Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 10:39:20 PM EDT
Was putting my chickens up for the night when my dog started barking and I smelled skunk....Too late, his chest was covered in skunk oil.....

In the past I've used the old tomato juice solution, it never worked all that great. So? Not having any tomato juice i went to Google. I found the AKC website which had a good recipe for deskunking your dog...

1 Quart hydrogen peroxide 3%
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tablespoon dish soap

Got him in the tub right away and used the solution to break down the oil on his chest.....An hour later I can barely tell he got hit! The recipe worked darn good.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad that worked, Dawndish soap works also.

Douche works on the face around the eyes
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]
that is the best recipe.  If they get hit in the mouth their breath can stink for months.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]
i had a golden retriever hit about 15 years ago.  tried about 10 different mixes and none worked.  we had to shave her to get the smell out along with some mix i cant even remember.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I use baquacil chlorine substitute for my pool so I always have a few gallon jugs of the oxidizer around. The oxidizer is 27% hydrogen peroxide so when my dog gets sprayed by a skunk I mix up a tub full of the solution the OP mentioned. If you think it works good using a little bit of it you should see how good it works when you can really bath your dog in it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#5]
The thing that worked best for me was the poison ivy treatment called Tecnu. It's good at breaking up the oil in poison ivy, so it's also good at breaking up the oil that skunks spray.  

I tried the mix you found, OP, and it didn't work nearly as well as Tecnu.

Good luck with it!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#7]
My golden and I both got tagged a few years ago from about 2' away as the skunk tried to get into the house by walking under my golden.

The recipe OP posted is the only thing I've found that really works well, including the Natures Miracle stuff posted in here as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, that's the homemade remedy that I've always had good results with.
This stuff works pretty good also.
http://www.naturesmiracle.com/products/dog/stain-and-odor/skunk-odor-remover.aspx
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The thing that worked best for me was the poison ivy treatment called Tecnu. It's good at breaking up the oil in poison ivy, so it's also good at breaking up the oil that skunks spray.  

I tried the mix you found, OP, and it didn't work nearly as well as Tecnu.

Good luck with it!
View Quote
That makes good sense. I may try that in the future. There is a faint smell of skunk in the house this morning but it's not nearly as bad as the times past that I remember. The hazards and joys of living in the country.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#10]
my dog got sprayed in the face on saturday. I was leaving for work so a buddy took him to get a bath at petsmart as my vet was busy and only open half days on saturday. He still smells a little.

The WORST part. I opened the door to let him in and he ran and jumped on the couch and began slobbering all over the furniture before I realized what happened and made him go back outside. My house still smells.

I have cups of vinegar laying around. I'm going to change the air filter today, put baking soda on the carpet and vacuum, and put more cups of vinegar around the house. I was told to mix vinegar with water and spray and wipe down my couch. I will try it today. I've been spraying Febreeze fabric several times a day on the couch and the floor along with the Glade plug ins on my wall outlets.

Anything you can recommend for my couch??
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my dog got sprayed in the face on saturday. I was leaving for work so a buddy took him to get a bath at petsmart as my vet was busy and only open half days on saturday. He still smells a little.

The WORST part. I opened the door to let him in and he ran and jumped on the couch and began slobbering all over the furniture before I realized what happened and made him go back outside. My house still smells.

I have cups of vinegar laying around. I'm going to change the air filter today, put baking soda on the carpet and vacuum, and put more cups of vinegar around the house. I was told to mix vinegar with water and spray and wipe down my couch. I will try it today. I've been spraying Febreeze fabric several times a day on the couch and the floor along with the Glade plug ins on my wall outlets.

Anything you can recommend for my couch??
View Quote
No, I'm sorry, let us know if you find something that works though! I was lucky in that I got him stopped and controlled OUTSIDE the house.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
My dog found a skunk den under our front porch.  She's killed 3 skunks so far.  She likes it.  Rolls around on their dead bodies.  Then rubs her face in the grass and does a pretty good job of getting the smell off.  

The skunk killer:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was putting my chickens up for the night when my dog started barking and I smelled skunk....Too late, his chest was covered in skunk oil.....

In the past I've used the old tomato juice solution, it never worked all that great. So? Not having any tomato juice i went to Google. I found the AKC website which had a good recipe for deskunking your dog...

1 Quart hydrogen peroxide 3%
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tablespoon dish soap

Got him in the tub right away and used the solution to break down the oil on his chest.....An hour later I can barely tell he got hit! The recipe worked darn good.
View Quote

I would add that the dish soap that works best in this mixture is Dawn and that hydrogen peroxide has a relatively short shelf life, so if its something that has been in your closet for 2-3 years it won't work nearly as well. Best if it is no older than 6 months.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#14]
i had a shorthair that got skunked a lot. We used a horse mane shampoo we got at orshcelns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top