Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2017 10:23:48 AM EDT
News link here

A judge was shot outside of the courthouse in Steubenville, OH. One suspect killed, one in custody. Judge is in stable condition according to news reports.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll forgo my usual Steubenville crack.
View Quote
Hoping the judge is ok and everyone involved is alright.

But Ohio doesn't really claim stubenville. It's more WV than Ohio.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Good to see the judge is in stable condition, and good on that probation officer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#5]
TWO perps? Gang action perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull shit, it's not part of WV.
Word on street is it's the dad of one of the football plays that raped that girl.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Kinda surprised it doesn't happen more often.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#8]
In Ohio, the Probation Officers you see in most Courts of Common Pleas are retired or very seasoned cops.  Probation is kind of an old folks home for cops.  I know lots of them from many different counties and I can't think of more than a couple who couldn't or wouldn't "bring it" just like the PO in question.  They are OPOTA trained and full-fledged police officers, for the most part.  In some counties they see even more action than road deputies.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Judge returned fire
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Poor shot or quick reactions?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9tkMYoOLAhk
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm guessing it's an irate ex-husband and his buddy / brother/ cousin / all three who didn't like the property division / visitation he was awarded.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Glad perp got deaded. Should have been two.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm guessing it's an irate ex-husband and his buddy / brother/ cousin / all three who didn't like the property division / visitation he was awarded.
View Quote
From what I'm hearing it's was a irate dad.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Two people involved in the attack? That sounds odd.
The Court of Common Pleas sounds like it handles felonies and divorces, not much info there.
Probation officer killed one person and another was taken into custody.

You know it's odd how often angry people blame their own lawyer, not the other lawyer or judge. When i was clerking in law school a former public defender said he was pretty scared of his former clients and thought they were often more mad at him than anyone else ie "you didn't get me off the hook." I had a hearing a few months ago where a guy I was questioning went batshit, swore and left the building. You could hear him in the parking lot screaming about how much he hated his lawyer, not me or the judge.
View Quote
Once after winning a felony arson trial, i.e., an acquittal, the "victim" showed up in my office yelling and screaming.  That was the worst problem I've had, thankfully.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#17]
If Dad wasn't the one who was DRT he can be Son's cell mate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#18]
The news account's witness's statement is very Steubenville:

"My alarm went off at 8 a.m., and I snoozed it, and a minute or two later, I heard approximately 7 or 8 gunshots, and I went to look out the window and I seen somebody in a white shirt, probably a detective, kneeling down firing at something, and that’s when I knew something happened down here," witness Cody Allison said.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If Dad wasn't the one who was DRT he can be Son's cell mate.
View Quote
Sons out, he is trying to play ball for Youngstown State.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Good shoot by judge and PO.

Too bad they didn't get both perps.  OTOH, maybe the judge in question can sentence the other bad guy.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Court of Common Pleas sounds like it handles felonies and divorces, not much info there.

You know it's odd how often angry people blame their own lawyer, not the other lawyer or judge. When i was clerking in law school a former public defender said he was pretty scared of his former clients and thought they were often more mad at him than anyone else ie "you didn't get me off the hook." I had a hearing a few months ago where a guy I was questioning went batshit, swore and left the building. You could hear him in the parking lot screaming about how much he hated his lawyer, not me or the judge.
View Quote
It's a "side" thing, in my experience.  Most folks I deal with see the police, the judges, and the D.A.s as being the other side, and their own lawyer(s) as being on their side.  The other side is always out to get you, so whatever, but if your side fails you it smacks of betrayal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I love that the Judge returned fire himself.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know nothing about Ohio, but in NY probation officers get marginal, at best, training, like sometimes a day at the range. That PO brought it though, good on him/her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good to see the judge is in stable condition, and good on that probation officer.
I know nothing about Ohio, but in NY probation officers get marginal, at best, training, like sometimes a day at the range. That PO brought it though, good on him/her.
Courts around me are filled with alot of PO and Leos outside standing by their vehicles, the POs are very serious about their jobs and most I believe are retired leo. Easiest way to spot one is most here carry handguns on the front of their vest.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been lucky. Never had a problem with a criminal client.

i represented a murderer (well
"manslaughterer") on appeal. I drove out to the prison and met with him. Very pleasant, he had an odd sing songey voice. Appeal went okay, forgot about it.

years later I stop at the  grocery store late at night and hear "Hi there!" In that same odd voice and almost screamed. I spun around and there he was. He was pretty cool, staying out of trouble and getting on with life, but God damn I almost shit myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a "side" thing, in my experience.  Most folks I deal with see the police, the judges, and the D.A.s as being the other side, and their own lawyer(s) as being on their side.  The other side is always out to get you, so whatever, but if your side fails you it smacks of betrayal.

