Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 9:06:55 PM EDT
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/lenin-statues-removed-soviet-union-russia-crimea-ukraine-bolshevik-communist-petro-poroshenko-a7903611.html

"Ukraine has removed all 1,320 statues of the communist revolutionary Lenin following a government drive to rid the country of Soviet-era symbols. Monuments to the Bolshevik leader have been dismantled in every town, village and city controlled by the Kiev-based government that brought down pro-Russian president Viktor Yanukovych three years ago, according to officials.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
What took them so long?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
They are being relocated to San Francisco, Chicago, Austin, etc
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I really went to like Ukraine, but they just seem like a country that has a real hard time taking care of themselves. 
I hope this is a sign that is all changing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
This seems oddly Orwellian. History being deleted all around the world, as if to open the door for new, cleaner history to be created in it's place. Strange times...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This seems oddly Orwellian. History being deleted all around the world, as if to open the door for new, cleaner history to be created in it's place. Strange times...
View Quote
except the Ukrainians were not the ones that put them up I'll bet..........not a case of the Ukrainians wanting to change their history, they  want to clean the piss off of themselves where the Russians marked their territory.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
1,320?  Jesus christ.

That's it?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please do not sarcastically compare Lenin with Confederate leader memorials....
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
For starters, those monuments were imposed upon the public by an authoritative regime.  Many of the confederate monuments are from private groups.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Difference is the Russians were occupiers. The south was already there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ask someone under 30 what the Berlin Wall was about.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]
They need to be destroyed. These will end up in the U.S. in a city near you, if they're not blown the fuck up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
And they will be sent to the U.S.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
They aren't burning libraries and shooting professors.

History isn't dependent upon statues.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, but it is dependent upon people being reminded of it. But by all means, they can try and forget about their occupation and enslavement and the atrocities that happened.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No, but it is dependent upon people being reminded of it. But by all means, they can try and forget about their occupation and enslavement and the atrocities that happened.
View Quote
There is an active war being fought between the Ukraine and Russian backed rebels. Parts of the Ukraine were annexed by Russia in the past few years. I suspect they don't need the stupid statues to remember exactly how terrible Russia is.

Also, statues glorifying Lenin hardly serve as a public reminder of the brutality of the USSR. Triumphal statues are editorials, and in the case, produced to glorify Russia.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Seattle still has theirs!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Would be funny if they shipped them all to a small island like Easter Island to confuse future generations. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Would be funny if they shipped them all to a small island like Easter Island to confuse future generations. 
View Quote
See... That's the kind of trolling that makes civilization great again. I like the cut of your jib, son.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#20]
America needs to take note and follow their lead
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/lenin-statues-removed-soviet-union-russia-crimea-ukraine-bolshevik-communist-petro-poroshenko-a7903611.html

"Ukraine has removed all 1,320 statues of the communist revolutionary Lenin following a government drive to rid the country of Soviet-era symbols. Monuments to the Bolshevik leader have been dismantled in every town, village and city controlled by the Kiev-based government that brought down pro-Russian president Viktor Yanukovych three years ago, according to officials.
View Quote
https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2017/03/01/14/ukraine-lenin.jpg
View Quote
as long as they left up the statues of Jeff Davis and Bobby Lee, nobody here is gonna fault them for tearing down a few old outdated monuments
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
1,320?  Jesus christ.

That's it?  
View Quote
Slave labor is cheap.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's more about pissing off their former occupiers  and orchestrators of the Holodomor.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#24]
MUGA!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think that was his point. I think what he is getting at is how here and over there people want to remove statues.

You got to admit this is strange shit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
  Do you think that is why they are being removed?

OK,some lunatic breaks into your home,kills your children and holds you hostage. He paints a mural of himself on the wall of your living room as he attempts to convince you to join his cult. You finally chase him out of the house...do you keep the painting as a quaint reminder?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I think it's a mistake. 

They should leave them. I think that they should show them to their children; 'There he is! That's the Russian bastard who invaded our country, oppressed us for decades and hand picked as his successor the mad man who starved millions of us to death. Never forget who he is. Never forget who the Russians are!'
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:10:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Canadians conquered and ruled the US for half a century and placed Maple Leaf monuments fucking everywhere would you remove them too? OTOH Confederates are veterans.... the more yoy know.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gonna be kinda hard to forget about 10 million murdered Ukrainians no matter how many Lenin statutes get turned into car parts.

my great grandparents emigrated from Lviv in the 1930s.  I don't have any statues from them. They remembered. So do I. So do my sons.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:24:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Even funnier if ground into fill for the new Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#32]
They should have never given back the nukes w/o compensation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:32:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And we're busy removing the heroes of the War of Northern Aggression.
View Quote
You mean that period of social unrest when the Democrats threw a fit because they thought that the Republicans were gonna take away their slaves?  Thus giving the Republicans an excuse to take away their slaves.

Nothing much really changes about those folks, does it? 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Not all have been removed

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
America needs to take note and follow their lead
View Quote
Yep, we should remove all statues of British kings.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Kinda depends on where in Ukraine you are, to determine the attitude about this.  I've stood next to several Lenin statues in Ukraine over the years.  My MIL, who lives in a predominately Russian speaking part of Ukraine asked my wife just last week (after seeing the news about the confederate statues coming down), if the U.S. had sought some disease from Ukraine.

History is what it is, it should be remembered, and not re-written, here or there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Statues of Tennesseans, put up by Tennesseans, of beloved Tennesseans, and so on. Little different than statues of communist Russians put up in Ukraine during hated, forced authoritarian rule.

If the south conquered the north, ruled over her harshly, put a Lee statue in downtown Detroit, then gave up rule over the north, we'd all be fine with Detroit tearing down the statues.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:48:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Good. Melt them down and make tanks out of them to fight the commies.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I think they have a monument of some type on almost every street corner so there are plenty of holdovers from the old USSR - old Soviet military equipment is scattered around that entire country as monuments.  Those people love making statues & medals.

I doubt this will be coming down any time soon:

One family was telling me about the wife that grew up on the Russian side of the border.  When she was a small schoolgirl, she apparently disrespected the teachers/authority so she was required to kneel in front of Lenin's picture the entire day.  I'm guessing this was right around the fall of the USSR.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Goodbye Lenin!

Goodbye to the horrible legacy brought about by classic russian expansionism! Fight Vladolf Putler, get the US over there to whoop some of those russian dogs for you!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:02:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I am the walrus.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:13:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I really went to like Ukraine, but they just seem like a country that has a real hard time taking care of themselves. 
I hope this is a sign that is all changing.
View Quote
Doubt it, been fucked for a looooong time
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not the same thing.
Removing history...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top