Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 2:16:29 PM EDT
Experimental P68 flown by veteran stunt pilot West Winter crashes at an air show in Plainview TX in the early 80's. People that were there said his wife was announcing his routine on the PA and as he crashed she started screaming on PA. They said it was something they would never forget.

NTSB report  Accident Number: FTW83FA424"The aircraft's speed at the time of the wing separation was 220 Kts.
VNE for the aircraft is 193 Kts. Initial pull up was @8g's.

Sound quality is really low.

You can hear his wife on the PA if you turn up the volume.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, now that's a show. That lasted long enough to give you time for a few different thoughts on the matter. You could actually contemplate it and what was about to happen before it finally did. Wes could've delivered his own eulogy before he impacted. He could've given his Oscar's speech. "And I'd like to thank my mom and dad for flying lessons, I wanna thank my girlfriend for the amazing sex last night, thanks to all you fans that bought a ticket, I'd also like to say "fuck you" to the FAA, by the way I always wanted to be cremated so I guess this'll work. Could you spread my ashes over... oh, I don't know, you guys vote on it and decide. Well, I guess I've said pretty much all I need to say. Now what should I talk about for the next 7 seconds? I know! I'll hum a show tune and you guys try and gue" SPLAT!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like he just started to pull the nose up when "snap" wings separated

Eta: looks like they went on with the show after a half hour delay for clean up

Following a half-hour delay, the 1983 air show continued. As announcer Bill McCullough of Levelland told the crowd, "We will go on with the show. I know my friend Wes would have wanted it that way."

Plainview Herald
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
A high-wing twin engine plane seems a poor choice for aerobatics.

I was thinking he might have had time to jump but even if he had had a parachute, the likelihood of getting out of that thing while it was falling out of control seemed low, even if he had been high enough for a parachute to open.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn, now that's a show. That lasted long enough to give you time for a few different thoughts on the matter. You could actually contemplate it and what was about to happen before it finally did. Wes could've delivered his own eulogy before he impacted. He could've given his Oscar's speech. "And I'd like to thank my mom and dad for flying lessons, I wanna thank my girlfriend for the amazing sex last night, thanks to all you fans that bought a ticket, I'd also like to say "fuck you" to the FAA, by the way I always wanted to be cremated so I guess this'll work. Could you spread my ashes over... oh, I don't know, you guys vote on it and decide. Well, I guess I've said pretty much all I need to say. Now what should I talk about for the next 7 seconds? I know! I'll hum a show tune and you guys try and gue" SPLAT!
View Quote
I wonder if he said his goodbye on the radio, he had plenty of time to say something to his wife.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Both wings snap at the same time????
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well built plane... at least to the point were it failed evenly when over stressed.  Vne = Velocity Never Exceed.   I guess it should have read Vneyozdsoiwky = Velocity Never Exceed You OverZealous DipShit Or It Will Kill You.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well built plane... at least to the point were it failed evenly when over stressed.  Vne = Velocity Never Exceed.   I guess it should have read Vneyozdsoiwky = Velocity Never Exceed You OverZealous DipShit Or It Will Kill You.
View Quote
Yup posted in OP, Vne was 193 kts, he was driving @ 220 kts when he went into aggressive climb...outboard wing sections detached, tail completely failed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A high-wing twin engine plane seems a poor choice for aerobatics.

I was thinking he might have had time to jump but even if he had had a parachute, the likelihood of getting out of that thing while it was falling out of control seemed low, even if he had been high enough for a parachute to open.
View Quote
Guess you never saw the 100's of shows that Bob Hoover put on in a Shrike Commander?

The airplane has nothing to do with it, it the control inputs from the pilot that make the difference when combined with good judgement.

Personally I won't bother watching some clown doing bank and yanks when I can see someone else doing graceful aerobatics. Frank Tallman in his Grumman Duck comes to mind.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I was at the air races in reno for the one in 2011 and the screams of people are ones that you will never forget.

?WARNING? Reno air races airplane crash 2011 (GRAPHIC Video)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Appropriate sig line is very appropriate!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Damn, now that's a show. That lasted long enough to give you time for a few different thoughts on the matter. You could actually contemplate it and what was about to happen before it finally did. Wes could've delivered his own eulogy before he impacted. He could've given his Oscar's speech. "Oh Snap!!!! And I'd like to thank my mom and dad for flying lessons, I wanna thank my girlfriend for the amazing sex last night, thanks to all you fans that bought a ticket, I'd also like to say "fuck you" to the FAA, by the way I always wanted to be cremated so I guess this'll work. Could you spread my ashes over... oh, I don't know, you guys vote on it and decide. Well, I guess I've said pretty much all I need to say. Now what should I talk about for the next 7 seconds? I know! I'll hum a show tune and you guys try and gue" SPLAT!
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, food for thought here for those folks who seem to always think "The engineers were way too conservative, this thing is good for 15-20% more than they rated it!"
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yep, food for thought here for those folks who seem to always think "The engineers were way too conservative, this thing is good for 15-20% more than they rated it!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I try to tell my customers that when I say the machine can run at 2,000 ppm, that means it can not run at 2,050 ppm.  Luckily, my machines do not kill people if they fail, just production numbers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually just watched that video a few days ago. Old pilots and bold pilots, as the saying goes...

Quoted:
I was at the air races in reno for the one in 2011 and the screams of people are ones that you will never forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAxcULldm0
View Quote
Less than a month after that I was almost hit by a giant scale RC Stiletto Mustang coming down the same way
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Funny, that video came up on my youtube suggested videos last week.  

This one was interesting, although no death and mayhem you can see how demonstrations have been toned down.

SAC (Strategic Air Command) Demonstration team Offutt AFB Pt1
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Guess you never saw the 100's of shows that Bob Hoover put on in a Shrike Commander?

The airplane has nothing to do with it, it the control inputs from the pilot that make the difference when combined with good judgement.

Personally I won't bother watching some clown doing bank and yanks when I can see someone else doing graceful aerobatics. Frank Tallman in his Grumman Duck comes to mind.
View Quote
That's the first thing I thought of.. I had the privilege of watching Mr. Hoover wring the ever-loving crap out of that a/c on a couple occasions.  I think at one point he did a 32-point snap roll.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top