Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 6:49:18 PM EDT
I need a pack for an upcoming trip. I am going on a 7 day hike in the Pyrenees. Only need to carry essentials for the day. Food, water, rain gear, first aid, maybe trekking poles, other odds and ends. 10-15 miles per day less than 2000' of elevation but not sure how much change up & down per day. So really a light duty hike. I want to buy a new pack and want it to be light and as cool as possible. I naturally run hot, I am overweight, and I want to be as cool as possible. Weather looks to be 80-85 this time of year.

I looked at the Osprey Exos pack today. Super light, completely separated from my back via a trampoline suspension. I don't think I can find a cooler pack. It fit my fat arse very well (size medium) which I didn't expect. It looks like I can get a 58L and 48L which are complete overkill but can be cin down to be quite small. The 38L is 2" narrower which concerns me since I like the fit at the width I tried on the 58L. I want this pack to double as my airline carry on for this trip too. Any thoughts on this pack or others that suit my needs?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I hunt with a Kuiu.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hunt with a Kuiu.
View Quote
Same here.

But most he backpackers here seem to love osprey. I wouldn't say kuiu unless you're taking 100 pounds several miles.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The Exos is a great pack. I have a 48L - that's the size to get IMO.  I've taken it on 5 day, 70mi trips with all my gear.  Not sure about airline sizing. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you need a 38-40 liters max.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Osprey Exos 48 would be a fine choice.

I'm a huge fan of Osprey, but I am in excellent shape and go backpacking a lot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I own four Osprey packs. Backpacking one is Atmos 65. Get one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#7]
that's a lot of water
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an Exos 58.  Love the pack so much it's going to be my pack for the JMT next year.  The mesh allows for a ton of airflow so your back doesn't get soaking wet with sweat.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Same here.

But most he backpackers here seem to love osprey. I wouldn't say kuiu unless you're taking 100 pounds several miles.
View Quote
Those packs seem better suited to packing out an elk. I won't be carrying more than 20-30lbs in this pack. Also carrying anything hunting related will scare the euro corporate types I will be with. In other words my Badlands pack would work but I would stick out like a sore thumb.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Exos is a great pack. I have a 48L - that's the size to get IMO.  I've taken it on 5 day, 70mi trips with all my gear.  Not sure about airline sizing. 
View Quote
What was "all your gear"? Tent, pad, stove?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]
How u gonna hike 10-15 miles a day if you're yuge?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I put an Oprey pack through heavy use for a few years (hiking at work).  I am pretty sold on them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How u gonna hike 10-15 miles a day if you're yuge?
View Quote
Competitive nature, tenacity, and a strong foundation.

I'll live. I might be sweating like a pig but I'll be first up the hill!!!! I'm more worried about how I am going to get my bourbon to camp each night. A week without the good stuff sounds like torture!

It's hard to find bourbon, ice, or deodorant in Europe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Competitive nature, tenacity, and a strong foundation.

I'll live. I might be sweating like a pig but I'll be first up the hill!!!! I'm more worried about how I am going to get my bourbon to camp each night. A week without the good stuff sounds like torture!

It's hard to find bourbon, ice, or deodorant in Europe.
View Quote
Murica'

Good for u brother
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Osprey packs are great - strong and light. Good choice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Murica'

Good for u brother
View Quote
GD right!!!!! That would have been a great one word response.
I think I'll bring my hat and fire up the Euro snowflakes.
Attachment Attached File

Off to put the kiddos to bed. I'll check back in an hour or so.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tent, pad, sleeping bag, cook kit, summer clothes, rain gear, water filter setup, 6.5days of food, and 2L of water.  Everything you need to survive, basically.  Came in at 27lbs with water, I wouldn't carry much more than that. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#18]
FYI - an updated version of the Exos, a female-specific version, and an ultralight version are coming out this fall.  Their features are probably more tailored to the long distance hiker crowd, though. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tent, pad, sleeping bag, cook kit, summer clothes, rain gear, water filter setup, 6.5days of food, and 2L of water.  Everything you need to survive, basically.  Came in at 27lbs with water, I wouldn't carry much more than that. 
View Quote
Thank you! That helps. I'll be carrying much less than that on this trip but I would like the pack to be useful on future (more extensive) trips. I am going to find a place to try on the 38L, if it fits like the 58L in the width, I am going to do that. If not, I am going with the 48L.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an Atmos that is getting pretty ragged but it's close to 10 years old. Did the Long trail twice and countless other shorter trips. Canoe trips, hunting, and if course straight up backpacking.

4 day trip a few weeks ago

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have an Atmos that is getting pretty ragged but it's close to 10 years old. Did the Long trail twice and countless other shorter trips. Canoe trips, hunting, and if course straight up backpacking.

4 day trip a few weeks ago

http://i66.tinypic.com/1686iaq.jpg
View Quote
What size/capacity?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What size/capacity?
View Quote
It's the Atmos 65
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top