Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2001 7:32:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I lived through the shortages of '73 (or was it '71) and '79 and I don't remember anyone going postal. Sure, prices went up to a dollar, but the minimum wage was close to $2. I don't know. Perhaps a shortage would have more impact today as people commute a lot more than they used to.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure we will, the assailant will be a geeky work-study student at a mid-western high school who works part time at the post office and has a long commute through a disadvantaged neighborhood.  

My $.02
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#3]
No. Not in the near future.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
i think maybe the gas prices will maybe be enuf to make someone blow up in road rage
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure is a possibility.
With the shortages of the 70's all you could do was grind your teeth and mutter obscenities about OPEC.

Not this time.

You can blame American oil companies for last summer and what's predicted for this year.

A lot of people see it as price gouging.

It could get ugly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, the next time someone farts in an elevator with me when I'm packin', he better watch out!

Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
No because when the SHTF I'll make sure I steal gas from an anti, then I'll go to his house and steal his food, and he wont be able to do shit about it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember at least 1 or 2 hijackings of gas tanker trucks during the last shortage. People were really getting desperate with the even/odd gas days back then.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#9]
i sure as hell can't afford it.......

and yes IT IS PRICE GOUGING........

there will be penalties, and you and i are gonna pay them.

i will be buying a RAXOR scooter in the next few weeks just to goto work on, a little slower but i dont have to feed it, and i dont have to follow it with a shovel..

the day will come whrn we all go back to horses, they come in nicer models anyway.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I don't think it'll happen, because it didn't last winter when prices more than doubled in a couple months up here ($1.16 to $2.40/gallon for diesel.) I think they realized that you CAN'T piss off the truckers, because in the past week regular unleaded has gone from $1.48 to $1.70/gallon, and diesel has stayed right at $1.53. Plus if worse comes to worse, I can always talk to the boss and fill up from the nice big tank of off-road diesel we have at work![:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Let's hope people don't get mad and shoot the guy that works in the station, he needs a job just like everyone else. Now the president of a oil company, I don't know if I would care much. He doesn't seem to care about me
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, I lived through the shortages of '73 (or was it '71) and '79 and I don't remember anyone going postal. Sure, prices went up to a dollar, but the minimum wage was close to $2. I don't know. Perhaps a shortage would have more impact today as people commute a lot more than they used to.
View Quote

that was then and this now.  No school or workplace shootings back then.  Someone will go ballistic.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#13]
It's going to happen,If the price of gas gets up to $3.00 a gallon alot of things may happen,this would no doubt ruin the economy,people who have to commute to work are going to be hit hard,can't afford to drive to work,but can't afford to quit....what do you do?Maybe if this happens it would be time to give some thought on a national gas price frezze,Tell the oil companys to cool it,or else If they don't then seize ALL of their assets,and take over the refinerys, A little radical,yes, but it would get their attention right quick, But, seeing how G.W. is a oil man, I don't think he'll do much, unless it threatens the economy to the point of recession.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I do not even look at the price of the gas because I know that I need it to drive 50 miles each day. I just fill 'er up, pay the tab and be on my merry way.  Whats the use in worrying about it when you do not have, or do not care to have any other options.  I adjust my life-style so that I am living on 70% of my income, this way I have plenty of flexibility when the price of something I use quite regularly goes up rather dramatically.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 2:17:53 AM EDT
[#15]
The prices are jacked up and the oil companies posted record profits last year.

Those f*cks are definitely making the money.

Must look into oil company stocks this year.

Do it for the children.

I mean the shareholders.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Last summer I worked at an automotive fossel fuel replentishing depot and while we didn't have any shootings, we did have at least 3 drive off's a day.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#17]
There might be some shootings when the thugs shoot at the law catching up with them after they just did a gas drive off.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

that was then and this now.  No school or workplace shootings back then.  Someone will go ballistic.
View Quote

I agree with Chaingun here. It will happen sooner or later. Probably when prices get higher in the dead of summer and the temperature is highest too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#19]
time to put locking gas caps on your car

and keep the syphon hose handy [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top