed.

“This was just a line on your resume for your next job ‘We went to Afghanistan to win the war,’” he berated Waters.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
That's saying something to be booted from a military flight for being too drunk.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#2]
So NYPD brass (as in senior leadership?) planned to go to Afghanistan to "teach" soldiers how to fight?

Yea, who thought that was a good idea?

While we're at it, let's have the CAP head to Diego Garcia to teach B2 pilots how to fly.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if they drove  back home afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So NYPD brass (as in senior leadership?) planned to go to Afghanistan to "teach" soldiers how to fight?

Yea, who thought that was a good idea?
View Quote
We Po-Leece Action Naow
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Counterterrorism Chief James Waters speaks at the press conference
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Lt. Chris Zimmerman, commander of the hostage negotiation team.

The elite cops, who were scheduled to be in the country for a week, included: Chief of Counterterrorism James Waters; Lt. Chris Zimmerman, commander of the hostage negotiation team; Deputy Chief Scott Shanley, head of the department’s Critical Response Command, and Counterterrorism Capt. Daniel Magee.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
he's just pissed that the NYPD cops called the soldiers "civilians."
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Deputy Chief Scott Shanley, head of the department’s Critical Response Command
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#9]
The group returned to the city, and they are planning a make-up trip for October.  

'Look, no one feels good about it, but they are still going to do it probably in October,' a police official said.
View Quote
A police spokesman, Deputy Commissioner Stephen Davis, said the department is looking into the incident.  
View Quote
'I am aware of no misconduct that occurred,' said Roy Richter, president of the NYPD Captains Endowment Association. 'This was a training operation that has been delayed and will be rescheduled sometime in the future.'
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#10]
LOL
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Noo Yauk's Finesst.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow. That guy didn't pull any punches.

Also, if the facts are as presented, he's 100% right. What a fucking embarrassment to the entire country.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow. That guy didn't pull any punches.

Also, if the facts are as presented, he's 100% right. What a fucking embarrassment to the entire country.
View Quote
Worst part is the drunk cops argued with the military aircrew on the plane. (don't you know who we are).

Aircrew told them they were too drunk to fly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Tsk tsk.  They need to be better trained.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#15]
As a contractor....that's the kinda shit you draft up and let your customer send.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#16]
So NYPD was going to teach the Army how to shoot tons of bystanders while carrying guns with ridiculous trigger pull?  

I guess a trip to the MOUT course to "teach the soldiers" wouldn't look as good on the resume.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Muh heroes
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Why would a hostage negotiator need to go to Afg?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Brass always has the best ideas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Drunk cops?  I'm shocked.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#21]
They must have been completely fall down on the verge of passing out drunk. I have been on several military flights when I was in the 82nd and none of us were ever kicked off the flight for being too drunk. I'm actually impressed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I guess they start believing all that brass bullshit on their cop uniforms means shit.
Not when an O-5 tells you get the fuck off my bird.
If they had any sense of dignity they'd resign, they won't.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So NYPD was going to teach the Army how to shoot tons of bystanders while carrying guns with ridiculous trigger pull?  

I guess a trip to the MOUT course to "teach the soldiers" wouldn't look as good on the resume.  
View Quote
Wouldn't pay nearly as much per diem.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I guess they start believing all that brass bullshit on their cop uniforms means shit.
If they had any sense of dignity they'd resign, they won't.
View Quote
Why would they give up that Dental Plan?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
TDY to an area where their income can be Federal tax-free for that month?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
To show the Army how to deal with terrorists.  Duh.  If only @sylvan had this sort of training available to him.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#28]
A Proud Tradition indeed
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
dem three stars on his collar tho...

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#31]
NYC firearms
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#32]
So drunk AND flying with their duty weapons???

Sounds like some great judgement there.  Should be fired IMHO....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Because cops know how to fight terrorists... What a fucking joke. Stay CONUS and eat doughnuts you fat lazy fucks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Nypd is going to Afghanistan.  What a waste of taxpayers dollars and manpower.  Could they not find a nice conference in tahiti ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Were any of the brass also members of the NYARNG's 69th Inf. Reg. in which case there could be some UCMJ hilarity?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Were any of the brass also members of the NYARNG's 69th Inf. Reg. in which case there could be some UCMJ hilarity?
View Quote
normally UCMJ only applies to NG if they are on Title 10 orders at the time of the misconduct, IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That's saying something to be booted from a military flight for being too drunk.
View Quote
I booted a few off during my flying career.  Telling the Loadmaster that you'll sit down and fasten your seatbelt when you're goddamn good and ready is not a good response when flying Space A.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I booted a few off during my flying career.  Telling the Loadmaster that you'll sit down and fasten your seatbelt when you're goddamn good and ready is not a good response when flying Space A.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
who does that shit
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
To try to get the five other NYPD guys back from ISIS in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So drunk AND flying with their duty weapons???

Sounds like some great judgement there.  Should be fired IMHO....
View Quote
I was wondering the same... they insisted on bringing their own weapons, then got shitfaced drunk and kicked off the flight.

I guess they then were walking around the airbase blasted and with loaded weapons.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

iirc 333 days straight out of CONUS for that to kick in.
View Quote
330 full days. Doesn't have to be continuous.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Somebody just killed their contracting career. Welcome to the Blacklist.
View Quote
Yeah that's not going to go over well for the letter writer, which is unfortunate. If events played out as described, he is absolutely right to say what he said.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Last time I flew Space A on active duty I got on the plane sober and got off drunk (Air National Guard KC-135).  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#44]
and here I was still thinking that having guys from the FBI tagging along on raids in Afghanistan was odd, now we have cops over seas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm suspicious now that the OP quit policing early because he couldn't keep up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
who does that shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
who does that shit
It was some old retired fucker. Barely made it up the ladder to the crew entrance door, and when I asked him to take his seat and fasten his seatbelt, he replied, "Sonny, I'll sit down and fasten my seatbelt when I'm goddamn good and ready."  

Oops...wrong answer...thanks for playing.  I told the pax service person to take him off the plane...he wasn't flying with us.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I've heard two separate briefings from the NYPD intel folks. Underwhelmed, to say the least. They certainly did have a high opinion of themselves.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wonder if they drove  back home afterwards.
View Quote
Squad, lights on and 100+mph damn right.
Stopped for a pint too.
Job perk bitches
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
normally UCMJ only applies to NG if they are on Title 10 orders at the time of the misconduct, IIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are correct.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#50]
They will fly commercial in a few days - for an even greater cost to taxpayers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top