Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2017 5:45:59 PM EDT
 Not cheap pans either. Not expensive per se, but not cheap.

What gives?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Such info
Much detail
Wow
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
 Not cheap pans either. Not expensive per se, but not cheap.

What gives?
View Quote

You putting them in cold water when they are smoking hot?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You putting them in cold water when they are smoking hot?
View Quote
This. Rapid cooling causes warpage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Overheating for 350. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Because you cool them too fast after cooking.

Just let them cook on the cook top.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you hitting people over the head with them?  That will ruin them if you are
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine do it too and I'm careful to let them cool before washing them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Because you don't use cast iron.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Let them cool down on their own before putting water on them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
 Yep.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Agree with the others - you're probably cooling them rapidly. That, or you just have shitty pans. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are using Aluminum pans its something you have to live with. Even the best Aluminum pans will warp over time just from use, its the price you pay for using cheap cookware. Cast iron or Copper will never have the issue.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I toss my stainless pans right in the water off the stove top, never had warping. Just get better pans OP. These guys must love scrubbing.

ETA: If you do it right you can pretend you're on forged in fire and quench a stainless pan in the sink with steam and all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#14]
You overheat them.

Piece of wood and a hammer will flatten that warp right out.  (use a light touch)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#15]
ALL THE ABOVE..

too much heat on a dry pan will warp it
too much heat and burning the contents of a pan will warp it
leaving pan on a cooling burner will warp it (can also weld it to the burner)
putting hot pans in water can warp them..and adding water to a very hot dry pan can warp it

TURN DOWN THE HEAT as well
Chef.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tell that to the zillion pans I have deglazed over the years.

Get better pans OP.  From a restaurant supply store.  They'll be reasonably priced and will last you a lifetime.  "Vollrath" is your friend.

"too much dry heat" is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Based upon the information, I think the microwave is the culprit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Agree with the others - you're probably cooling them rapidly. That, or you just have shitty pans. 
View Quote
I've several Calphalon pans. Every one has warped on the bottom so it wouldn't sit flat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep.
View Quote
Cast is not immune.

I was stoked to get a nice, light griswold  No. 8 at a garage sale, but it doesn't lie flat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#20]
You probably aren't actually using good pans for one.  I.e. probably using the cheap non stock single walled pans that seem expensive but cheaply made.  

You are much likely to warp a pan if you are using a higher quality thick bottomed panned.  The thicker the base the better.

You probably are also cooking wrong with them.  A pan should never go above medium-low heat.  On a scale of 1-10 usually 3 or 4 for nearly all cooking.  You should also let the pan cool naturally on the stove and never immerse it in any water until its cold.  Also don't heat a pan and just let it sit there.  Once its up to temperature start cooking.  Otherwise take it off the stove.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
If only.

New cooktop says cast is a no no.

I grew up with cast iron goodness.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cast is not immune.

I was stoked to get a nice, light griswold  No. 8 at a garage sale, but it doesn't lie flat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Cast is not immune.

I'd like to know why enameled cast iron costs so much!!!~
I just got this 5qt Staub enameled dutch oven - $309!!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You probably aren't actually using good pans for one.  I.e. probably using the cheap non stock single walled pans that seem expensive but cheaply made.  

You are much likely to warp a pan if you are using a higher quality thick bottomed panned.  The thicker the base the better.

You probably are also cooking wrong with them.  A pan should never go above medium-low heat.  On a scale of 1-10 usually 3 or 4 for nearly all cooking.  You should also let the pan cool naturally on the stove and never immerse it in any water until its cold.  Also don't heat a pan and just let it sit there.  Once its up to temperature start cooking.  Otherwise take it off the stove.
View Quote
Do what, now?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

leaving pan on a cooling burner will warp it (can also weld it to the burner)
View Quote
Huh? Your stove has heating properties similar to the temperature range of a welding arc?

I need to know more about this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
How do you sear anything?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Get better pans OP.  From a restaurant supply store.  They'll be reasonably priced and will last you a lifetime.  "Vollrath" is your friend.

View Quote
See, thats the thing, I never wait to the pan to heat too much.

