Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 8:19:08 PM EDT
Would liberals be in favor of a Universal Basic Income if the government forcefully confiscated it from other countries instead of from successful Americans? 

Say we glass the fuck out of places like Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq and then give every American a check for their portion of oil/rare-earth mineral revenue? I have a feeling liberals would be against that, but it's perfectly fine to steal money from your own citizens.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
UBI is still a bad idea, and we're still 20T in debt with 150T in unfunded liabilities.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Go over to DU and Ask them.   Except say "Tax" the occupied territories, instead of "Nuke" 'em.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
UBI is still a bad idea, and we're still 20T in debt with 150T in unfunded liabilities.
View Quote
A convenient war with the right parties would solve that problem..
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
It's like that episode of Futurama where everyone got $300 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think they're in the plan.  Equal suffering.   Means testing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Redistribute the federal funds for all sanctuary cities to everyone who actually paid taxes last year.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Well that's a wonderful way to combine the worst ideas of left wing and right wing political thought.

It always comes down to either bribing people or shoving guns in their faces it seems.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a precedent for this: Rome, both the Republic and the Empire.
Powerful Romans sought acclaim. The ultimate acclamation was the Triumph. We think of it as simply a parade through Rome, with cheering crowds. But the crowds were there, and cheering, because of the largesse distributed due to the Triumph.
Rome, by the latter years of the Republic, had an enormous FSA population- several hundred thousand people, dependent on state welfare. They were alternately cultivated, feared, and used by factions of the Roman elite. There was a delicate balance between reward and repression.
Much like today.
The chief source of Triumphs was overseas conquest.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#10]
If I could live off it after I pay my house off I'd gladly retire

I am only 32

Retarded idea is retarded
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Would liberals be in favor of a Universal Basic Income if the government forcefully confiscated it from other countries instead of from successful Americans? 

Say we glass the fuck out of places like Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq and then give every American a check for their portion of oil/rare-earth mineral revenue? I have a feeling liberals would be against that, but it's perfectly fine to steal money from your own citizens.
View Quote
Yes...... because that plan does not increase THIER POWER over citizens.

but I like this idea.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Imperialism will never be OK with the left.
View Quote
LOL, tell that to the Soviet Union and China who invaded Finland and Vietnam.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Imperialism will never be OK with the left.
View Quote
Which is really weird since I can't tell the difference between imperialism and international Communism...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this the thread where we pretend UBI is not a libertarian idea backed by Nobel-winning conservative economists?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is this the thread where we pretend UBI is not a libertarian idea backed by Nobel-winning conservative economists?
View Quote
What?

I've seen some who asserted that UBI would be more efficient than the current bloated administrative apparatus that manages and distributes the myriad welfare programs. However saying UBI might be better than the current state of things is not the same as UBI being a "libertarian idea".
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you want the People's Republic of Haven?

'Cause that's how you get the People's Republic of Haven.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top