Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 12:20:10 PM EDT
Have a day off, and recently acquired smoker/grill to use.

Seasoned it up with Salt, pepper, and garlic.

Started it smoking 10:45.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
2 hours in

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
what's your set up look like, the coal in the pic doesn't look like it will be enough for the entire smoke.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It is certainly not enough coals to last the whole smoke.  I've been adding another handful of briquettes every 30-45 minutes

Also smoking some "country style ribs" that I had in my freezer, and roasting some red peppers to make a harissa.

Gives me something to do at home besides staring at the sun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking good. Eastern NC vinegar sauce and hushpuppies, right?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
no hushpuppies, but tell me more about NC vinegar sauce...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Where's your rub? Looks like it's gonna be dry...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
You need to actually put the salt and pepper on the butts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#9]
A bit underseasoned.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A bit underseasoned.
View Quote
More than a bit I'd say... Not sure what OP's goal is though.   Pulled pork?    If so you'll be adding lots of sauce for flavor at consumption.

Pork butt I usually coat with mustard, then pack on rub so that it almost completely coats the butt.  Plastic wrap it overnight before the cook.  Right before putting it on I'll also inject it with a mix of the same rub and Dr Pepper or Coke. Also make a vinegar based mop to apply a few times throughout the cook.  

Should look something like this before it goes on if you don't do an overnight wrap..

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
My plan is to pull it and eat it with harissa and sour cream.

I am realizing that I do need more heat though...  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

More than a bit I'd say... Not sure what OP's goal is though.   Pulled pork?    If so you'll be adding lots of sauce for flavor at consumption.

Pork butt I usually coat with mustard, then pack on rub so that it almost completely coats the butt.  Plastic wrap it overnight before the cook.  Right before putting it on I'll also inject it with a mix of the same rub and Dr Pepper or Coke. Also make a vinegar based mop to apply a few times throughout the cook.  

Should look something like this before it goes on if you don't do an overnight wrap..

http://bbqpitstop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Prepped.jpg
View Quote
Looks a lot like mine.  Slather on mustard then cover in rub.
Attachment Attached File

Looks like a hunk of charcoal when you're through (between the beans and the bacon).
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Thought this was a cigar thread.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
no hushpuppies, but tell me more about NC vinegar sauce...
View Quote
It's about 95% vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar, but some people use white vinegar as well. Mix in some hot sauce (I like Texas Pete), red pepper flakes, and some Worcestershire sauce, and salt to taste. It's real redneck stuff, and I love it. White hamburger buns, pulled pork, few splashes of the vinegar sauce, and coleslaw on top. Hushpuppies on the side, and sweet tea.

Puts Texas brisket to shame.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]
That vinegar sauce sounds pretty good, I'll have to try that some time.

The fruits of my labor.

I'll probably freeze a bunch of it tomorrow.  I have a baby on the way and will need some quick keto friendly meals here soon.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good man. Pork butts are hard to mess up. Let us know what u liked, and what u didn't like. What temp did u pull at?

Vinegar sauce is unique, but it's what I grew up on. Riles up my confederate soul, but it's not for everybody.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top