Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 10:13:42 PM EDT
Can someone explain what this means, does it mean the police is only part-time? 

The Franklin County Sheriffs office will respond to ONLY priority runs when Franklin Township Officers are off.
They will respond to injury accidents, robbery in progress, shootings, stabbings, domestics, etc… any other types of call, please wait until your police officers are working.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It means the Township police don't have officers on duty at night. County will respond to emergencies when the Township is off duty, but non-emergencies need to wait until Township police open back up in the morning. 

Common for very small towns that can't afford to employ extra shifts for a very low call load. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's non emergent they aren't coming
Edit-protect your self
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The Franklin County Sheriffs office will respond to ONLY priority runs when Franklin Township Officers are off.
They will respond to injury accidents, robbery in progress, shootings, stabbings, domestics, etc… any other types of call, please wait until your police officers are working.
View Quote

What are you missing here? The township is obviously tiny and doesn't have 24 hour service. When the township isn't providing service, the sheriff's office provides emergency response but won't take low priority calls.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
They'll respond to life and safety calls but your burglary / theft / vandalism report will have to wait.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It means the Township police don't have officers on duty at night. County will respond to emergencies when the Township is off duty, but non-emergencies need to wait until Township police open back up in the morning. 
View Quote
It means they're not coming out for non crimes, only for actual crimes like where someone is being hurt physically or under the threat thereof.
So don't expect someone to come out because your neighbor's dog is barking, but expect them if you shoot said dog.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Not part time but not 24/7 either.

They don't have enough officers to cover every shift. In a little town near me there are no "City" cops from 3 am to 7 am.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Common for very small towns that can't afford to employ extra shifts for a very low call load. 
View Quote
thanks - just needed confirmation if i read it correctly, i'm tired 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Franklin county nc?? I can see that bring the case with their sheriff's, my wife's folks live there and it's sparsly populated
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like you're clear to take the law into your own hands.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It means they're not coming out for non crimes, only for actual crimes like where someone is being hurt physically or under the threat thereof.
So don't expect someone to come out because your neighbor's dog is barking, but expect them if you shoot said dog.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#12]
It means the county sherrif's department isn't coming out to investigate your noise complaint at 3am. Call the township PD when they get in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#13]
That means that the Franklin Township police department is running a less than 24/7 patrol.  They probably go home around 2200 or 0000 hours.  

We had a local municipality go pretty much non-existent during a really bad time in their department.  My department would actively patrol the city and answer priority calls but non priority calls were left for the couple of officers who were on during the day.

It's pretty simple. Some municipalities don't have enough for full time coverage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
If it's after hours get your own damn cat out of the tree.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, PD it's self is not 24 hr coverage. Town next to where I used to be cop was like that at first. They used to not have a PD at all. The SO responded there and provided all LE services. If it was a priority call and no SO deputy in the area they would sometimes dispatch us until SO could arrive or we would back SO up in some cases. Then they got a Town Marshall. He basically worked days like 5 days a week during the day. Then a couple years later they hired a couple officers and a few reserves and had enough to cover 24 hrs 7 days a week. Franklin Township, my guess, only have a couple officers and not enough to cover some periors of time and the SO covers for priority calls. So if someone is wanting to file class C criminal mischief, littering or other minor misdemeanor,  not crimes in progress, they want you to wait until "normal hrs" contact the PD fo make a report. Crime in progress or serious priority type call they will respond.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seems pretty straightforward.
View Quote
Yep. That statement leaves me with zero questions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems pretty straightforward.
Thanks all, just needed confirmation that understood it correctly. I didn't know there's actually part time police force, but with lack of money I understand. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top