"manslaughterer") on appeal. I drove out to the prison and met with him. Very pleasant, he had an odd sing songey voice. Appeal went okay, forgot about it.

years later I stop at the  grocery store late at night and hear "Hi there!" In that same odd voice and almost screamed. I spun around and there he was. He was pretty cool, staying out of trouble and getting on with life, but God damn I almost shit myself.
I have a photo of a first degree murder defendant holding my 1 year old during a break in her trial.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Poor shot or quick reactions?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9tkMYoOLAhk
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#28]
That was a really crappy website. First, my computer screen goes black several times and then an advertisement fills my screen. Then I can finally see the article and the picture of the suspect being led away by law enforcement officers only shows half the image from the waist down.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sons out, he is trying to play ball for Youngstown State.
View Quote
Can we get Emma Sulkewicz on campus to shadow him?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#30]
From what I recall that rape trial was as shady as fuck. Not condoning what the Dad did, but anger drives men to do some crazy things.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
From what I recall that rape trial was as shady as fuck. Not condoning what the Dad did, but anger drives men to do some crazy things.
View Quote
Yes it was, and Stuebenville circled the wagons around the football plays.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are y'all saying the defendant was railroaded?  (Not familiar with the case, just curious)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
A couple of years after I had arbitration for an insurance claim for an auto accident I scared the poop out of the insurance company's lawyer (who looked like a dummy during arbitration and wrapped up with a phony Matlock imitation of aha! gotcha! producing a medical document that I purportedly filled out but the handwriting was clearly not my scribbles).  The other guy rear ended me while I was stopped at a red light BTW.  

My wife and I were at the Dayton Auto Show and I walked purposefully up to a car I wanted to sit in because I always walk purposefully.  There were a couple of older gents standing by the open driver's door chatting, one of them saw me coming and recoiled with a no shit look of fear on his face.  I plopped my ass down in the car, checked it out and moved on to the next car.  Was puzzled at his reaction.  Took me awhile to remember that he was the insurance company's attorney.  Maybe it is that my neutral, relaxed, semi-happy expression looks like I'm pissed as hell thank you gravity very much. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe the judge earned it, in for more details.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are y'all saying the defendant was railroaded?  (Not familiar with the case, just curious)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they tried to protect the football plays that were accused of rape. Then it became National News.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nonsense, Weirton's problem is meth. Steubenville has the drug trade from Detroit and the urban black problems that go with it, albeit on a small scale.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nonsense, Weirton's problem is meth. Steubenville has the drug trade from Detroit and the urban black problems that go with it, albeit on a small scale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weirton problem is Heroin and crack is making a come back from what I hear.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Everyplace's problem is Heroin. But the big problems don't cross either bridge between Steubenville and Weirton.

Wheeling and Belmont County are a different story of course...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Everyplace's problem is Heroin. But the big problems don't cross either bridge between Steubenville and Weirton.

Wheeling and Belmont County are a different story of course...
View Quote
Thankfully, the Chicago boys are supposedly in Weirton and the PD keeps a eye out for them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
POs here are usually social worker types, never heard of a police officer going into it. Interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Ohio, the Probation Officers you see in most Courts of Common Pleas are retired or very seasoned cops.  Probation is kind of an old folks home for cops.  I know lots of them from many different counties and I can't think of more than a couple who couldn't or wouldn't "bring it" just like the PO in question.  They are OPOTA trained and full-fledged police officers, for the most part.  In some counties they see even more action than road deputies.  
POs here are usually social worker types, never heard of a police officer going into it. Interesting.
I never heard of a cop in NY going into it either.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#41]
OPOTA is not nearly as good as it used to be.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
We're taking a very dim view of the whole thing here.  I've been saying for years that this was the way to get a Judge if you really wanted one.  Looks like this Judge had situational awareness and a buddy in tow.  

No amount of shooting at Judges will get your kid out of prison.  Quite the contrary.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#43]
No mention of what type guns were used. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thankfully, the Chicago boys are supposedly in Weirton and the PD keeps a eye out for them.
View Quote
Got to give kudos to the WPD,, Brooke Co Sheriff, and Hancock Co. Sheriff; they've this side of the river pretty quiet.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OPOTA is not nearly as good as it used to be.
View Quote
As evidenced by the joke that is the current OPOTA pistol course. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I love how they refuse to release the names of the attempted assassins until they have had a chance to scrub their social media.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Word on street is it's the dad of one of the football plays that raped that girl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If memory serves, the charges filed against the football players were handled by a visiting judge . . . this judge would not have been involved.  

Is the judge that was ambushed today a juvenile or general division common pleas court judge?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not everything is the Supreme Court like New York.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Judges can be into some crazy shit.  Nothing like having a change of venue because of it.

Most likely though, dumbass, drugs, etc.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn right it"s not....more like part of Pittsburgh if anything
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top