Burned butter? Not for me, just hot enough to melt the butter and make some sizzle when the Tofu goes in.

Yeah, Tofu.

5-6 cloves of garlic, 1/4 stick butter, half an onion diced, liberal splash of soy sauce and some bacon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Huh? Your stove has heating properties similar to the temperature range of a welding arc?

I need to know more about this.
View Quote
I have seen aluminum and copper bottomed pans weld themselves to electric stove and oven elements..all I got...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or really rapid heating. Electric coils can sometimes do that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think that pouring a little liquid in a pan and making a sizzle is the same as immersing a hot pan in water?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the answer you seek. With a good seasoning, all of my cast iron cookware is non-stick, and it all lays flat. If, as seen above, you get a warped cast iron piece, it likely is a strong indicator that it was left on a high-heat burner dry. Without something inside, they can distribute the heat very evenly and even cast iron can be ruined.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Seeing quite a few "KIDS AND SUMMER HELP" posts in this thread...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've several Calphalon pans. Every one has warped on the bottom so it wouldn't sit flat.
View Quote
Calphalon is fancy at Target, but it's not really all that good quality.  Try Le Creuset.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#33]
do you not have an old lady?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Calphalon is fancy at Target, but it's not really all that good quality.  Try Le Creuset.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I buy the made in USA Calphalons for my wife. they are great and dont warp.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#35]
we only use cast iron.  problem stays solved.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Get a gas range with a cast iron grate. You won't notice the pan warpage anymore. Also I've forgot my cast iron pans for over an hour on high heat while I was drying it. Came back and it was white (seasoning burned off). Let it cool and reseasoned, no issues. Come to think of it, never had any problems with my stainless or carbon steel pans either? I think my calphalon anodized are aluminum, but they've been fine too although I don't do much searing or high heat on them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You think that pouring a little liquid in a pan and making a sizzle is the same as immersing a hot pan in water?
View Quote
Actually I'd say it's worse. You're rapidly cooling one side.  I'm no metallurgist though.  I can only speak from years of commercial kitchen experience.  

I've tossed countless screaming hot pans right in the soap sink.  The dishwashers always liked it cause they clean up easier.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#38]
warped got real hot then poured cold water on them before they cooled down sufficiently
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I inherited some nice pans from my mom and soon after warped one by trying to clean it while it was still hot.
still use it though - prop the handle on a timer by the side of stove to level it out.
live and learn
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#40]
You also can't add cold liquid while cooking, heat it up first and yeah I just warped one of my favorite stainless pans... it happens
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You also can't add cold liquid while cooking, heat it up first and yeah I just warped one of my favorite stainless pans... it happens
View Quote
I do it all the time. Cast iron and All-Clad D5 Stainless. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep same here - Deglazing!!! 

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Do what, now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do what, now?
Do you know how I know you don't cook with good pots and pans?  Like stainless steel or copper....
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
We have several Calphalon pans, the older heavier one warped on us and they replaced it under warranty.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
See, thats the thing, I never wait to the pan to heat too much.

Burned butter? Not for me, just hot enough to melt the butter and make some sizzle when the Tofu goes in.

Yeah, Tofu.

5-6 cloves of garlic, 1/4 stick butter, half an onion diced, liberal splash of soy sauce and some bacon.
View Quote
Your pans warp because they're disgusted by you and your food choices. #science
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Do you know how I know you don't cook with good pots and pans?  Like stainless steel or copper....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do what, now?
I do, and I have never warped any of them.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Me too. I need to send my big skillet back for warranty again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'd like to know why enameled cast iron costs so much!!!~
I just got this 5qt Staub enameled dutch oven - $309!!!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/CastIron-286689.JPG
View Quote
My 6qt Lodge cost about $50-60, and it works beautifully.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do what, now?
I guess my All-Clad D5 stainless is shitty, then? I get where you're coming from (you don't need to use a rip roaring flame for most cooking), but medium heat ain't gonna kill it. If I want some color on what I'm cooking, 3 or 4 (out of 10) ain't gonna cut it on any stove I've ever owned. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top