Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 4:34:24 PM EDT
I need about 500 feet of french drain. Does anybody have any first hand experience with the perforated pipe that is wrapped in peanuts and a sock? looks like a neat system and would keep me form shoveling a bunch of gravel.

thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.pro-sprinkler.com/2011/07/nds-ez-drain-pre-constructed-french-drain-installation.html

This stuff?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
yep
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
My advice:  Rent a trencher.  Or a few South of the Border types from the Home Depot parking lot.

And I would use regular sock pipe and gravel.  #57s.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer a silt fabric with gravel
And perforated pipe. I also install clean outs that turn up above grade
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]
For that much does it make sense to rent or hire a bobcat?  Would be quick and might end up cheaper overall.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The drain pipe wrapped with packing peanuts is good stuff for short runs but way to expensive for long runs.
Much better off with stone and silt paper with a clean-out or two on the run.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#7]
500 ft?  Shovel?  Hell no.  I say that as a guy who just did about 100+ ft manually. You need to mechanize.

I went with perforated pvc, gravel, fabric.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Rent a trencher.  Use rigid white perf pipe.  It can be cleaned out and the corrugated pipe can't.  Lay silt fabric in the trench.  Put the rigid pipe in the trench with the holes facing up.  Fill with 57 (washed) stone.  Wrap the silt fabric over the stone like a burrito.  Back fill to grade.

I have a Bobcat with a trencher attachment.  The mini skidsteers are perfect for this, and can be rented for not a lot of money.  Depending upon soil conditions, I could do 500' in an hour or so.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Check with the grounds keeper at your local golf course. He may have equipment, knowledge and time to give you a hand.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rent a trencher.  Use rigid white perf pipe.  It can be cleaned out and the corrugated pipe can't.  Lay silt fabric in the trench.  Put the rigid pipe in the trench with the holes facing up.  Fill with 57 (washed) stone.  Wrap the silt fabric over the stone like a burrito.  Back fill to grade.

I have a Bobcat with a trencher attachment.  The mini skidsteers are perfect for this, and can be rented for not a lot of money.  Depending upon soil conditions, I could do 500' in an hour or so.
View Quote
This is how we install drains, but the holes should be down.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I need about 500 feet of french drain. Does anybody have any first hand experience with the perforated pipe that is wrapped in peanuts and a sock? looks like a neat system and would keep me form shoveling a bunch of gravel.

thanks.
View Quote

My opinion:

Don't use this stuff.  I had two 15ft lengths of it in my front yard for a couple of years and just recently had to dig it up for unrelated reasons.  The outermost mesh was clogged solid and pretty much cracked and fell apart when touched, allowing packing peanuts to spill everywhere.  Do it right and build a french drain with gravel, wrapped and perforated pvc pipe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I have used the gravel and sock method but if you can use catch basins, anywhere to move the water, they work much better
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  My mistake.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Use perforated A-2000 tile. Will last forever. Comes in 10 ft. sticks if needed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the advice.....got a quote from a local company to install perf pipe and gravel........they wanted 8,000. So now Im trying to figure out if i want to tackle this myself.

Jake
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top